Cure for Laziness? How do you motivate yourself?

Options
I'm supposed to be on a diet and exercising but I'm hungry and lazy, so I don't think it's going to happen somehow today. This was meant to be my first day. I can't even be bothered to go to the shop for some healthy food. Totally lacking motivation. Wish I could just snap out of it!

How do you motivate yourself's to get up and just do it?

Replies

• rach2705
    Options
    Hello, I was like that on Friday and really wasn't feeling like exercising. However, I kicked my own butt, did it and felt much better.

You can do it, c'mon
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You remember how unhappy you currently are with yourself. You remember that next time you go shopping, you are going to buy even bigger clothes. You think about the repercussions to your loved ones and family if you die before your time because you are unhealthy. And you think about the things you coudl do if you were 20,30, 40 lbs lighter!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    get up and just do it

Just get up and do it. Yes, it's hard, but I'm guessing you've done other hard things in your life, mostly because life is hard at times.....that's just a fact.

If you wait until you feel like it, well, you won't ever get started. The hardest part is getting started.

What are your reasons for wanting to lose weight? Sometimes focusing on those can be helpful to get started.....

You can do this.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    get rid of your television & couch
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I put on a pair of jeans that is now 2 sizes to big for me.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How do I motivate myself? Sometimes I dont.

If youre looking for "eating right" motivation; I guess I motivate myself by the desire to be "normal" and not someone people laugh at or ridicule.

If youre looking for exercise motivation all I can say is do it for 5 minutes. When I really dont want to exercise I give myself 5 minutes. If I can make it the 5 minutes then I can decide if I want to go longer or hang it up. (I read that idea in a book...)

It usually works for me. Sometimes I give up at 5 minutes (or 10). But usually by the time Ive hit 5 minutes Im okay with going longer. It might not be an excruciating workout but at least Im burning calories and moving my body...

Good luck.
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    get up and just do it

Just get up and do it. Yes, it's hard, but I'm guessing you've done other hard things in your life, mostly because life is hard at times.....that's just a fact.

If you wait until you feel like it, well, you won't ever get started. The hardest part is getting started.

What are your reasons for wanting to lose weight? Sometimes focusing on those can be helpful to get started.....

You can do this.

That's what I do when I don't want to anything. Just Do It !!!
  • gigglemachine
    gigglemachine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I look at the success stories on here and google terms such as 'motivation to exercise' 'risks of being overweight' 'amazing beach body' etc etc and it soon makes me get off the couch!!

you can do it! Set yourself a small goal today such as WALKING to the shop to buy a couple of healthy items - by the time you get to the shop you won't want to ruin your effort by buying bad things :happy:
  • bluecutipy
    bluecutipy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get something to use as a goal to help you get where you want to be. Put it where i can constantly see it , and it should help. I bought myself a pair of blue jeans 3 sizes to small and hung them in my kitchen. I almost able to fit them.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i just recommend exercising every day even if you can't control what you eat right now. Exercise every day...find something you enjoy doing...for at least an hour a day. After a week or two your body will start craving the exercise and then you can gradually change your eating habits. My body now craves the weirdest combinations of foods. Usually protein i am craving......good luck! You can do this! Once you start losing, you will become more motivated to lose more!
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    First of all,don't look at this as a diet..look at is as a life change...I don't always eat "healthy" food...I eat whatever I want,I just log it and work out..I do try to eat all of my calories without going over..I don't always eat my excerise calories back unless I have to or if I'm still really hungry..second of all, do work outs that you will enjoy all at the same time..if you have a gym membership,look into getting into one of the classes they offer,such as spinning(cycling)class..if you don't have a gym membership try and get some dvds that u can work out to and try jogging outside when its nice..How do I motivate myself, I have goals set..I want to try and meet every goal..I'm also on a missiom to be a certain size come my birthday..I also look at pictures and say I don't want to look like that in this year holiday pictures...Before pictures always help me...Don't give up already..
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    I decided a while ago I was overweight. (A long while... And then I kept waiting for tomorrow!!!)

My clothes didn't anymore and I HATE clothes shopping.

Then my sister came to visit...

She showed me the site and I logged, for the first time, at the end of a 'normal' day. I nearly choked and never looked back! (OK, so this was 2 weeks ago... It's early days and easy for me to be so smug!)

