I keep dreaming about food

Options
I am obsessed with food! What am I going to eat? When am I going to eat? I am even dreaming about eating. Does anyone have tips to take my mind off of food?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Are you still thinking about food?
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dreaming about food... all of the pleasure with none of the calories!

In fact, that’s one of my triggers to realise I am ‘lucid dreaming’, which is having (a bit of) control over what you dream... I start to feel guilty about whatever it is I’m eating, and then I’m like... “Wait, I wouldn’t eat this if I was awake... I must be DREAMING!”, and then I get to do whatever I want for a little while - eat, fly to the moon with Jim Lovell, or visit my grandchildren... <3
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Are you still thinking about food?

i wonder what elephants taste like? ;) LOL

I do not dream about food but I also don't restrict myself from the foods I want or enjoy.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The joke in our family has always been, "well, THAT meal was good, so now it's time to start thinking about the next one :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with food! What am I going to eat? When am I going to eat? I am even dreaming about eating. Does anyone have tips to take my mind off of food?
    When I quit smoking (2003), I dreamt of smoking for over 2 months. It's not uncommon according to a therapist I know.
    Have you totally cut out foods you enjoy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Y'know, though I can't say that I dream about it, I *do* think about food more than I did when I was obese. And I enjoy that. I like planning tasty things to eat, selecting them, preparing, cooking, eating. I like seeking out and trying new foods that I've not had before.

When I was not managing my eating (so became & stayed obese), I was more like shoveling things in when they were presented or available. It wasn't selective. It wasn't necessarily enjoyable, it was just an event that happened without much thought, most of the time.

Now, I think about food (in a variety of ways) more, spend more time planning/preparing it, and enjoy it much more when I eat it. For me, that's been a plus from managing my weight, rather than just letting it happen. YMMV.

I don't dream about it, and I don't personally feel obsessed about it, though. Lotsa other stuff going on in life that takes up mindshare, besides food.

So, unfortunately, no, I don't have tips to stop thinking about food. Absorbing new hobby, maybe? Meditation? Complicated home improvement projects? 🤷‍♀️
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have dreams about chocolate, but it usually involves standing in a shop deciding what chocolate to buy...exciting, I know!

I LOVE chocolate and know I am not happy if I restrict it. So, I simply save calories every day to allow myself a small treat after dinner, it's win/win.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When I quit smoking (2003), I dreamt of smoking for over 2 months. It's not uncommon according to a therapist I know.
    Have you totally cut out foods you enjoy?
    I have cut foods that I love. However I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so many of them are off limits.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I dream about gardening and plants.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Daniwilford--- I agree that sometimes you have to just spend time trying to figure out better tasting lower calories swaps of foods- check out YouTube videos etc.--Does your thinking about food cause you to over eat so that you gain weight?
    PS- don't but out all the foods you enjoy- that is a recipe for disaster with me-
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was into doing puzzles, like 5,000 pieces or more. I used to dream about the puzzle pieces for nights on end :D Maybe take up a hobby where you can really immerse your mind and lose yourself for awhile, give your brain something else to obsess about. Best of luck to you! :)
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    What does your diet look like? As someone else questioned, have you cut anything out? How steep is your deficit?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm always thinking about food. I like food. Why would you want to take your mind off of it?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Ha! This made me laugh. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, my first job gave 2 weeks off at Christmas... can you even imagine that now? Anyhow, on a long Christmas vacation in the country, I gardened in my sleep every night except the night I played golf. Unfortunately, I am a better garden appreciator than I am an actual gardener, so dreaming might be my highest manifestation. I suck at golf, so dreaming is probably my highest manifestation there, too.

OP, I dream about food, too. Usually it's about what I'm going to prepare and how with ingredients on hand, kind of like a puzzle. It's always low stress and enjoyable. Like Elisa said, when you love food, you love food. Asleep or awake. I would say don't beat yourself up about that. But I also always say it is worth the extra effort to be sure you have dialed in your calories appropriately for your CW & goal. Might be a good time to check that but if your nutrition is all good, enjoy the dream!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

When I've been working near poison ivy and trying very hard to avoid it, I dream about poison ivy.

0edbac4a-e2c3-4d04-a382-fc3f26962fa7.jpg?w=800&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format%2Ccompress