can i go for a marathon ?

Options
i am 130 kg i am too 184 cm tall
i made years ago
two marathon walking
i wonder if i can do this today
without doing it as a program (step by step)
this idea come to my mind
i need to walk marathon and i want to do it
and i am in desperate need to do this without step by step
i can imagine that i couldnt do it but may be i can ?
anyone has an opinion on that
i am fed up with my obesity and i want to challenge mg limits

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you trained for a marathon distance? Have you signed up for a marathon race? As you know, at least I hope you do by now that weight loss is created by a calorie deficit and exercise is for health.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can certainly train for a marathon, but don't do a marathon without training. You'll probably injure yourself.

What are you doing on the diet side of things?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Some people could do it, some people would get injured from doing too much too soon. The safest way to challenge your fitness is to follow a proven program, where you increase in smaller amounts each week so your body can adapt.
    Remember that weight loss is like a marathon, not a short sprint - it is not a fast process.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you intend to walk a marathon, you'll probably need to pay attention to cut-off times. Most marathons only allow for about 7 hours to finish the course. *I* can't walk that fast... I'd feel like a 9 hour cut-off would probably be reasonable. But even so, if you walk much slower than 3 mph, you'd have to run at least part of the way to make it work.

Of course, right now, there aren't very many "live" marathons, and virtual ones have much more generous cut-offs - literally, you set your own.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You might be able to walk marathon distance now, without training, but it would be very painful, very slow, and you would probably be unable to move for several days afterwards. It isn't worth it.

If you want to challenge yourself, then respect the distance and be kind to your body. Build up your mileage gradually and work on your eating so that you lose weight before reaching the longer distances.
  • saynow111
    saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your insights
    you really appreciated