Whey protein cause weight gain?

Options
I have lost 2-4 pounds a week since June. This is the first week that I didn't lose weight and I actually gained 2 pounds. I added whey protein to my post-workout routine a little over a week ago. I haven't had dairy since I was like 5 and am curious if anyone knows if the whey could be causing me to retain/gain weight or if it's possible to gain 2 pounds of muscle in a week.

Replies

• namrettik
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 2 lbs of muscle in a week. The dairy may be a part of it.

Are you counting the calories of the whey and everything you put in it?

What kind of workout are you doing?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've been using whey protein for quite some time and it has never caused me to gain significant weight. Protein, in general, along with muscle, can cause you to "gain" weight, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're consistently gaining, then there might be a problem, but make sure it doesn't have creatine in it - that WILL cause you to retain weight - that's typically what body builder type guys use to bulk up. I suggest whey isolate.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 2 lbs of muscle in a week.

It sure is, I've seen guys gain that much during a bulk cycle. Granted they are eating like 6,000 kcal/day but it is possible.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Also, if you're anywhere close to your period or had a higher amount of sodium, you may just be retaining water and it could be totally unrelated to the protein.
  • cownancy
    Options
    I use the whey protein shakes as meal replacements as part of my weight loss program and to ensure that I get 80-100g of protein per day. You can purchase whey protein that is low calorie/low carb and low fat. Be sure this is the type you are buying. There are many different brands with different nutritional numbers.

You can also buy the powders to which you add water. Read the labels, check the internet for information.

Good luck.
  • namrettik
    Options

It sure is, I've seen guys gain that much during a bulk cycle. Granted they are eating like 6,000 kcal/day but it is possible.

It ain't all muscle, hence the "bulk" part of the name. :)
  • Pockyjo
    Options
    I've had a problem with whey protein as well. I would even notice my stomach felt bloated after. I've tried soy protei, but currently I am using egg protein powder. It has 24g protein with no fat no sugar ( it's sweetened with stevia).
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    No it's not going to cause you to gain weight. Going over your calories and water retention are what make you gain weight.
  • chelleydee33
    Options
    It is not possible to gain 2 lbs of muscle in a week. The dairy may be a part of it.

Are you counting the calories of the whey and everything you put in it?

What kind of workout are you doing?

I do count the calories of the whey protein mix in my daily calories and I only ever add it to water so there's nothing else to add. I am never over 1400 calories and am generally between 1000-1200. Because I eat whole foods and am vegan I have a hard time getting more calories.

I lift heavy (to failure) 3 times a week and do 30 minutes of HIIT cardio on the days I don't lift and 15 minutes of HIIT on the days I do lift. I added the whey protein because at my last body fat measurement with my trainer it showed that I had stayed about the same percent on body fat since I started back to lifting in June. This means if the measurements are correct of the 40 pounds I've lost since 06/11 18 pounds of are muscle. I was very concerned about the possibility of having lost that much lean muscle mass so I added whey protein post-workout.
  • chelleydee33
    Options
    Wow those responses were hella fast - thanks. Thanks for the info and suggestions.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I've had a problem with whey protein as well. I would even notice my stomach felt bloated after. I've tried soy protei, but currently I am using egg protein powder. It has 24g protein with no fat no sugar ( it's sweetened with stevia).

Do you have trouble with dairy? My trainer told me that anyone with any sort of dairy allergies wouldn't want to use whey and that soy or some other form of protein would be much better.
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Do you have trouble with dairy? My trainer told me that anyone with any sort of dairy allergies wouldn't want to use whey and that soy or some other form of protein would be much better.

I am no trainer but have issues with dairy in anything expect small amounts. 2 scoops of whey protein does not effect me at all. Some days a protein bar maybe tossed in as well depending on whats going on. For someone one with an actual allergy I would assume there would be an issues, but mildly intolerance hasn't in my opinion.

Soy protein is a touchy subject in some circles. I have read various reports of to much Soy leading into increased levels of estrogen production. I never bothered to look into the actual science behind the studies, so I am not saying its true, just what I have heard.

Casein Protein should be avoided by someone with diary allergies.
  • Athena413
    Options

I am no trainer but have issues with dairy in anything expect small amounts. 2 scoops of whey protein does not effect me at all. Some days a protein bar maybe tossed in as well depending on whats going on. For someone one with an actual allergy I would assume there would be an issues, but mildly intolerance hasn't in my opinion.

Soy protein is a touchy subject in some circles. I have read various reports of to much Soy leading into increased levels of estrogen production. I never bothered to look into the actual science behind the studies, so I am not saying its true, just what I have heard.

Casein Protein should be avoided by someone with diary allergies.

Soy is very controversial, I definitely agree with that. I've tried it but I didn't like the texture of it. It didn't seem to mix in as well and settled at the bottom if I didn't drink it all at once. I personally prefer whey.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

It ain't all muscle, hence the "bulk" part of the name. :)

You must not know anyone that "juices"
  • Pockyjo
    Options