Seriously Need Help

DOUBLED! My weight doubled over the past 18 months! I’ll say it: I ballooned up from 145 pounds to a current 287. Could I BE more upset? Depressed? Self-loathing? I don’t think so. I hate that I’m hating myself, because I know I’m a wonderful person. But I’m in a tailspin, and I seriously need help. I am going to use My Fitness Pal for help with tracking my food. I am turning to the good Lord for help with my heart and soul. But PLEASE!!! If you’ve got even one word of encouragement to share, won’t you do so? I’m single and don’t have a cheerleader person in my home. So I’m turning to you, My Fitness community, to please just tell me to hang on. Tell me how YOU have success.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Take a deep breath. What’s done can also be undone.

The first think I would ask, is everything OK mentally and physically? Are you depressed, stressed, lonely, bored? Have you been fully evaluated by your doctor to rule out medical issues?

Get those items under control first. Even writing down an action plan can help: I’m lonely, I’ll volunteer at this place or join that social group. I’ve got this health issue, I’ll learn everything I can about it and how I can take control mitigating it.

The little bit you’ve said shouts some kind of life changing event.

As far as MFP:

Have you familiarized yourself with the site yet? Entered your data, set a goal, come up with a calorie goal?

Order a food scale, spend a few days playing with it, learning portion sizes, the easiest way to use the scale, metric (more accurate) versus imperial (better than earlier habits but too “guessy”.)

For me, it gmhelps so much to lay things out in a line. A route. How do I get from here to there? And then check off the vistas along the way.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    And you have friends here. No judgement. We’ve all come from our own issues and wounds, so who are we to cast stones?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2021
    I agree with everything @springlering62 said.

Give yourself grace. Take a deep breath.

Now, consider your habits. Which habits are not serving you well? How can you modify them to help you reach your goals? Identified them? Great. Now pick ONE of them, and change it. Just one. Not all of them all at once. Once you have reset that one habit, pick a second one and change it. Rinse and repeat.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 89 Member
    Welcome! You’ve taken your first positive step (joining MFP), and there are some excellent pointers from the very wise and respected above...

No-one can wave a magic wand, but believe me when I say we’re out here rooting for you, and we’ll be with you every step of the way.
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Welcome, I am glad you are here. @springlering62 gave you some great advice. The first being take a deep breath. You can and will regain control. I would agree, look at what is going on with your overall health.

What I am writing comes from my experiences. Don't make a lot of changes at once but choose one or two things you can change. Is there a change that you have made while gaining weight that you an focus on. For me it was mindless snacking and when I began to track I saw just how much "a bite of this and that" added up. Note I didn't immediately stop the mindless snacking, I became aware of it and was then motivated to change. Remember when you are making a change it is not "all or nothing." If you make a change and fall back into an old pattern just acknowledge it and move on. It does not mean you have failed.

Can you add some exercise in? There are some good (and some not so good) videos on Youtube. Some of them are 10 minute chair exercises if that is where you are. They helped me in the beginning. I used and still use exercises geared for seniors. Put on music and dance even for a couple of minutes. It can be a mood booster.

Track what you eat but DON"T judge yourself. You are not "good" or "bad" based on what you eat or what you weigh. If the scale doesn't move or sometimes moves in the wrong direction please dont give up. I know from experience this is easier said than done. You can do this and you are worth doing it for.
  • I think it helps to think about why you want to lose weight/gain control of your eating. Write these reasons down. Refer back to them from time to time, especially when you have a plateau, or generally want to give up. If you stick with a plan you WILL lose weight. I have been on a weight loss journey for about 2 years. I have only lost about 25 pounds in that time. I would like to lose 30-40 more. I have been focusing on making changes that I can keep for life. Making it a lifestyle, not a diet. I have clearly lost weight very slowly which can sometimes be annoying, but mostly I don't care. I am in this for the long haul. I don't want to go back to where I was. I feel so much better about myself. I am not giving up! You can't either. You are worth it. Ask yourself why you gained this much in a short period of time. I do think it would be good to visit your doctor and see if there is something causing this. Also, someone that has helped me get my head on straight is Byron Katie. You can find her books and interviews on youtube if you are not familiar with her. She may or may not work for you and her work requires practice but I think it is very helpful. "I am in a tailspin"- is that true??? Question your thoughts!!! Your thinking is important to you gaining control! Good luck!!