Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Hi, I’ve just started working out for the first time in years so I’m very weak, have 30lbs to lose and was at the point of being puffed when walking upstairs. Food has never been the problem persay, but wine with dinner at home or cocktails when eating out would always then lead to snacks or poor food choices after in the evening combined with a somewhat sedentary lifestyle has made me gain weight. I stopped the alcohol three weeks ago which in turn stopped the snacking and I’ve started going to the gym. However... the scale has not moved even a little. I haven’t gained of course, but I haven’t lost so I’m feeling a bit deflated. I haven’t gone gung-ho at it where I’m miserable or ready to fall over at the gym as i want it to be long lasting. I’m really enjoying what I do now as I already feel sharper in the mind, I’m no longer puffed walking upstairs and I actually find myself wanting to be active. Great stuff... but I also want my self confidence to be sorted out with some weight loss. I wrote down everything I did at my last workout, which is pretty much what I do every single time I go to the gym, which is three times a week every single week. The only change is for example, this record I had to skip the calf machine because I overdid it last week and the ache and stiffness wasn’t the normal kind but painful. But usually that would be in addition to below. Here’s what I’m currently doing....

30mins walking treadmill 2.5mph
45-60mins doing the following...
3 sets 12 adductor 30lbs
4x 12 abductor 60lbs
6x 12 leg press 60lbs
3x 12 arm extension (bat wings) 30lbs
3x 12 rear delt row 35lbs
1x 12 rear delt row 40lbs
3x 12 vertical traction 45lbs
3x 12 pectoral 30lbs
2x 12 prone leg curl 30lbs
1x 12 prone leg curl 20lbs
Another 30 mins x 2.5mph treadmill

The weights may sound very low to you all... but that weight is actually an increase on where I began. My abs are being completely missed at the moment but the machines hurt my back for those exercises and the gyms been really busy lately that I’m too intimidated to go over to the free weights/mat section to fumble about not sure of what to do. I will get on it, but since I’ve been doing so well with sticking to every other aspect of diet and actually going to the gym I’m just focusing on that at the moment. I will get there.

My question is a one I’m sure has been asked a million times here... why am I not losing weight?

I have smoothy every morning before breakfast which is a banana, cocoa powder, cold brew coffee (zero sugar) and oatmilk (unsweetened plain) and a handful of raw spinach.

I have been eating one of three breakfast/lunch options everyday an hour or so after my smoothy....

2 eggs scrambled with one slice cheese non stick pan, no fat added to cook. Cup cooked spinach (huge handfuls when raw before wilting) with garlic powder and grated Parmesan cheese. No cream or anything added.

6oz Baked plain salmon (I cook day before. I’m weird and absolutely love cold salmon) with the same spinach as above.

Whole grain bagel topped with half an avocado that’s been mashed with orange segments. Topped with Sesame seeds sprinkle. —— this breakfast is only once a week, the day after I buy the pack of four bagels. My husband and son eat the other three during the week.

My snack between lunch and dinner are strawberries or an orange and/or a mini naan with hummus or almond butter spread (natural kind I microwave a little so it’ll spread) sometimes a bowl of heated up frozen green peas (another weird thing I like. Ate them as a kid everyday)

Dinner has been a rotation of -

chicken thighs cut up and marinated in Greek yogurt with spices etc then skewered and grilled on bbq. Served with a veg like carrots, zucchini, broccoli, green beans, cabbage, asparagus etc all are steamed or cooked in olive oil, but not much because I don’t like greasy food. Also bell peppers and onions sometimes skewered on bbq.

Steak filet with veg like above.

Pork stir fry (soy sauce, fresh garlic and ginger... no sugar or sauces) with veg

Grilled chicken breast with hot sauce, slice cheddar cheese in a bun with veg

Fish, baked or grilled depending on type.

Once every couple weeks or so, okipoke sushi tuna burrito. Seaweed, brown rice, tuna, mango, avocado, ponzu and spicy mayo on the side.

All of these except for the fish sometime become left over lunch or a snack to tide me over until dinner time. Im not starving but because I know I’m going to the gym and won’t be home until 6.45-7pm. I do sometimes get two hard boiled eggs after from the cafe they have at the gym if I am hungry. But they are just plain boiled eggs I add a little salt to.

My only de tours have been three Haagen daz chocolate ice cream bars. One a night for three nights in a row. (My six year old got a super Mario game for his switch multi player and we gamed it up a few days over the weekend and I had one with him. But that is three in three weeks! 270 calories a bar. And that’s all I’ve had sugar wise or indulgent. And that was over a week ago.

So swinging back around to my question? Why am I not losing weight? I thought I would have lost just by stopping the booze and snacking at night. I’m moving more than I was too. So what’s going on? I will be including cardio beyond walking but I’ve started with walking as an easy way to get moving and strengthen my joints. I have arthritis in my left knee that causes problems and I have a degenerative disk in my back that causes pain in my hip where if my right leg goes outwards I get a sharp pain and i almost go down. Same with doing a squat, my hip gives out and I fall down. I used to squat many moons ago in my younger days of exercise so I wish I could again for the sake of my behind, so im using the leg press and adductor as a substitute as those don’t seem to bother it. My plan is to strengthen through the simplicity and low impact of walking before moving onto more intensive movements. Oh, in the spring and summer I will be back to riding my bike for about an hour once or twice a week too on our local bike path. And once the pool at my gym is completely reopened I will be swimming laps there for 30 mins three times a week instead of walking after lifting weights.

I’m 36 years old, 5,6 and 160lbs. I strangely carry all my excess weight in my waist and upper body leaving me with thinner legs. But when I’m not overweight I’m completely proportioned. I don’t lose more weight from my legs if that makes sense.

