Salad dressing??

Options
I don't know what to use without sabotaging myself? Is extra V olive oil and vinegar okay? how much is okay to use for lets say 2 cups of salad? And what are some other good dressings (homemade OR store bought)? I like lemon and extra V olive oil also, but again I'm not sure if the oil is okay to use. I know creamy dressings such as ranch, ceasar, french are bad... but other than that I'm lost.

Replies

• Timkerbelle
    Options
    If you want a creamy dressing you can make one quite easily (if you have a food processor) from nuts or seeds, for instance sunflower seeds or cashews. Soak the seeds or nuts for a few hours and blend with water and maybe a little vinegar and salt/spices until creamy. They DO have a high calorie count, but of course it's all good stuff!
    I also find that spices really make a huge difference in a salad. A little salt and herbs make the difference between bland and yummy imo (but then again I'm a bit of a salt fiend)
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    my favorate dressing is light rasberry viniagrette and be sure to serve it on the side with your salads you will find that you will eat less that way instead of pouring it on your salad
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I like Newman's Own Light varieties, especially the Ginger Sesame one. One serving = 2 Tbsps but if my salad is small 1 Tbsp is enough.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use equal parts apple cider vinegar to EVOO and add a splash of agave. That's my fav :)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i use salsa...my favorite is the trader joes pineapple salsa...it is so YUMMY
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be "okay" to use? It's olive oil. It's a good fat that's good for you. Don't douse your salad by the gallon and it's fine.

I like using sun-dried tomato vinaigrette on my salad. It's nomz.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Whatever kind you decide to use, try to master the art of "salad shaking" haha... Many people pour dressing right onto their salad and have to use a lot of get it distributed to all the leaves, but if you just put one tablespoon or less for 2 cups and you shake the salad (put one bowl on top of the other with both bottoms facing out and shake it, or cover with plastic wrap and shake), it gets the flavor distributed while using much less
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    just go by the serving size on the bottle.. read the ingredients and nutrition facts and decide what you want to eat. simple as that.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fat free ranch is actually pretty great.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use white balsamic vinegar and lemon, but Newman's Own makes some great lowfat and fat free dressings...just make sure to measure out your servings.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Kraft Fat Free Caesar Italian dressing is really good and not a "creamy" dressing!
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    wish bone fat free italian is really good too, I think it tastes just like regular Italian, and its only 15 calories in 2 tbs, or I'll just get low fat or fat free ranch, hidden valley lowfat ranch tastes the same as the regular too!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My advice would to be measure it when you put it on and then log it! I typically use EVOO and balsamic or raspberry vinegar, but I've also made some tasty dressings using additional ingredients.

For example, this recipe has the yummiest dressing: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/strawberry-and-feta-salad/detail.aspx

I don't use nearly as much on my salad as the recipe suggests, so it's not too bad. And totally worth it... This whole salad is mouth watering good! haha
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't like the fat free kinds, so I allow real Ranch as one of the things I'm not giving up. I count it in my totals though.....
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I found the wishbone Salad Spritzers are pretty good. Im not a fan of the vinegrette taste but these work for me.
  • SaraEllen23
    SaraEllen23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a huge salad dressing fan, I use Bolthouse Farms yogurt based dressings that are lower in calories/fat and don't taste "lite" at all! They're all natural, no preservatives, and only 70 cal/2 tbs. I LOVE the classic ranch! I also do the "shake" method. Everything gets coated evenly.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like blush wine vinaigrettes - I find a little goes a long way.

Though - my most favorite salad dressing is Blue Cheese... which is THE most fattening dressing out there. And low fat and fat free are horrible to me. I would rather go without. What I DID find - I have had salads with apples in them and like that sort of flavor... so what I do now it, measure out a 1/4 C. of feta or blue cheese crumbles (the FF Feta is actually pretty tasty - just don't try to melt it in any recipes) and dump about 1/2 C of apple sauce on my salad. (no sugar added applesauce, of course!) I figure it probably cuts out about a bazillion calories from my salads.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for one of my favorites!

Persian Salad Dressing
    1 Tblsp. Olive Oil
    3 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1 clove garlic crushed (pressed)
    Whisk these ingredients all together and pour on salad greens or a nice cucumber, tomato and onion salad!

I cut the olive oil down from 1/3 cup to my taste, but I like things pretty tart... you can cut the sugar out as well if you wish, or use a little stevia... just remember, stevia is sweeter than sugar! :)

Experimenting in the kitchen with olive oil, herbs and different types of vinegar is actually a lot of fun! give it a try! :)
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I like extra virgin olive oil with white wine vinegar, salt, freshly ground pepper. A teaspoon of oil for me is enough for about a 2 cup salad, especially if I have other flavors going on (a little feta in the salad, peppers, etc).

Of course, I also love blue cheese dressing, like someone earlier mentioned. But since I try to eat about 1200 cal/day, that is saved for a special treat
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ken's low-fat dressings. Also plain balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar. But you do need fats, so olive oil is ok,