I think what kept me going after the first couple of days was that I lost a LOT and quickly. Even had a few dreams about fitting into my clothes!!!

Keep your chin up, if this is really what you want I think you can do it!
  • Thechiplover
    Options
    If I am feeling lazy, i just seem to look down and my "fat belly" and that seems to get me going.
  • kassette
    Options
    I used to feel like this, but I've found the more I do, the more energy I have. Ive gone from sitting on my bum all day watching TV, eating snacks, and not even being motivated enough to go out to the pub, let alone get to the gym! To eating crazy healthy, going to the gym four times a week, and working out everyday with a home exercise DVD!

Just start small :) but you will have to really kick yourself to do it at first!
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    :noway: What I do when I need motivation is...Remember why you are doing this. For what ever reason it is this a goal you have set for yourself. You are deserving of being truly happy with yourself. Self sabatage gets you nothing! You can do this I know if I can and am weighing 309 then you can. Make a grocery list and GO to the store. When you get to the store...park as far away as you can. When you get done you will have killed two birds with one stone...exercise and healthy meals. Now go do it!!
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    Look at where you are now...look at where you want to be=motivation. Tomorrow is not promised so live for today...small baby steps is the cure for laziness and lack of motivation. one step at a time. Let's get it!! C'mon!! :bigsmile:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Personally, YOU have to find what motivates you. You could reward yourself everyday the first week. Reward yourself with some skinny cow ice cream or a sundae or cone from mcdonalds. They don't have THAT many calories. When you workout, start out very small, like 20 or 30 minutes. Do that, until you are "loving it". Don't move on, until you are comfortable with eating well and exercising. Baby steps will last longer than pushing yourself to do something you don't want. If you start out with baby steps, then eventually you will love it.

I started working out in Feb. I only worked out for 30 minutes and 3 times a week and would only go when I felt like it.. rather than pushing myself on days that I just didn't want to. Soon, I began to desire the sweating, tiredness, good feeling of going...

Now, I look forward to my Heart Rate Monitor saying how many calories I burned, now I workout for 90 minutes at least 5-6 days a week, and sometimes go twice a day, now I look forward to the sweating! Honestly, my heart rate monitor is a very big motivator for me! I love logging my calories!! It's exciting!!
  • crittytn
    Options
    I logged my calories of regular eating without thought to calories for about a week to get used to the program. After seeing that number, it made me automatically cut down on what I was eating that didn't need to be eaten and get my caloric intake to a more reasonable level.

I've started my workout plan this week and have my own schedule that I stick to even if I think of other things to do.

Then, I have my before picture in a bikini that I look at to get myself going or to not eat that extra something.

If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep feeling the way you're feeling. If you want changes, you have to make changes.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    How do I motivate myself? Sometimes I dont.

If youre looking for "eating right" motivation; I guess I motivate myself by the desire to be "normal" and not someone people laugh at or ridicule.

If youre looking for exercise motivation all I can say is do it for 5 minutes. When I really dont want to exercise I give myself 5 minutes. If I can make it the 5 minutes then I can decide if I want to go longer or hang it up. (I read that idea in a book...)

It usually works for me. Sometimes I give up at 5 minutes (or 10). But usually by the time Ive hit 5 minutes Im okay with going longer. It might not be an excruciating workout but at least Im burning calories and moving my body...

Good luck.

This is a great idea!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm really not feeling like doing anything, I start really small. Just do some crunches or pushups, or take a short walk or run. It doesn't take long and it can jumpstart your motivation.

I also have some specific things I think about on bad days. First, I always remind myself that I never regret working out, but i ALWAYS regret NOT doing a workout (even if its the last thing I want to do at the time). If that mantra doesn't work, then I think about a certain outfit I could be wearing if I was just a little thinner or something like that. If THAT doesn't work, my last resort is pettiness. I think of someone I don't like very much who I would love to be thinner than and realize it won't happen if I don't get off my *kitten* :) hey don't judge, that last one usually works the best! :D

Good luck to you. Also one last thing, read through the success stories on the forums or through the newsfeed to see what your mfp friends have done today. My friends kick butt everyday and they are a huge motivation to me.