Time-shift on the edge of tomorrow.

Options
amarkula
amarkula Posts: 15 Member
My rhythm of day begins later that most people, so is there any easy way how I assign a time shift to MFP so that new day starts at 0500 and not at midnight.

Reasoning is that as far as I know humans don't have clocks inside, so that feels forced discipline. It's just a little bit annoying to click back every time I type in my "late snacks" that are actually not that late. I do count my Joules by calendar day, So that it stays sane, when I have to change my "circadian rhythm" or what ever it's called back to another shift.
I know another phone would be most easy way, and I tried it on android 4.4, but that didn't work anymore.

Any ideas? good, bad and even ugly ones appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no there is not. just pretend the day is whatever time you want it to be, your body wont care and it wont make a difference on mfp stats
  • amarkula
    amarkula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yeah, I made custom names for categories as time intervals, but its only half of the solution.
    I guess people working in shifts is still too small minority group.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    You could change your time zone. But yes otherwise time intervals instead of meal names is the way forward, all you'd have to do is log anything from before 5am to the previous day, not exactly a hardship.

It really doesn't make much difference though as it's what you do long term not day-to-day that affects your weight trend. Your body doesn't cut off your calories at midnight, regardless if MFP does.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    amarkula wrote: »
    My rhythm of day begins later that most people, so is there any easy way how I assign a time shift to MFP so that new day starts at 0500 and not at midnight.

Reasoning is that as far as I know humans don't have clocks inside, so that feels forced discipline. It's just a little bit annoying to click back every time I type in my "late snacks" that are actually not that late. I do count my Joules by calendar day, So that it stays sane, when I have to change my "circadian rhythm" or what ever it's called back to another shift.
    I know another phone would be most easy way, and I tried it on android 4.4, but that didn't work anymore.

Any ideas? good, bad and even ugly ones appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, you can change what time zone MFP tracks, to correspond to your own personal midnight. For instance, here in Central Standard time zone, if I wanted my own personal midnight to come one hour earlier, I'd shift to Eastern Standard, and if I wanted my own personal midnight to occur at 1am, I could set my time zone as Mountain Standard Time. This hack will allow for a fitness tracker, as well. It will sync your data to the proper day as determined by the time zone that MFP is set to. Here is the link to set your time zone: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/timezone

It sounds like you want to shift 5 time zones to the West of wherever you are now. Here is a map that might help you accomplish that. https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

To consider: There may be difficulties with Daylight Saving Time if your area observes it, and the fake time zone you select doesn't, or vice versa - but I personally don't eat right up to midnight, or the hour after, either - it probably won't be a huge issue.