Learning more about MFP

Options
I have done MFP a few times. This time so am doing it with friends. I want to learn how we can use this app to support each other. Also, would like to make the weight loss process easier. Any tips on things to do would be great. I just did the MFP 101 and customized my screen page.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you and your friends!

MFP has a Groups feature that you may like; on the desktop site, go to Community > Groups. On the mobile app, go to the hamburger menu > Community > tap the speech bubble icon > Groups. You can set up basically a private forum to chat with each other, post recipes and progress photos, etc. Or you can make it public if you want to allow other people to join you on your journeys. You can also just add each other as friends and like/comment on each other's news feed posts, if you don't want to set up a whole group, but those interactions will be visible to any other friends you all have.

As far as making the actual weight-loss process easier, if you aren't currently in the habit of counting calories, give yourself a week or two of just honest logging. Log everything without necessarily trying to stay under-budget, so you can see how you do eat before getting caught up in ideas about how you should eat. That way it's easier to see where you can make sustainable changes, rather than throwing out all of your habits and routines and building brand-new ones from the ground up. Also, if you don't already have one, get a food scale and weigh everything you eat. Volumetric measures (cups and spoons) are OK for liquids, but solid food needs to be weighed and logged by mass, the margin for error is just too large otherwise.
  • kermit124
    kermit124 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5'2"/ age 29
    2021 SW: 147lb
    CW: 140lb
    GW: 135lb
    UGW: 130lb (according my MFP I should be "133.4 in 5 weeks at 1200/cal" - we will see about that!

DREAM GOAL WEIGHT is 124 but I can't even imagine it! I've been stuck for YEARS due to lack of consistency/laziness. Having someone who loves your body "no matter what" doesn't help lol ;)

Happy to be back in this community! I lost 15 pounds counting cals on this site (1200/day) in 2015 & slowly slipped into old habits.

Now my bras are feeling tight. It's time, hunny!

I have not had meat in 15 years & have not had dairy in 8 years. They both cause weight loss for me, although I was only a teenager then. I also gave up alcohol for all of 2021 after having Covid-19 in December. After 2 weeks of involuntary bedrest, I gained a new appreciation for what my body can do. Humas are pretty bada$$.

Anyway...hi! WE ARE ALL KILLING IT! You guys are awesome & inspring. Something feels different this time. We could be sitting on Instagram right now but instead we are here. Good for us. Lets do this!!!! xo <3