Always over Fat & Protein

Options
I'm always over my Fat & Protein... I have been eating out a lot because I'm in the middle of a huge move and just had surgery and live alone; but isn't there a way to do this while eating out? I have another month 1/2 before things will settle down... and this just makes me want to eat more! And I have no extra time. I work full time, part time and go to nursing school.....I'm now dealing with severe migraines and go for an mri on monday.

Replies

• wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Well, we all know that being over on FAT is bad but don't worry about being over on Protein...your body needs Protein.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Just glanced at your diary and your protein levels are set really low anyway. MFP has them automatically set for 15% which is crazy low so you may want to readjust those settings. But as the numbers are right now your protein is really not even a little high.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well, we all know that being over on FAT is bad but don't worry about being over on Protein...your body needs Protein.

what? really the only fat i would limit would be synthetic fats like trans fat. fat isn't evil

Siri-Tarino PW et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Mar;91(3):535-46

"CONCLUSIONS:

A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD."
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind, but I took a peak at your food diary. I think you really need to start tracking fiber and incorporate LOTS more fruits and veggies and whole grains. Your food is predominantly high-fat processed stuff and fast food. As a result, it doesn't look like you get to eat very much. Seek out "high nutrient" low-caloric foods and you will not only be healthier, but you will feel better too.
  • neil3125
    neil3125 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    how do you make changes to these daily goals? i can't seem to find that anywhere in the settings. thanks
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein isn't a bad thing and can even help weight loss. Unless you're having really excessive amounts you won't do any harm (and you probably wouldn't get that without an equally high amount of calories) The guideline of 45-55g of protein that you find everywhere is more of a minimum, and if you're exercising it should be more.

With fat, if you know it's temporary I wouldn't worry, try and find some foods with the healthier fats and as long as your under your calories it shouldn't negatively effect your weight loss. Where the amounts of fat/carbs/protein really matter is when you are close to your goal and want to work on specific, cutting body fat further, building muscle, and changing the body in more strict ways than just by weight.

You can also change around your %'s of fat/carbs/protein in goals>custom goals. There is no specific ratio that suits everybody, so it's more just finding out what ratio works best for you. I have mine set to 35% fat and carbs, and 30% protein.
  • PhatChic1186
    Options

Exactly...Being over in fat is bad and protein is great to be over in...Try watching what you eat..You said you go out to eat a lot..try to get Grilled chicken,or fish with veggies..Try to stay away from fatty fried foods when u go out..
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I was always over on protein, too, so I asked my doctor about it. After talking to him and doing some research, I really feel that the protein count on MFP is a little on the low side, so I wouldn't stress about being a bit over (it's not like you're doing something unhealthy like Atkins where ALL you eat is protein).

I glanced at your diary, and only saw a few days that you were actually over on fat, and they were on days that you ate at Mikey D's. If you HAVE to eat there (aren't there any healthier take-out options nearby?), try to stick to the salads; they're not great, but better than the burgers (although you may want to get your own fat-fee or low-fat dressing to take with you).

Plus, bottom line, when did you start your weight-loss/healthy living lifestyle change? It's hard in the beginning for EVERYONE, but with what you've got going on, it's going to be harder. Just do the best you can and refrain from beating yourself up. If you can do nothing more than maintain the status quo for the next 6 weeks and then kick things into high gear after things "settle down," then I say go with that.

Good luck!
  • marbear1397
    Options
    Eating out and having good portion control can be really hard. Especially with all that you are dealing with. Maybe try having cereal, yogurt, or protein bar for breakfast. Those are pretty low cal and fat. Then if you have to eat out for lunch try to go for grilled instead of fried foods. Like at Mcdonalds they have a grilled chicken wrap. If you are hungry during the day fruit is a good option. This doesnt help much I know, it is really hard. Hang in there :)
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat high fat and high protein. I eat low carb. Works for me! And I mean real fats. Butter, olive oil. No margarine or vegetable oil. *shudders* This is what works for me. ♥
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Exactly...Being over in fat is bad and protein is great to be over in...Try watching what you eat..You said you go out to eat a lot..try to get Grilled chicken,or fish with veggies..Try to stay away from fatty fried foods when u go out..

why is being over in fat bad?
  • kristarablue
    Options
    how do you make changes to these daily goals? i can't seem to find that anywhere in the settings. thanks

Go to the Goals tab -> Change goals -> customize...then go from there
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

why is being over in fat bad?

