I need some advice!!!

Options
:embarassed: I'm still pretty new at this weight loss thing and would appreciaete some help!! What is the best way to get the weight off? Right now I am counting calories and doing cardio but am only losing 1 pound a week I would definitely love to lose more! Am I supposed to eat the calories I earn from exercising or just stick to 1200 for the day?? :huh: Please Help Me!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh no, please don't say "only" 1lb a week, that's a GOOD thing!!!!! Please don't rush it, as that will not lead to long-term success. half a pound to 2lbs per week is generally considered safe. Pace yourself, you're doing great!!
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    omg, I would kill to lose 1 lb a week.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to "net" 1200 calories a day. So if you exercise, eat up to your 1200. 1lb a week is still awesome when you consider 3500 calories equals a pound.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try adding some strength/resistance training. Not only will it burn calories, but adding muscle will speed up your metabolism and make you far more efficient at burning calories.
  • girlypop
    Options
    I agree that you need to pace yourself. There's no rush, once you do lose the weight you'll have to keep up the lifestyle in order to maintain that so you might as well be working on habits and life changes. I would say focus on eating clean, eat your exercise calories and maybe you should look into some strength training.

Anyway you are doing fantastic, so stick with it!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Losing one pound a week is awesome! I definitely lose more when I eat my exercise calories back and net at least "1200" a day. Your muscles need to be fed! Sounds like you're on the right track! Good luck!
  • ginabina13
    Options
    Make sure you you eat at least 1200 a day, but you should eat more if you're exercising. Also, i recommend a combination of cardio and resistance training. You need more muscle to burn fat and speed up metabolism. I wish you the best! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    What "Kick-Started" me was swimming.... So not sure if you like to swim...but if you do...like me, then it really doesn't feel like exercise... IT IS FUN!!! Blessings and Best of Luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:

5768506.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    your doing great at getting 1 pound a week :) smile and be happy

Yes eat your exercise calories

keep doing cardio but also include some weight/strength training in with that

lots of water

slow and steady wins you know
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Do not eat back your exercise calories unless you are literally starving. Pace yourself. If you are losing 1lb a week that's 4lbs a month or 48lbs a year! A perfect amount! Losing weight takes time, Try different kinds of cardio and even throw in some weight training to mix it up! Friend me if you wish, I'm all about taking my time losing! It takes longer to take it off than to put it on!!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I agree that you need to pace yourself. There's no rush, once you do lose the weight you'll have to keep up the lifestyle in order to maintain that so you might as well be working on habits and life changes. I would say focus on eating clean, eat your exercise calories and maybe you should look into some strength training.

Anyway you are doing fantastic, so stick with it!

Agree. If you're serious about being healthy for life, you should be incorporating new and healthy practices into your daily life :) Trying to speed it up will only mean you're skipping steps to ensure that you keep the weight off. We all want a quick fix, but this is real life and they don't exist. Be healthy and exercise and you can't go wrong.

And I eat my exercise calories if I'm hungry, which is most of the time! lol But never eat when you have that full feeling - just my opinion. Good luck.

And finally! 1 pound a week is great!! I know it may not seem like much right now, but it totally is awesome.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Tell me how long did it take you to gain weight from your goal weight to your current weight? Then tell me why you think it will take less time to lose that weight than it took you to gain it?
  • vbooboo4
    Options
    WOW!!! Once you put it that way I totally get it! I didn't gain all this over night or anything so THANK YOU for opening my eyes!!!!! BEST ADVICE!!! =)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Once you put it that way I totally get it! I didn't gain all this over night or anything so THANK YOU for opening my eyes!!!!! BEST ADVICE!!! =)

I'm glad you took it the right way and didn't get all defensive like someone else did when I asked them the same question. The fact is, we don't gain very much weight over night, or a week, or even a month. It does take some time. Losing the weight safely and in a sustainable manner will take just as long. Please don't give up after a week or two because you're not at your ideal weight immediately, take your time, learn what works for you body and have fun. A lb per week weight loss is amazing by the way, good luck!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: I'm still pretty new at this weight loss thing and would appreciaete some help!! What is the best way to get the weight off? Right now I am counting calories and doing cardio but am only losing 1 pound a week I would definitely love to lose more! Am I supposed to eat the calories I earn from exercising or just stick to 1200 for the day?? :huh: Please Help Me!! :flowerforyou:

One pound a week is doing it right. If you take off more, you run the risk of damaging your metabolism and being on a diet for the rest of your life or gaining more than you lost. You want to have at LEAST a new of 1200. This means if you eat 1200 and burn 200, you need to eat 200 more. Otherwise your body may freak out and think it's starving.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    One to two pounds a week is the healthy way to do it. People who do it faster typically don't keep it off for long.

What works for me:
    I wear a Bodybugg to monitor my calorie burn. I aim to burn 1,000 more than I eat each day.
    Example: My goal calorie burn is set at 2600. My goal calorie intake is set at 1600. So that i net a 1,000 deficit each day. This usually translates into a 2 pound a week loss.

I work out 6 days a week (when I'm being "good"), 4 days of cardio and 2 days of strength/resistance training.

I use the Diet Solution Plan for my nutritional intake. My food is 80% organic. Beef, chicken and eggs come from "naturally raised," pastured animals. I don't eat prepackaged food except for rarely.

If I burn more than 2600 calories, then I know I can eat more. If I burn less, I know exactly how much to cut my food back.

It works for me.

God bless!