Recommendations for Tea Maker/Brewers ?

Options
I'd like to get into making my own teas since drinking water all the time is getting old. Anyone have recommendations for a brewer i should buy ?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    really..

just heat up water in the microwave
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i bought an ice tea maker... i got it at walmart. it is the best! was under $20
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Get a gallon pickle jar, clean it well.
    Fill with water, toss in your tea (bags? loose in a tea ball? herbs in cheese cloth?) and set it in the sun on your porch in the morning,.... enjoy :P
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a keurig. I get tea k cups, or just shove a tea bag in it. it works fine either way.. makes great oatmeal too.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I prefer loose leaf teas that steep in a tea ball - you can get a tea ball at Wal-Mart and most whole foods stores carry a pretty decent selection of loose leaf teas. I really like to buy stuff from enjoyingtea.com, and if you order from there, they usually send a nice laminated card that shows you how long to steep each kind of tea and how much of each to use, etc...

My husband bought me a tea set from there for Christmas and I usually just boil about 3 cups of water, put the leaves in the tea ball, let it steep accordingly, pour into my teapot, then enjoy for the evening. Some of my favorites are chai, jasmine (this is what the Chinese restaurants serve), orange spice, and strawberry black.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have found that the kettle/tea pot combination works really well.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    really..

Just as my grandma taught me! lol. I tried using an actual tea pot, but my roommate used it more for her soup then I did for tea. It broke in less than a year. Back to the microwave for me! :smile:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    really..

Just as my grandma taught me! lol. I tried using an actual tea pot, but my roommate used it more for her soup then I did for tea. It broke in less than a year. Back to the microwave for me! :smile:

Running plain water through a coffee pot works, too.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Boil the kettle. Put it in a mug with a teabag. If you really like tea learn the right temperature for different tea kinds and buy loose leaves. Seriously, you want a machine to do that for you?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The iced tea maker you can pick up at Target or Walmart is good, I had one until I broke both the pitchers.

Now I'm really into loose tea and have both the "IngenuiTea" and their coffee pot style tea maker "TriniTea" from Adagio

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html?SID=b16a275d86d8bd235b10df9c6e3d370d

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/triniTEA.html?SID=b16a275d86d8bd235b10df9c6e3d370d
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    One problem with tea is that you tend to add milk and possibly sugar to taste. This adds to your daily calorie intake. Try green tea. You can get it plain or with lemon and so on (in the UK, Twinnings and Tetley have very nice varieties). It takes some perseverance but worth it in the end and it counts towards your fluid intake (8 glasses of water a day)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    errr just get a kettle. Boil water. Add teabag (yorkshire tea) steep for a couple of minutes. Add milk.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Do you mean a kettle? Surely everyone has one of those anyway?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Do NOT use a coffee maker to make tea. The water for coffee isn't boiling, and you need BOILING water to make proper tea. Unless you are making oolong.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Do NOT use a coffee maker to make tea. The water for coffee isn't boiling, and you need BOILING water to make proper tea. Unless you are making oolong.

i wonder if kettles are just a UK thing?
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options

D'you know I think they are. I went to Canada to visit a friend and she didn't have one. So I went to the local Walmart (ooo, it were just like Asda hahah) and got one. They had only about 4 different ones, tucked away on the bottom of a shelf - it really isn't their priority. As it was only for my use while I was there, I just got the cheapest one - equivalent of about a fiver - and expected her to chuck it out when I left. I went back two years later and she was using it every day and didn't know how she'd managed without it. And she doesn't even drink tea or coffee.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

D'you know I think they are. I went to Canada to visit a friend and she didn't have one. So I went to the local Walmart (ooo, it were just like Asda hahah) and got one. They had only about 4 different ones, tucked away on the bottom of a shelf - it really isn't their priority. As it was only for my use while I was there, I just got the cheapest one - equivalent of about a fiver - and expected her to chuck it out when I left. I went back two years later and she was using it every day and didn't know how she'd managed without it. And she doesn't even drink tea or coffee.

They are not just a UK thing. Everyone I know has a kettle.
  • tink317
    tink317 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a "Cold Brew" Iced Tea bags from Twinings. They have a Mixed Berry (Nice and refreshing), Green Tea with Mint and an English Breakfast version. It is very easy to make, add a tea bag to a large water bottle (32 oz) and let sit for about 3-5 minutes. Tea is made. Yummy. I also do 3 bags for a pitcher. I've got one 'brewing' right now in the refrigerator.

For hot tea, I bought a Tea Drop from Sunbeam (makes hot tea). I don't know if they still make these. I got mine at Target and my mom got her's at an Ace Hardware.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options

HAHA! american's are too lazy to wait for kettles to boil! all my friends ask me "why don't you use the microwave" when i put my kettle on.
    the tea seriously does taste better for some reason with kettle boiled water over water done in the microwave, but to the OP like everyone is saying, buy a collection of tea bags pick one boil water and put both in a mug,
    for cool i have a glass bottle that i will make tea (double the ratio of bags) and put in the fridge to have iced tea- i've made sun tea once and thought it was gross.

(also a better reason not to used a coffee maker is because the tea doesn't get a chance to steep- unless you are just using the maker for the water and putting the bag in yourself after)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The iced tea maker you can pick up at Target or Walmart is good, I had one until I broke both the pitchers.

Now I'm really into loose tea and have both the "IngenuiTea" and their coffee pot style tea maker "TriniTea" from Adagio

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html?SID=b16a275d86d8bd235b10df9c6e3d370d

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/triniTEA.html?SID=b16a275d86d8bd235b10df9c6e3d370d

The one I'm talking about is specifically for tea, you adjust the time and temperature and it steeps and then releases the tea. I have a kettle and I'm in US. I use it with my InenuiTea.