To my American friends....

Options
Tomorrow is a loaded and provocative anniversary. I ask that you contemplate the better angels of our history. And, the better angels in all of us. Those angels that guided us to being the last, best place on earth.

Two centuries ago, George Washington, our founder, ordered that all British POWs be treated kindly and with respect. He insisted that our new nation would be above the old ways of the world. My ancestor signed his declaration of independence. I honor my ancestor's better angels. I aspire to be one of them.

Ten years ago a horrible crime was committed. So much death and bone and blood. So much sorrow. So many years of hurt for so many people.

For myself, my friend Gene, who left this world in an unfair way, with a wife and very young daughter left behind. Gene, who had survived the first attack in 1993, and swore to never go into another building that needed elevators. He broke down and went back. And now his daughter is growing up without him.

All that said, my fellow Americans, let's do tomorrow smart. Let's be better than we've been. Three thousand that day. Another six thousand in other countries since. So many lives. So many mother's children. So many stories without a conclusion.

For tomorrow...

Don't confuse theology with intent.
Don't confuse heritage with inherent evil.
Don't turn your backs, or worse, on worthy sisters and brothers who only share a skin color, or a lineage with people who did very bad things.

People are just people. They all want to love someone, raise their kids, sleep at night, go to the grocery without looking over their shoulders. Let's let them do it. Let's lose the random hatred. It's killing us. It's killing innocent people. It's eating away at our souls.

If you feel it, try to remember a couple of things.

We are a nation of immigrants.
Our nation is planted on the grounds of former sovereign nations we ran off. There should be no pride there.
We have the foundation to evolve (yes, I said evolve) into the best and brightest people who ever were.

We can be better than we are.

A schoolyard fight only ends when one of the two decides to stop swinging. Let's make that decision. Tomorrow is a good day to be better. Let's honor the souls with peace and love, not hate and rage.

To those I've offended, I apologize.

Brett

Replies