My doctor recomended...

Options
For my recent diagnosis of prehypertension my doctor referred me to the DASH diet. Here's a link if you would be interested...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047

It's not a crazy soup, liquid or grapefruit diet, just gives information on healthy eating :flowerforyou:

Replies

• melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanx thats good information I saved it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of this diet. I would argue with my nutrition major classmates all the time about it.
    Studies have now claim that sodium does not negatively effect blood pressure as originally thought. Also this diet focuses too much on grains, fruits and veges, not enough protein. My concern is that this diet may actually lead to insulin spikes.
  • brbjmb
    brbjmb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension) was shown to lower blood pressure in 2 weeks as well as a medication!! That's impressive! I wonder if it's not the sodium component of salt, but perhaps the chloride.... but this overall is a very healthy eating plan that includes nuts and sweets in moderation into your diet as well :happy:
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    definitely will be checking this out!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you didn't tell me about this...and I'm pretty sure you should have...seeing as how.... I'M YOUR DAUGHTER. :(
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I've been dealing with borderline hypertension for awhile. Sodium and weight loss was doing nothing for it. I was debating going on medication but have found omega 3 vitamins lower my blood pressure and heart rate significantly.

That may be something you think about. I take one vitamin with each meal (3x a day) and has lowered it from 140/90 to as low as 112/75. and my heart rate by 30 beats/minute.