losing weight through being ill

Options
i wonder if i could have some advice please - i have had a gastric stomach bug over the last two weeks and with it, was not able to eat anything proper and keep it down, hence i have lost 10 lbs in the two weeks, i feel more like eating now and want to continue on my calorie counting, up to this virus i had been calorie counting for a couple of months and losing weight steadily, i am a bit worried now that i start eating 1200 calories a day again, will i continue to lose weight, or will i regain some of the 10 lbs that i lost through not being able to eat?
i don't want to put on weight, but i need to get back into my calorie counting as i still have another 49 lbs to lose - any advice please

Replies

• 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You might gain something back, but it'll come back off once you're body is back in it's routine. I love that line from The Devil Wears Prada, "Thanks, I'm only a stomach flu away from my goal weight!" :laugh:

Your body has been depleted of a lot of nutrients and you've got to replace them. So, your body might store some of that because it's going, oh cr@p, I'm in starvation mode! But it'll fall back into place. Just keep making good choices, and take it easy on your stomach for a few more days, it's been through a lot! Keep that BRAT diet in mind if you're not worrying about carbs.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You may gain a little back but I wouldnt worry about that because it shouldnt be a ton. Just keep doing what your doing and you will continue losing :) Good luck and hope your feeling better!
  • aoney
    aoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recently went through a severe ankle/foot injury in April and was on pain killers and NSAIDS for about a 1 1/2 months. This along with stomach issues as a result of the drug made food less than appetizing. I did loose weight during this time even though I was not working out at all due to the injury. When I finally got off all the drugs and could walk again I still continued to loose weight. I didnt put any back on becuase I still was watching my intake and getting as much exercise as I could. I would suggest going back to calorie counting and making sure you are getting some kind of exercise everyday. The probably dont weigh yourself for a good week to 2 weeks because there may be some fluxuation as your body gets used to eating and drinking normally again. Also I never drink anything execpt water and black coffee that way I am not adding extra calories from liquids. Hope this helps :)

Ashley
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You will likely gain some back, because you're probably dehydrated from being sick. It won't be fat, it'll be normal water weight.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Increase eating slowly, don't go straight back to 1200 instantly. I'd also suggest low carb/hight protein as you build calories up again, and exercise, as this will build muscle which you'll need as your metabolism will be a bit slow just now since you've not been eating
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I agree that if you stick to your calorie watching, the weight you will gain (if any) will be water weight... which you need - especially after having a gastro. Make sure you replace your electrolytes (G2 is low calorie) - because in order to have energy and muscle strength, you need to replace that lost potassium, calcium and sodium! Good luck. :)
  • karendzar
    Options
    thanks for the reply's, i am taking it slowly but hopefully by next week, i can manage to eat the 1200 calories that i should have,thanks, again