Am I eating enough?

Options
Hello.

I'm after some help and advice.

5 weeks ago I embarked on a healthier journey and started a diet. Portion control, cutting down on goodies and exercise are the order of the day. I enjoy putting my foods into the daily diary and I've dropped just over a stone, currently 16'2. My goal is 15 stone, initially.

Anyway, my main reason for reaching out is that some days MFP won't register my calories because I've eaten less than the recommended. But, I'm not hungry. I've read that too few calories can prevent weight loss, but again, surely I can't eat if I'm not hungry??

Any help or advice would be great.
Cheers.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    too few calories will not prevent weight loss. Did you see any fat people coming out of concentration camps?

What it WILL do, long term, is affect organ and muscle health, brain function, cognitive abilities, energy levels, and hair and nail growth and health (usually more concerning for women than men lol)

It is possible, if you are not using a food scale, that you are actually eating a bit more than you think. Your diary is closed, so in those cases, I almost say that is the first and most likely issue.

If that is NOT the case, and you use a food scale for ALL solids and liquid measuring cups and spoons for all liquids, then there are many ways to increase your calories without increasing bulk. A bit more salad dressing, more oils, a spoonful or two of peanut butter, nuts, higher calories options for foods you are already eating, etc.
  • TomCel
    TomCel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

Diary is now unlocked, didn't realise it.

Take a look. See what you think? Pretty concise recording as far as I can see.

🙂
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary, you've averaged less than 1400 calories per day over the last 3 days. For most males, that's not enough.

You are also losing 2.8 lbs per week which I'm guessing is more than the recommended .5% - 1% range per week.

Eat an appropriate amount to lose .5% - 1% body weight per week (you can be closer to 1% if you have a lot to lose and for a short while in the beginning but you should be closer to the lower end as your weight decreases and you have less to lose).

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Are you actually not losing or are you asking because mfp won't let you close your diary?

It doesn't look like you weigh everything but that's good news because why are you under your calorie goal every day between 300 and over 1000?

Also, as someone who can't intuitively eat, it's VERY easy to eat if you're not hungry. :)
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary, and now I am craving toad in the hole!! :smile:

You are eating a good range, but I notice your fat levels are lower than your goal many days, unless you are on a low-fat diet for medical reasons you might consider adding in more healthy fats, they are high in calories so can help to reach calorie goals.
    I too struggle to get the fat my diet needs, after years of being told FAT=BAD I tend to gravitate to low-fat alternatives, but I have learned how important fat is for healthy body function and I am trying to turn that around. Cooking with olive oil, eating nuts and seeds are both good ways to get more healthy fat and calories into our diets.
  • TomCel
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Are you actually not losing or are you asking because mfp won't let you close your diary?

It doesn't look like you weigh everything but that's good news because why are you under your calorie goal every day between 300 and over 1000?

Also, as someone who can't intuitively eat, it's VERY easy to eat if you're not hungry. :)

I'm losing, I'm just a little concerned that MFP is telling me I'm not eating enough. Thanks for replying ☺️
  • TomCel
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary, and now I am craving toad in the hole!! :smile:

You are eating a good range, but I notice your fat levels are lower than your goal many days, unless you are on a low-fat diet for medical reasons you might consider adding in more healthy fats, they are high in calories so can help to reach calorie goals.
    I too struggle to get the fat my diet needs, after years of being told FAT=BAD I tend to gravitate to low-fat alternatives, but I have learned how important fat is for healthy body function and I am trying to turn that around. Cooking with olive oil, eating nuts and seeds are both good ways to get more healthy fat and calories into our diets.

Ha ha, healthy slimming eats toad in the hole 😉
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    American Toad in the Hole is very different:

toad-in-hole-resize-7.jpg

I made and had British Toad in the Hole for the first time in December. No idea how authentic this is but it was yum!

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/classic_english_toad_in_the_hole/

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__simply_recipes__uploads__2011__10__toad-in-the-hole-vertical-a-1800-f0a14a9081f7409a8f6826fa05b9e784.jpg
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing your food, so it's likely your caloric intake is higher than you think.