Not enough water...

Options
I'm finding it really difficult to reachmy 8 glasses of water and I'm wondering what the rest of you do to reach it. Water is the only thing I drink and I always have a glass with meals. I also always have a water bottle with me. i just never think about drinking when I'm not thirsty and I guess I'm just not thirsty enough to drink that much.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• kdelost630
    Options
    Honestly, I carry around a nalgene of water with me EVERYWHERE so it becomes like snacking, you just keep taking sips and sips of water until you've finished the nalgene, which is a Litre. Two of those throughout the day and there's 8 glasses!
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, I find it difficult to drink 8 glasses a day. Also have a bottle next to me at all times, and have a drink with my meals. I just don't feel the need to drink it when I don't feel thirsty. Some days I can drink the whole lot plus more, but some I struggle.

Not much help I know, but I'd be interested in knowing any tips or advice on reaching the 8 glasses a day.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i just carry around one of those poland spring sport water bottles with me. i buy a new one every week, and just keep refilling it from a fountain or sink. pretty much walk around with it all day.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    Options
    I have always had a problem with it.

I started "forcing" it down (making myself take a drink every so often) and giving myself a little award when I hit my 8 glasses a day (for me it was a glass of wine at the end of the night). And I found that the more I drank it, the more I wanted it.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What else are you drinking?
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you working out....if so you should be drinking the water to replace the fluid you lose. Put up a schedule to drink so much water every 2 hours. I drink 1 bottle of Lipton Diet Green Tea and the rest of my fluids is water. I carry around a CamelBak that gets filled every 2 hours.
  • ValerieSW
    Options
    I keep a thermos of cold water on my desk at work, and I set an alarm for each hour that I am at work (I only work a 6 hour shift M-F). I try to finish 1 cup per hour, if I haven't finished it when the alarm goes off, I drink it down at the hour mark. By the end of my shift I've finished 6 cups so when I get home I only have to have 2 more which I usually have with dinner.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I challenge myself to finish a bottle before I get to work while I'm in the car. Then when I'm at work, I fill up this giant cup and make sure I drink it, even if it takes all day. So that's like half of my day's water there. A bottle or cup before I get home, and then it's not hard to work 3 more glasses in before bed. I had to stop drinking soft-drinks. I just do water, water with lemon, homemade lemonade (not from a mix) and homemade iced tea (also not from a mix). Big tall glasses.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What else are you drinking?

Nothing. Just water.
  • Degren
    Options
    I start my day by drinking a full glass of water. Then, at work, I refill my water bottle at the water fountain every time I go to the bathroom (which will happen frequently if you keep drinking). Then just keep sipping from the bottle all day. Keep in mind that you need to drink 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day. Many water bottles are 16 or 24 ox, so you may be drinking more than you think.
  • hsh0927
    Options
    Are you working out....if so you should be drinking the water to replace the fluid you lose.

Yes I am working out about 5-6 times a week for one to two hours each day. Somedays it makes me crazy thirsty and I get close to 8 glasses, others I'm fine and only get 5-6 glasses in (which is the norm for me...)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    make your water taste yummy :) YOu don't have to have 8 servings of water a day.. You need 11 servings of fluids a day. I add fruit to my water. Yesterday i made cucumber water which is my absolute favorite!! Soo cool and refreshing. If you are working out you need more fluids. As far as my fluids go i count one of my coffees, milks, I started stealing my sons juice (motts tots) and dilute it. decaf teas, and of course the awesome cucumber water.. Other things i've put in my water are sliced oranges (only a couple, sliced limes, watermelon very ripe strawberries (i'm sure you get the idea) i get plenty of water a day now :) Do not count sodas, alcohol, stuff like that.. My OB suggested this when i was pregnant with my son and i've been doing it ever since :)
  • Stuartm1
    Options
    Are you working out....if so you should be drinking the water to replace the fluid you lose.

Yes I am working out about 5-6 times a week for one to two hours each day. Somedays it makes me crazy thirsty and I get close to 8 glasses, others I'm fine and only get 5-6 glasses in (which is the norm for me...)

I would not worry too much you only drink what you need if you are thirsty drink if not don't everyone is different some need more than others remember MFP is only a guide you have to go with what suits you. Personally I drink around 2 pints of water a day on top of the tea /coffee / diet coke etc and I have lost 53 pounds so I can't be doing much wrong.
  • hsh0927
    Options

I would not worry too much you only drink what you need if you are thirsty drink if not don't everyone is different some need more than others remember MFP is only a guide you have to go with what suits you. Personally I drink around 2 pints of water a day on top of the tea /coffee / diet coke etc and I have lost 53 pounds so I can't be doing much wrong.

Well I'm still losing weight but I keep getting "random" days were I'm really bloated and it's only when I didn't drink enough water the day before.
  • Stuartm1
    Options

Well I'm still losing weight but I keep getting "random" days were I'm really bloated and it's only when I didn't drink enough water the day before.

The body changes from day to day it's what the scales say when you weigh weekly that matters I still think 8 glasses of water a day is too much for most.
  • kowai
    kowai Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm surprised people have trouble drinking water. I drink without effort like, 3L every day. I'm a large dude so that may be why :P
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sometimes a huge bottle of water can be overwhelming. Depending on your lifestyle, if you're on the run all day this won't work, having a small glass that you keep refilling can help. A small 8oz glass seems a lot easier to finish than a big liter jug.

When I had an office job, I would bring a gallon jug to work and keep refilling my tiny glass at my desk. It worked really well. I would think, oh it's just two sips, let me finish this and go to the copier, bathroom, lunch, etc.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If its the taste missing how about La Croix sparkling water, it has no calories or artificial crud. I also use True Lemon lemonade, it is only 5 calories and sweetened with Stevia.

Another option would be toset a reminder for say once every half hour on your phone or pc to get yourself in the habit of drinking it.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I've already had 60 ounces and I haven't even left the house yet....I've only been awake for four and a half hours.

If you want to change your life, you do it.