Running app

Options
Hello. I have ambitions of working myself up to a decent running routine but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I was wondering if anyone had tips for an app that could help me get into the swing of things. I currently for exercise am using an elliptical trainer about 4-5/week, yoga 2-3/week, and light weightlifting/bodyweight exercises 3-4/week. So I'm not totally out of shape, but every time I try to kick it up a notch and go for an outdoor run, I'm completely winded after about 10 minutes. So I'm not just looking for an app to track my run, but rather one that has guided programs for beginners to ease into a sustainable running routine. And preferably one that is affordable!!!

Replies

• FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is the most popular. I have never used the program but the fundamentals are sound based on my knowledge of training as a former endurance racer.

If you can jog for 10 minutes, even if you are totally winded, you have a good base to build on. Most people can't do that in the beginning.

Here are the principles I suggest for anyone starting to run:
    1. If you can afford it, go to a running store and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. Expect to pay $80 - $120 for a good pair.
    2. You can't start too slow. Trying to go too fast and too long will result in injury.
    3. Start with intervals of running / walking. The length and speed of those intervals will depend on your fitness but slower and shorter is better, see #2
    4. Slowly (each week) increase the distance of the running part of your intervals over time until you no longer need to walk.
    5. Slowly increase the total distance over time, no more than 10% per week.
    6. Don't worry about speed, you will naturally increase your pace as you get more fit, see #2

As I understand it, couch to 5k follows most of these principles.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I should have added, allow for rest. You probably shouldn't start by running every day. Over time people can build up to that and run on back to back days, but probably not in the beginning.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to respond! That was a lot of useful info.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I really like peleton. They have indoor or outdoor runs. It's not super cheap though. Free one month trial and then about $15/ month.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    One more vote for Couch to 5k (C25K). I've completed it three times already and I love it. As soon as my lockdown is over, I'm going to start it a fourth time. ;)
    If you choose to try it, follow the program as it's intended and don't skip weeks or rest days in an effort to finish it faster, even if you feel the first weeks are too easy for you (I didn't, but I couldn't jog for 10 minutes straight when I first started...). They even recommend you repeat weeks if you find them too challenging.
    Good luck! :)
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I also recommend C25K, I’ve done it a couple of times and it will guide you through not being able to run at all to running for 30 mins non stop. Once I get past 5k, I get bored doing the Couch to 10K program so rather than give up (again) I’m using Runkeeper which I’m enjoying at the moment.