My thoughts too. Obviously some foods are better than others, if all your fats are from mcdonalds etc then it won't be as good as the healthier options. There are several healthy foods that are naturally high in fat, such as nuts. Also, olive oil, red meat, most natural yogurts, butter are high in fat yet will do no harm in moderation, like most things.
    I've recently upped my fat intake and am eating over 100g a day and am not gaining, I feel better with this ratio, and my stomachs slightly flatter than before even as the carbs have lowered. It doesn't work for everybody and different people work well with different ratios but you can't stay it's completely bad.
  • myyovett
    myyovett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    wow you guys are great... I was sitting here crying... it's been such a stressful month. I swear I was going to go sign up for weight loss surgery tomorrow I was so mad! I'm not a very good cook at all; so when I FINALLY get into my new place I hope to get some quick/easy/and cheap recipes..... Thanks so much... I'm not sure if you really know just how much your reponses can mean when a person is feeling down !!!
  • myyovett
    Options
    Maybe I should explain a little more... I also have IBS and cannot eat lots off lettuce; I have to eat more solid foods; I do try to stick to subway, or microwave dinners, sandwiches, etc..... Although I need fiber I have to be careful what fiber because some of it goes through me like water; which add another area of stress to my already stressed out life.... lol... I guess it's just one of those days... hang in there with me .... Thanks so much!!!
  • myyovett
    Options
    Maybe I should explain a little more... I also have IBS and cannot eat lots off lettuce; I have to eat more solid foods; I do try to stick to subway, or microwave dinners, sandwiches, etc..... Although I need fiber I have to be careful what fiber because some of it goes through me like water; which add another area of stress to my already stressed out life.... lol... I guess it's just one of those days... hang in there with me .... Thanks so much!!!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I roast a chicken or turkey nearly every Sunday and we pick at that. A little dijon...maybe even in a low carb wrap, for us, salads. Try to eat less processed foods, too. It really helps! A whole chicken can go a long way and it's your best source of protein. Have you considered doing protein shakes? I love the GNC Pro Amp brand. Pricy but your body will love you. It even has enzymes. :) If you get a gold card and buy in bulk, you can save a ton of money.

./lecture. Don't cry! Smile! We were all where were, once. Your body will be different than anyone else out there. You have to do what is right for you. Experiment. Since this is NOT a diet but your lifestyle from here on in...I'm making this your day one...you gotta find out what is best. Keep coming back here. It is an amazing place.

/lecture /lecture x 2.

xooxox
    Bevy
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Exactly...Being over in fat is bad and protein is great to be over in

Why is being over on fat bad? Fat does not make you fat!! Jeez... are we still in the 90's? Transfats are the only thing you really need to avoid as far as fat is concerned, even saturated fats aren't this evil monster they're made out to be.

Try adjusting your macro's a little. Lower your carbs to like 40%, protein bump up to 30% and fat can be at 30% too.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    With the health and lifestyle challenges you have at the moment, perhaps you could work with a dietitian to develop a set of meals and foods that would accommodate your food restrictions and provide adequate nutritients. I worked with one for a few months to make sure I was finding the right balance to lose weight yet not cause nutritional deficits; the moral support is also very helpful when we hit plateaus and want to give up.

As for being a good cook, there are a lot of ways to make simple foods much more interesting and without adding a lot of calories. You can make a variety of wraps simply by grilling chicken breasts (or buying prepared grilled chicken strips) and adding a flavorful sauce or even using a low-cal dressing. I think you'll find many people on MFP develop an actual eating plan for the week or the day, or at least for the meals that are problematic to control, such as those at work. I prepare mine the night before and then don't have to worry about making time in the morning.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

hmmm starches and grains products kill my ibs, one of the first ways i know i am eating too much carbs