Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Honest opinions on weight loss surgery

123457»

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    edited January 2021
    I struggled with my weight for years. I finally joined a clinic and had gastric bypass. I was in the clinic for just over 2 years before my gastric bypass. I met with a dietitian, psychologist, doctor, nurse, and had numerous classes to complete. I hit my goal weight 7 months after surgery and had my tummy tuck with muscle repair and liposuction on December 10, 2020. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have to say that losing the weight is easy with gastric bypass but the mental and physical aspect of the surgery is NOT easy.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2021
    Mentally my mind has been set against it, feeling most can achieve results without this intervention.

But the data shows it delivers very positive outcomes in a number of areas. Whether it's just the surgery or the wraparound services, it seems to be generally effective (but not universally)

Quick fix or long-term cure? Pros and cons of bariatric surgery

How effective is bariatric surgery?
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Best way to lose weight. Effective vs diabetes type 2. Effective in hunger management because it suppresses some hormones that create hunger. You will regain some weight eventually, but not that much. There 4 or 5 different types a GI will talk to you about it. Most doctors won't throw you on operation table, they will try first more conventional approaches like diet and exercise.
    One of my favorite doctors is Garth Davis, a GI, and on YouTube he speaks a lot about it. Would I go for it? If I was 400lbs, tried really everything else and I didn't get results, yes I would. Problem is that many people aren't ready to try every other possible option.
  • gigius72
    edited January 2021
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    Best way to lose weight. Effective vs diabetes type 2. Effective in hunger management because it suppresses some hormones that create hunger. You will regain some weight eventually, but not that much. There 4 or 5 different types a GI will talk to you about it. Most doctors won't throw you on operation table, they will try first more conventional approaches like diet and exercise.
    One of my favorite doctors is Garth Davis, a GI, and on YouTube he speaks a lot about it. Would I go for it? If I was 400lbs, tried really everything else and I didn't get results, yes I would. Problem is that many people aren't ready to try every other possible option.

I would disagree with this part of your statement. I have known 5 people who have had the surgery and 4 of the 5 were back close to their pre-surgery weight within 2 years of the surgery.

The surgery itself is not a miracle cure for obesity. Nobody will keep the weight off unless there is a strong focus by the weight management team on dealing with the issues that got the person to the weight problem in the first place.

Not my statement, I'm not an expert. It's coming from a seminar of GI doctors. Go tell them they don't know what they are talking about.
    I couldn't find that video, but this doctor tells about it. You can skip to minute 20
    https://youtu.be/3hapAjMWmhw
  • gigius72
    edited January 2021
    Yes it is basically what he said. According to your paper % of failure goes from 50% to 5%. Forgive me I don't remember which one he said in the video they use mostly and which one has the highest failure percentage.
    I don't remember if it was in this video (I didn't watch it again sorry) or in the seminar one, but it was said more than once that the patient would no longer go back and eat like before. I know this doctor (Garth Davis) tries diets and exercise before the surgery... And yes he's vegan, but he's been criticized also by vegan community (very stupid in my opinion) because he said he uses conventional diets... All he can do for the patient to accept.
    It's obvious that the level of success is always on the patient. And yes, if there is actually an eating disorder the doctor should refuse the surgery, because it's clear that the patient will fall back in bad habits. I think they also mentioned malabsorption after the surgery.
    I'm pretty sure we all agree a diet is the best choice. But an insurance won't pay for a procedure on a 200 lbs guy (at least I hope). We are talking about 350 and up. People who is risking their life.
    Diabetes type 2 is a dietary disease. It is curable with an appropriate diet. So yes this procedure cures it, but we go back to the question "can't you eat the right way now, instead of after the surgery?"
    I can't vouch for neither option. I'm not in that situation and I don't know what I would do...
  • gigius72
    Everyone has the power to do it naturally.. seek psychiatric help... problems in your mind not your body.. surgery should be a last option is too many risk involved and it's a medical procedure that makes you not able to consume very many calories that's why you lose weight and what surprises me is that people that go to have the surgery have no problem with a two or three weeks before eating the low calories the doctor prescribes before surgery. And are successful losing the weight..
    Why is that?
    Because it's in their mindset. (if I don't do this I can't have the surgery and they really want the surgery.) ... bingo... it can be done it's just changing their mindset.

Losing weight is hard... it takes knowledge determination motivation and discovery on the real reason why you're overweight and overweight... you're not just a hundred or 200 or 300 lbs overweight because you just wanted something to eat.. find the root reason..
    Weight loss surgery is the easy way out and it doesn't change your mind.. why is it easy because it doesn't require the discipline to obtain it.. which is why the percentage it's high of those that gained weight back... why do you lose weight after surgery because you had a medical procedure that prevents you from overeating otherwise you get very sick... it's not because you suddenly had an epiphany and you decided to only eat 1000 calories a day.... it also prevents you from eating certain types of food again...
    But we live in a world where people want instant gratification and we don't want to work for anything so it is what it is...

If you watched the video I posted, the doctor explained why they can lower the calorie intake.
    Depending on the type of surgery, your stomach might lose the capability to stretch. It stops producing the hormones that tells the brain "I'm hungry". There are different reasons.
    Fat shaming people is an awful behavior. Morbid obesity is now declared a real disease and health insurances cover for the surgeries.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I don't believe I was shaming.. But your are entitled to your opinion... As the title states... "opinions"... Lol.. As soon as someone has a, strong opinion that's not presented all fluffy cuddling *soothe your ego* manner, people get their dander up.. Maybe we should label *emotions * as diseases.. People taking things too personal, not controlling there emotionals and overreacting..all to console their own insecurities... Oh wait.. We already have meds for that.. Lol
    Of course it's declared a real disease just like everything else is labelled as a "disease".. Anything for the government to make money.. Or sell medication for.. Lol that's another debate... Lol

I reread your post and I didn't see anything shaming in it. Maybe some harsh realities that might exist depending on the severity of the weight, but not insulting.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Sadly my five friends who had surgery all gained back the weight even though they had counseling. No matter what method one uses it is hard especially when you have a lot to get off. Our habits and mind set sure trip is up. I know how I got this extra 45 lbs but just stayed out of control. My doc said diet just means what you eat, weight is in control eating for our needs vs out of control eating for our wants.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    No opinions but a couple data points: 2 friends had it, one regained it all within 2 years and one kept it off.

My heart breaks for the regainers. It seems like a terribly limiting way to have to eat for the rest of your life, and to have all the downside without the upside must be crushing.