Discouraged

Options
I’m a little discouraged this morning. I decided it was time to get the pandemic weight gain back off. I’ve been logging food and staying on track and walking and drinking lots of water for the past month, and I’ve pretty much been gaining and losing the same pound all month. I’m 56 years old and I wonder if this is it. Is this the time I try to lose weight and just don’t? I need some encouragement.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    z1wim5q1p6xf.jpg
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That’s a pretty cool diagram!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    There’s a pretty long calorie counting learning curve. Keep trying.

Are you using a food scale whenever possible? Makes a big difference.
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    Thank you. I have not this time around. I will get it back out.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Bobbie145 wrote: »
    I’m a little discouraged this morning... Is this the time I try to lose weight and just don’t? I need some encouragement.

No, this is not "the time". It may not melt off rapidly like a few pounds did at age 23, but it will come off. This is the time to tighten up your logging, measure/weighing of foods and keep walking. In fact walk more, dance when you can. It will happen. Repeat after me: it will happen.

• Bobbie145
    Options
    Thank you. ☺️
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate the insight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

Bobbie145 wrote: »
    I’m a little discouraged this morning. I decided it was time to get the pandemic weight gain back off. I’ve been logging food and staying on track and walking and drinking lots of water for the past month, and I’ve pretty much been gaining and losing the same pound all month. I’m 56 years old and I wonder if this is it. Is this the time I try to lose weight and just don’t? I need some encouragement.
    Weight loss happens at ANY AGE if your energy balance sways to a deficit. If you're losing and regaining it's likely due to inaccurate logging in most cases. Do you weigh your foods on a food scale?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 59, and I'll agree that it's harder now than when I dropped pounds in my 20s, 30s, and 40s. But I managed to drop 45 lbs since last June. It wasn't fast, and it wasn't consistent, but it DID happen.

Get out that scale, hit the produce department, find some way to shake your tail feathers 3 times a week, and you can do it!
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I gain when my carb intake is higher than my protein intake. And I am not drinking enough water. Eat more protein and accurate weigh and measure your food and log EVERYTHING. No little bites that don't count/ Everything counts. YOU CAN DO IT. it just takes time and patience.I am 66 years old and it has taken me 2 years to lose 98 pounds and I had several lulls where I hit spots where I was stuckfor a couple of weeks.Its frustrating but hang in there.
    Hope this helps. Good luck
  • Bobbie145
    Options
    Thank you, and yes. Carbs are not my friend either. I have to stay on top of that for sure.