Any advice? What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix it? 130lbs is my goal and I’m not looking for a fast result or deadline where it’s unsustainable but i do need to see the scale go down at least some. I’m at three weeks so I’m clearly doing something wrong.

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food with scales?
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You listed five meals a day as far as I can tell, that could be a problem I think. Regardless or despite calorie deficit, eating to often won't help. After each meal one's insulin hormone level goes up making it very hard for the body to start burning fat. Eventually that level will drop but then you start eating again, like an evil cycle. Might sound harsh but I found one's body needs to be in a fasting state at least for a few hours to kickstart the process of fat burning. If I were you I wouldn't necessarily change all that much-if you are indeed in calorie deficit- but definitely cut down the number of meals a day to maybe two meals. Have a look at how intermittent fasting works.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight? About 6 weeks ago I jumped back on the calorie counting and exercise bandwagon and for a good 3 weeks I saw no movement in the scale but then suddenly now the weight is flying off. I think sometimes there are other factors like sodium intake, muscle gain or being on period that influence the scale. This might not be the case with you but just thought I'd let you know what happened with me so that you keep going and dont give up!
  • bubus05
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    You listed five meals a day as far as I can tell, that could be a problem I think. Regardless or despite calorie deficit, eating to often won't help. After each meal one's insulin hormone level goes up making it very hard for the body to start burning fat. Eventually that level will drop but then you start eating again, like an evil cycle. Might sound harsh but I found one's body needs to be in a fasting state at least for a few hours to kickstart the process of fat burning. If I were you I wouldn't necessarily change all that much-if you are indeed in calorie deficit- but definitely cut down the number of meals a day to maybe two meals.

Ignore this advice please, it doesn't matter how often you eat as long as you're in a deficit. The number of meals and/or snacks is purely a matter of personal choice: some people feel less hungry with frequent smaller meals, other people prefer fewer but larger meals, some people skip breakfast because it makes them hungrier etc.),...
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/intermittent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work
  • bubus05
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You listed five meals a day as far as I can tell, that could be a problem I think. Regardless or despite calorie deficit, eating to often won't help. After each meal one's insulin hormone level goes up making it very hard for the body to start burning fat. Eventually that level will drop but then you start eating again, like an evil cycle. Might sound harsh but I found one's body needs to be in a fasting state at least for a few hours to kickstart the process of fat burning. If I were you I wouldn't necessarily change all that much-if you are indeed in calorie deficit- but definitely cut down the number of meals a day to maybe two meals.

Ignore this advice please, it doesn't matter how often you eat as long as you're in a deficit. The number of meals and/or snacks is purely a matter of personal choice: some people feel less hungry with frequent smaller meals, other people prefer fewer but larger meals, some people skip breakfast because it makes them hungrier etc.),...
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/intermittent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

Any article that includes the phrase "after hours without food, the body exhausts its sugar stores and starts burning fat." is clearly aimed at those ignorant about how bodies actually work.
    You are burning fat 24 x 7 whether you eat once or six times a day.
    The bodies burn fat around the clock, but at different rates, depending on hormone levels. But never mind I dont want to argue, somehow the mentioning of IF always gets me in trouble.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    It sounds like you are making healthier choices but the number of calories you are consuming each day total is what you need to maintain your weight, not what you need to lose weight. Are you using the app to calculate total calories consumed, using a food scale, etc?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Any article that includes the phrase "after hours without food, the body exhausts its sugar stores and starts burning fat." is clearly aimed at those ignorant about how bodies actually work.
    You are burning fat 24 x 7 whether you eat once or six times a day.
    The bodies burn fat around the clock, but at different rates, depending on hormone levels. But never mind I dont want to argue, somehow the mentioning of IF always gets me in trouble.
    Actually, it's more about physical activity versus rest on body fat burning. Do you know when you actually burn the most body fat for fuel?
    I too do a moderate IF, but not because of fat burning properties.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    @Tewksinma - I GAINED seven pounds when I started working out again, but it was just from retaining water - it came back off and continued going down after a few weeks.

As a woman with big water weight swings due to my menstrual cycle, I compare my weights with the same point in the cycle last month.

Do give it a few more weeks. If the scale hasn't budged by then, be prepared to make your diary public: change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the derailments some days.

Likelihoods for apparent lack of loss:
    New exercise (if you felt it, you're retaining water)
    Menstrual cycle.
    Not enough weigh ins to establish starting weight level and current weight level accurately enough.
    Lower than expected caloric deficit (not all these menu choices are isocaloric; none seem to be weighed)

What to do: nothing other than what you're always doing

Why? You are not obese and your weight loss goals are relatively modest. You're quite likely on track for close to your weight loss goals, if not losing faster than your goals.

This is based on a 1.5lb three week goal and guestimating water retention from exercise that exceeds 1.5lbs. by itself.

Deciding to eat less at this point and based on three weeks as described would make no sense to me even if your goal was 6 lbs lost (would wait for 4-6 weeks). With a target of 1.5 lbs it would be counterproductive to eat less.

What would not be counterproductive would be to make decisions on calories. Knowing what the calories actually are. So you can eat the most you can while still meeting your goals....
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ann is saying a lot of sensible things and I agree with her. The most likely reason why you're not losing weight is that you're eating more calories than you're expending.

Buy a scale, knuckle down and measure absolutely everything, log it all accurately and see where you get to in a month.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy a scale, measure and log. Also adjust your calorie intake/activity level on MFP. I sit on my butt all day and that's sedentary. I add any additional exercise and eat back some. Just STANDING instead of sitting will increase requirements.

And as another data point I didn't lose any weight for 3 weeks, then dropped 3 lbs overnight and stayed there. This seems to be my pattern. Bounce between two numbers for a while, then drop. Then bounce between two new numbers. Then drop.

It is not at all a linear process.