2 way radios for biking?

Options
Any recommendations? When we bike as a family it would be nice to be able to chat with my husband without having to yell at each other side by side (cans sandwich the kiddos between us)... and a friend is wanting to get started biking again this year, another good time to use it. Just not sure where to start. Not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars, but $100-$200 is doable (looking ahead with our spring budget).

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Couldn’t you do this with cell phones? Unless, of course, your cell phone plans don’t allow it.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I guess, but my battery isn’t always reliable, and some of the areas don’t have much cell service... just 20 minutes north and both our phones go out for the neighboring state (we live in a panhandle and for some reason crossing state borders throws things all out of whack). Plus wind noise... I am thinking something designed for bikes/motorcycles would have that issue taken care of.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Years ago we bought cheap ones from target and they were plenty good enough for what you’re talking about. We used them for farming. Talking pickup to tractor, etc. but that was long, long ago. Sorry I can’t help today.
  • mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought a set about two years ago for disaster preparedness and back country hiking. The model I went with is the Midland gxt1030g. I think for biking you would definitely want to get a style that accepts an external microphone/earpiece and this particular model has that. This is the only radio I have used so I can't really compare it to anything, but I has worked awesome for close range communication (line of sight) like you would have with biking. The model is listed at 36 miles. They use a rechargeable battery pack that can be removed and four AA batteries used in its place if needed. Oh and the two-pack cost me about 70.00. I think it would serve you well.
  • DavWillTry
    DavWillTry Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Couldn’t you do this with cell phones? Unless, of course, your cell phone plans don’t allow it.
    Unless you want others to join you. I don't know how to have group calls on my cellphone.

Searching for "FRS radio" on Amazon shows plenty with earpieces, from $30 to $60 (approx). I think it is a great idea for group rides! :)

• DavWillTry
    DavWillTry Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    These look perfect for cycling. DeWalt radio

Get them and let us know how well they work. B)