Avoiding Surgery

Options
Anyone Else thinking about weight loss surgery?

I am starting classes towards weight loss surgery today. The classes are 10 weeks. The thing is that I don't want to get surgery but nothing else has helped. I have just completed 6 months of therapy to deal with issues that caused me to use food to stuff emotions. So I have 10 weeks to show myself I can do this without surgery. I have 75 lbs to loose and am required to loose 15 before surgery. If I can get 20 off by the time these classes end I will not get the surgery. I have tried WW, Optifast (lost 38 lbs but gained it back), Kaiser Healthy Balance, Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig. Exercise is not a big problem problem for me....motivation is. Walking 10,000 steps a day is very doable for me along with strength training.

Replies

• Keishla2993
    Keishla2993 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I am actually in the process although I am trying to lose it on my own
  • bryanrounds33
    bryanrounds33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting that surgery where they make a slit in your belly button and then suck all the vascular fat that sits on top of your muscle out. It would have made my stomach flat, but I still would have been out of shape. So my thinking is let me try one more time! It was gonna cost $5000 I probably would have lost 30 pounds as a result of the surgery, and they do say once you get that type of surgery done you tend to work out more. Studies have shown human nature works harder for what they have then for what they can get
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting that surgery where they make a slit in your belly button and then suck all the vascular fat that sits on top of your muscle out. It would have made my stomach flat, but I still would have been out of shape. So my thinking is let me try one more time! It was gonna cost $5000 I probably would have lost 30 pounds as a result of the surgery, and they do say once you get that type of surgery done you tend to work out more. Studies have shown human nature works harder for what they have then for what they can get

I don't believe that after paying $5000 for surgery you will work out more
    I think you would achieve a lot more and feel better about yourself if you lose the weight without surgery.
    You can do it, but it will not be overnight, it is going to be a long slow progress, but if you stay focus you will get there (will you fall off the wagon some times, of course)
    I lost 24 lbs a couple of years ago, never felt better in my life, but I became lackadaisical and hence the weight returned. Now I am more determined than ever to rid myself of it - a slow process
    A lot of people on here will tell you the same thing, it's slow, but the joy of getting there finally it worth all the effort.
    Get yourself a food scale and weight everything that goes in your mouth - it's tedious, but you will be surprised how much stuff that you just pop into your mouth adds up.
    Save that $5000 for your emergency or life happens fund and get a move on - this time next year, you will be asking yourself - was I really going to pay $5000 for surgery?
    If food is your problem, check out my diary, it may not be to your liking, but if one thing from there can help you, that will a blessing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's 2lbs a week and if well under 200lbs and over 5'1" it's pretty aggressive. Not that it can't be done, but it would be a lot of discipline.
    What are your stats?
    Height, weight, age?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png