should i invest in a mini-bar fridge?

Options
Hey all,

so as I'm 19 and still living at home (not for much longer hopefully) I pre much just have to put up with the food that my rents have in the pantry/fridge - none of which is healthy. If they ever buy fresh fruit and veg, it will be gone within a day and then I am stuck with the rest of the food which is not healthy at all. I have tried buying my own food and putting in there but then my 2 teen bros decided to eat it all.

Just wondering, do you think it would be worth the investment to maybe get a mini fridge to stick in my room and then I can buy my own fruit/vege for this or do you think that this would be too crazy?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound crazy to me.
    I would also invest in a lock for it too, just in case your brothers have a liking for your food.
    Or perhaps talk to your brothers and you could all talk to your parents about getting healthier food in the family fridge.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    no i wouldnt.
    i thought about it before,
    bought one.
    they make SO much noise, u cant keep it in your bedroom without lobbing things at it!
    i wouldnt waste ur money!
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, then definitely. If money is tight, it might be worth bringing out the problem (diplomatically) over dinner. Explain how you are working very hard to lose weight, and you'll happily buy your own food if nobody wants to do this with you, but would it be okay if you could have a specific shelf in the fridge for your just food. And also explain how you don't have much money so you'd appreciate it if everyone would mind not eating food from said shelf.
  • weelee87
    weelee87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    good idea but just watch out they can be really noisy so might wake you up in the middle of the night. Could you not just suggest to your rents/bros that you have one area/box in the fridge that is your food and your food only?! or would they still munch it?! I'm lucky as I grew up with a sister that doesnt eat much, tho I do live with my boyfriend now and he will eat a whole bar of chocolate without asking me if I want a piece, but he only eats the unhealthy stuff so helps me really :laugh:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would buy one in a heart beat...Hopefully you can find one thats affordable.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have my own shelf in the freezer, my rents are well trained tho lol. It does help because then it's easier to see what's available to you food wise, you could start labelling things and anything someone else eats has to be replaced by them? I would agree with the fact that personal one is noisy and if I'm thinking right they pump out a tonne of heat out the back?
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    They're awful, I have one and it's so loud I never use it. And it makes everything taste kinda funny!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have talked to them about it but it did not make a difference, they still took my food even after i labelled it and talked to them about it.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You could always buy a picnic cooler, and freeze an empty milk container full of water for ice. That way it is quiet. Keep the stuff your bros like to eat in it, and the stuff they aren't interested in, in the fridge. Invest in a lock on your bedroom door to keep the bros out. (I had 4 bros, so I know what it can be like.)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You could always buy a picnic cooler, and freeze an empty milk container full of water for ice. That way it is quiet. Keep the stuff your bros like to eat in it, and the stuff they aren't interested in, in the fridge. Invest in a lock on your bedroom door to keep the bros out. (I had 4 bros, so I know what it can be like.)

This is actually an awesome idea! Thankyou!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    YES. I also have two brothers. I purchased a mini-fridge for my room and it was one of the best buying decisions I've made. I got a small one without a freezer, so it is very quiet and I don't have to worry about defrosting. My brothers don't live here at home anymore, but it's still so useful to keep fruit and yogurt in my room to steer me away from snacking on chips.

This is the one I purchased: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-1.8-Cu-Energy-Refrigerator/8250831

Here is a recent picture of mine: http://i.imgur.com/AHxLf.jpg