Why do I burn out after a month

Options
Idk what type of food to eat to avoid this
I eat 1500 cal
Do about 5000 steps
I do suffer from depression
I’ll answer any questions that I may not have provided.

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Are you male or female and if male,, what do you have your lbs per week loss goal set to (1500 is the lowest mfp goes for men so you may be cutting your calories too drastically)? Also, do you try to eliminate a bunch of foods you normally enjoy?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Boredom maybe? Are you eating a fun variety of foods? Maybe alternate walking with some other activity? Set small goals and when you hit them, give yourself a reward. (I know many disagree with that but it can work for some people and it doesn't have to be anything food-related or extravagant).
    How much do you have to lose? What if you eat the 1500 calories 6x a week then give yourself a maintenance day for a bit of a break?
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Are you male or female and if male,, what do you have your lbs per week loss goal set to (1500 is the lowest mfp goes for men so you may be cutting your calories too drastically)? Also, do you try to eliminate a bunch of foods you normally enjoy?

Female
    1 lb
    No I eat anything I want as long as I’m in the 1500 range
  • arrowprayer
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Boredom maybe? Are you eating a fun variety of foods? Maybe alternate walking with some other activity? Set small goals and when you hit them, give yourself a reward. (I know many disagree with that but it can work for some people and it doesn't have to be anything food-related or extravagant).
    How much do you have to lose? What if you eat the 1500 calories 6x a week then give yourself a maintenance day for a bit of a break?

I do Instagram exercises too and those really tire me out a lot. I switch them up so as not to get bored.

I could try a maintenance day but I don’t have too much trouble sticking to my calories

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Are you progressing like you want? If you see effort and EXPECTATION is much higher compared to results, people that suffer from depression could see that as failure and why bother.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arrowprayer
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Are you progressing like you want? If you see effort and EXPECTATION is much higher compared to results, people that suffer from depression could see that as failure and why bother.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I’m expecting to lose 1 lb a week
    I gained 2 last week and yes it is very discouraging. I ate within in my calories and worked out as planned.
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I gained 2 last week and yes it is very discouraging. I ate within in my calories and worked out as planned.

Sounds like your "burnout" might be sounding a little more like some high or unrealistic expectations.
    I'm F, too...any time I start the weight loss process, it usually takes about a month before I start seeing any actual results on the scale. I'm not seeing rhata true for everyone...but I am saying that the weight loss doesn't always happen immediately on the scale, and certainly not like clockwork. You may have weeks where you see a loss, then a week or two where you night be up a little. This is usually due to things like overeating one day/eating a salty meal...hormones, especially around TOM...muscle repair from exercise...so many things.
    So maybe you have burnout from foods, but it also sounds like you will need to have some patience too. Unfortunately, this process is not fast, so you will need it!
    Setting some goals outside of the weight loss process too...maybe achieving a yoga pose you never could before, or walking a mile faster than a previous time, lifting a heavier weight, or something like that.
    It's like that old adage about a watched pot never boiling...same idea. You'll drive yourself crazy by hyperfocusing and stressing over weight flunctuations.

Yes on the bolded!! It sounds corny, but I started a gratitude journal. I try to write something I am grateful for each day (not always perfect on that, LOL) and I've started to jot down non-weight loss related goals every week.

Some other suggestions:

If you're bored with food, what about checking out a new cookbook and trying a new recipe?
    If you're bored with exercise, what about seeing if there is a Zoom class you could try?

Also, please give yourself some grace. The last year has NOT been easy. You'll get there. Trust the process and most importantly, trust yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know water weight "gain" is discouraging, but hang in there :)

I gain around 4 pounds when I ovulate and somewhat less premenstrually. Because of this, I compare weights to the same point in my cycle last MONTH, rather than last WEEK.

I gained 7 pounds when I started working out again. I knew it was water weight and just hung in there.
  • arrowprayer
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise cals? Or are you eating 1500 cals, burning a load from exercise and effectively eating a NET number that's far fewer cals than you need?

I don’t eat my burned calories

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you could do is ask yourself that question, like really do a deep dive into it, having read all the suggestions here. Were you feeling deprived? Were you just tired of measuring and tracking your food? Are the other things going on in your life so that now is not the best time to try to lose weight?

You mentioned that you were expecting to lose 1 pound a week and getting discouraged when that didn't happen. I can tell you as someone who has had depression and anxiety as well, I do NOT like when things do not go as expected when I'm in a state of depression or anxiety. It's just one more thing that feels out of my control.

What helps me is not having an end date or date in mind to be at my "goal weight." I just planned to lose at a slow rate, but wasn't wanting to be a certain wait by a certain time. I also had to learn to successfully deal with setbacks, because there will be setbacks---whether it be in seeing the scale go up when you didn't expect to, or overeating one day and exceeding your calories.

I definitely agree with others in giving yourself grace and going easy on yourself. You don't have to be perfect, just working on getting better.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi. Sorry to hear you're struggling. Depression makes it hard to do anything - add onto that this past year, coronavirus, and I'm not surprised you're struggling to stick to your 1500 calories.

It's probably not to do with the type of food you are eating really and I don't think that switching out one food for another will necessary help you. I think it's more to do with what's going on with your mental health and that could be something to look at first, or in conjunction with this. Do you have support with your depression?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise cals? Or are you eating 1500 cals, burning a load from exercise and effectively eating a NET number that's far fewer cals than you need?

I don’t eat my burned calories

That possibly goes a long way to explaining your burnout. Eat at least a fair percentage of your exercise calories, give it 6 weeks and see how you're doing then. I always eat 100%, but I'm quite confident that the calories calculated for my exercise are pretty accurate.

MFP is designed for you to log your exercise and eat those calories. The 1500 it calculated, initially, is for you to lose weight at your selected rate without doing anything else.