Scale at Doctors vs. My Own

Options
2»

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Certainly it is possible for a scale to take information into account to make an educated guess about clothing weight. Examples of data that could be used might be gender, height, weight, age, day of the week, time of day, season, location, and current weather. This would still just be a guess, but could possibly be more accurate than the classic "subtract 5 pounds for clothes and shoes". Not sure it would be worth the effort to create such a program, but companies make stupider products than that every day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I'll own the "technical issue" hug disagree❣️

I can only go as far as "companies make equally stupid products"!

I mean stupider would need to come with an extra cake to take 😉
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    My doctor’s office got a new scale about a year ago that you hold the handles, put in your height, age, etc and it tells you your weight, muscle, visceral fat, water weight, etc. on his scale I am always 223-225. Obviously it’s a “high tech and very expensive” (he says this 3-4 times each time he weighs me) scale. He tells me the machine adjusts for clothes on and sneakers on and doesn’t matter what time of day a person is being weighed. It is “scientifically proven to never be wrong”.

At home mine always says 215-217. Not a huge difference, but I was wondering why it is different. I put a 15 pound weight on mine and it weighs it as 15 pounds so it’s not off. It’s on a level floor, not carpet. I weight myself once a week in the AM right after I wake up.

I’m not an obsessive numbers guy at all, but was curious after I saw him yesterday.

217-223 is just a different of 6 lbs. could you have been holding water weight or have had a heavy breakfast?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Whenever I weigh in at the doctor, the nurse normally subtracts like 2 pounds for me bc typically I’m wearing combat boots lol. Add the boots, clothes, and the fact that I’ve had food and water, I’m bound to weigh more there than at home. I’ve always thought of the scales at doctor’s offices as just another scale.