Will I be able to notice going from 220 pounds to 150 pounds?

5 9" female, for reference. Any response is appreaciated beyond belief! I'm really scared that my efforts will be fruitles, because I've been insecure about my weight since I was a tween. Thank you!

Replies

• 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    5'10" female here! Yep! You will absolutely be able to notice it, both in the way you look and the way you feel. Even 10 pounds, while tricky to see (especially for a tall female), makes a big difference. Take a sack of potatoes or a 10 pound weight and carry it around for an hour... it helps you feel the difference.
    If you're new here, welcome! There is a ton of great information in the forums, and there are pinned posts at the top of each one, they are really great to read. You can do this!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sometimes it can be hard - you see yourself every day, it's hard to notice small changes over time. You can help keep track of your progress by taking progress photos - you don't have to add them to your profile, but the app does have this functionality if you want a convenient place to keep them other than your camera roll. I would recommend taking your photos in the same place at the same time of day (with the same lighting etc), and wearing the same clothes if possible, to really see the difference over time. Start with clothes that fit snugly and watch them get looser.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Heck yes.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Yes, I am 5 9"... I weighed less than you when starting my loss... I got down to 150 and looked very thin for my build. Certain things you can't help but notice, having to double check if your seatbelt is on because it doesn't pull across your chest. Fitting into an airline seat easily with room to spare...and you actually feel small. And, for me.. wearing belt easily and it looking good was very new and proof I had done it!
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    I am 5.9 and now just over 220. I had lost weight from 220 to 160lb and yes, I was a different person. Then regained and now back at it.Good luck!
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Hi, I am currently around 225. It’s years and years since I was anywhere near 150, although it’s where I need to be, but sadly I have spent the past 4 years seesawing between 250 and 200 and I promise you will notice. I start feeling a bit better after about 10 pounds, sleep better, walk farther, less skin irritation, clothes fit smoother, bone structure begins to appear.
    I hope I’ve turned my seesaw in to a slide now....
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    I'm 5ft5 and I went from 208 to 152 (so far) and the difference is huge. Both visually and what I can now do physically that was difficult before.

That's not to say that the mind can't play tricks on us. Sometimes I feel just as big as before, but I only need to look in the mirror and realise my mind is messing with me.
    I spent yesterday evening going through old clothes and trying them on. That really drove home how much smaller I am now, most clothes looked ridiculous on me!

I didn't like my body when I younger, even with a normal BMI. I feel better about myself now than I did then, even though I'm still heavier now than I was then, and have 'lasting effects' (stretch marks,...) from being obese for a decade. Losing weight in itself is an accomplishment that will make you more confident in yourself. I felt more confident even after losing 10lbs.
    Exercising on top of that also boosted my confidence, feeling myself get fitter, faster, stronger.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    absolutely.

it can take time to see it in the MIRROR. I lost 130 pounds and it took a LONG time for me to see it when I looked in the mirror. i looked the same, to me. In PHOTOS, however, I DID see it. Also in clothing sizes, measurement, etc ;)

Body dysmorphia is a real thing, and to a certain extent we all suffer from it. Often, it takes our minds a long time to see the difference, even after everyone else DOES.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    One way or another, to get to goal and stay there we have to deal with the voice in our head. The voice can say a lot of stuff to trip us up.

There’s a whole category of inner voice stuff that I just lump together as- Not good enough. You don’t say exactly what difference you want to see but in general you’re worried that you’re going to do all the work and then find the results not good enough. Not good enough is the step just before why bother? Which is right before quitting.

Don’t let your brain trick you. Personally I think our brains hate weight loss. The only real way to know if you will like the results is get to get to 150 lbs and see how you like it. You may not get exactly the look you want, but maybe you’ll find other benefits that could surprise you.

I read something in a book that helped me - Perfect is the enemy of the good. I’m assuming we all want to lose weight because we think it will make our lives better. But better isn’t going to be perfect. Perfect doesn’t really exist. Even if we do get a glance at perfect it doesn’t last. I’m maintaining now and weight loss has made my life a whole lot better. And it’s been better every single day.
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    Absolutely. A 70 pound loss will make a huge difference in your physical appearance.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    You will definitely see the difference before/after but you might not be able to see it incrementally along the way.

I did this 10 years ago and didn't take consistent pictures. I didn't tell anyone I was trying to lose weight (for fear of failing I think) and it wasn't until I had lost over 10 lbs that my family finally noticed.

This time I'm taking weekly shirtless pictures. I'm down 12 lbs and the changes are still very subtle at this point.
  • deborahbaker120
    deborahbaker120 Posts: 10 Member
    It would be a tremendous difference.
  • Thank you all for your sweet and encouraging replies. I feel so motivated thanks to all of you!
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    yes you will be able to notice in many ways from your clothes, to shoes, no more rubbing thighs, your endurance will increase. I know this because that;s how I felt when I lost my 1st 70 pounds.ui89mwv0y6qy.jpg
    qmf6gecttu71.jpg