Goal Clothing?

Options
Hello,

I have considered this for a while, but I want to know if anyone else has had success with it. Have any of you purchased clothing specifically to encourage your weight loss? I'm not thinking of buying a whole wardrobe. I'm thinking of maybe buying a pair of jeans or a shirt a size below what I'm at right now. That way, I have something to look forward to, and I can compare my progress with how well clothing fits. So every time I make it to that pair of jeans, I'll buy another pair below that size and so on. I actually plan on keeping all of the jeans by the end to see all of my progress.

Thanks

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I once bought a maid outfit that was too snug @ first so I hung it up and used it as a motivation then after it hung there for bout 6 months I put it on and it fit well! That was the only inspirational outfit I used to get what I wanted, maybe I should try it again then just maybe I could reach my goal and lose the last 11.5 lbs!
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have not bought anything to wear, but I have a whole wardrobe of clothing from when I was skinnier ~4 years ago. Now that I am losing weight this wardrobe is a huge motivator to keep going. I get SO excited when I start to fit into things I wore when I was smaller. So, I guess if you don't already have a skinny wardrobe like me, I would highly recommend purchasing a pair of skinny jeans or something :)
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i actually bought a pair of bermuda shorts right b4 i started this journey and they were a size smaller. i am happy to say i am wearing them now. and they are a little loose. i also have a pair of shorts in my closet that i havent wore in like 4 years im waiting to get back into.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have... but they're too big now! I've decided that when I get to goal weight, I will treat myself to clothes from Nordstrom. They're very good quality and it's a splurge, but it gives me motivation and something to look forward to :)
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hi,

I have many items in my wardrobe that I have bought over the years to 'slim into' and they have all stayed where they are unworn because this only works if you are serious about your goals. Now that I am taking my weight loss seriously I am using these clothes as goals. Just today I managed into a pair of trousers that I have bought about 2 years ago and have never been able to wear before. Its a great feeling and I would definitely recommend it if you buy just one item for each stage of weight loss. My next goal is a dress I bought last summer and my ultimate goal my teeny weeny white jeans in size 8 (size 4 in US) that I will probably never wear but just to fit into them will be enough.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Hello,

I have considered this for a while, but I want to know if anyone else has had success with it. Have any of you purchased clothing specifically to encourage your weight loss? I'm not thinking of buying a whole wardrobe. I'm thinking of maybe buying a pair of jeans or a shirt a size below what I'm at right now. That way, I have something to look forward to, and I can compare my progress with how well clothing fits. So every time I make it to that pair of jeans, I'll buy another pair below that size and so on. I actually plan on keeping all of the jeans by the end to see all of my progress.

Thanks
    Good idea, but I don't like depending on material goods to motivate myself. If I apply the same mindset elsewhere, it would be problematic. I don't need a new handbag for every A I get in school. My motivation is based on ambition and the feeling of accomplishment.
    Besides, happiness and good health are both great rewards.
    But if that gives you incentive to lose weight, go ahead. It would make a nice collection.
  • leannemcc
    Options
    I have a pair of skinny jeans from when I was "skinny" that I intend on getting back into!
    I think having something smaller to fit into really does help with the motivation! x
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of clothes I bought when I lost 50 lbs. Sad to say I didn't get to wear them long but I am coming back to them now!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks
    Good idea, but I don't like depending on material goods to motivate myself. If I apply the same mindset elsewhere, it would be problematic. I don't need a new handbag for every A I get in school. My motivation is based on ambition and the feeling of accomplishment.
    Besides, happiness and good health are both great rewards.
    But if that gives you incentive to lose weight, go ahead. It would make a nice collection.

The idea isn't to be dependent on material items, but it is a way to see my progress. I think because I've waited to do this, I'm rather serious about it. I've almost lost fifty pounds, so I don't think I'm going to stop any time soon. These are not rewards, they're reminders of where I'm going and where I've been. You seem to have misinterpreted my question.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    hi,

I have many items in my wardrobe that I have bought over the years to 'slim into' and they have all stayed where they are unworn because this only works if you are serious about your goals. Now that I am taking my weight loss seriously I am using these clothes as goals. Just today I managed into a pair of trousers that I have bought about 2 years ago and have never been able to wear before. Its a great feeling and I would definitely recommend it if you buy just one item for each stage of weight loss. My next goal is a dress I bought last summer and my ultimate goal my teeny weeny white jeans in size 8 (size 4 in US) that I will probably never wear but just to fit into them will be enough.

That's really awesome. I've definitely thought about it, but I know I'm going to stick with some Goodwill items until I've reached my goal. Honestly, I'm not even sure what my goal is quite yet. I just figured it would be something fun to do. Thanks for your input!