Calories saved for weekend

Options
If I stay in my deficient can I save calories for another day?

Im 33, 220lbs, and am allowed 2200 a day to lose 1 pound a week.

if I eat 2100 a day rather then 2200 which I’m allowed, can I save those calories for a weekend or perhaps if I’m celebrating a birthday or ordering take out.

I just thought of it mathematically
2200 x 7 days = 15,400

I eat 2100 x 7 = 14,700

That leaves me with 700 left over. So can I enjoy those extra calories I saved up and still be in my deficient of the one pound a week I’m losing.

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Yes! Enjoy! Lots of people track calories on a weekly (vs daily) basis because they “bank calories “ for the weekend.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For me the best comparison I saw someone make in these forums is look at it like a bank account. We all budget our money in some form, calories are the same. Some people may budget their money/calories to the day, some people budget their money/calories for the week.
    If you have 15,400 in your bank, spend it how you’d like for the week... just don’t overdraw your account and you’ll be fine!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I do all the time!
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I truly appreciate all of your advice everyone! Thank you for informing me and making my Thursday that much better!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I do it regularly too. If you look at the app, there's an option to look at your figures for the week. I just aim for my average, per week, to be where I want my cals to be.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. In fact, I'd say that is your BEST tool to keep in your desired calorie range. I track my calories daily, but then enter them in to a chart and average my calorie intake for the week (which MFP sort of does in their reports too). It helps me better understand how many calories I am consuming on average over the week.

I just mentioned this in another thread, but I try to consume 1400-1550 during the week, and 1800-2000 on the weekends, and that allows me to really enjoy more calories in the ways I want (I get cocktails with my (Covid-safe outdoor socially distanced) brunch every weekend!). Or if you know you have an event of some sort, you can eat a hundred fewer calories for a few days and then use those calories for your event.

Life is not the same every day, and your eating isn't the same every day. The beauty of CICO and just eating what you like is that you can account for that. Nothing is forbidden - it's all about budgeting and moderation!
  • vnorris25
    vnorris25 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Absolutely! I do this all the time when I have something special coming up. My Birthday is next week and I plan on over-indulging, so I've been eating a little less where I can and doubling up on my workouts in preparation :)

I also weigh myself everyday, so it's easier to track what is true weight gain, as opposed to a result of eating a bit heavier, hormones, or a more salty meal the night before. It's become a good habit for me, and it's satisfying to see the downward trend.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    As others have said, you can absolutely do that. I just wanted to point out that 2,200 a day to lose 1 lb a week doesn't sound quite right, and you may want to re-run the #'s. For your weight and age, depending on your height and gender, 2200 is a lot closer to maintenance level calories than the 500 calorie deficit you'd need to lose 1 lbs a week. Not saying it isn't possible, but you might want to take another trip to the MFP goals tool and ensure all your inputs are correct.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    As others have said, you can absolutely do that. I just wanted to point out that 2,200 a day to lose 1 lb a week doesn't sound quite right, and you may want to re-run the #'s. For your weight and age, depending on your height and gender, 2200 is a lot closer to maintenance level calories than the 500 calorie deficit you'd need to lose 1 lbs a week. Not saying it isn't possible, but you might want to take another trip to the MFP goals tool and ensure all your inputs are correct.

I disagree.

2200 could very well be a correct number. A lot of men his size have an even higher number.

You know nothing about him other than his age and weight.

What if he's a warehouse worker or a construction worker? What if he's 6'3"?

Jay, try it with your numbers for a month, then adjust if necessary. 2200 sounds about right for weight loss for a 33YO man.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    I appreciate all your advice everyone!

Touching on the subject that 2200 may be to high. I’m 5 foot 10, 220 pounds and 33 years old, and I typed in that I perform light activity. I just updated MFP and it says 2210 daily for a weekly lose of 1 pound.

Also, although I said light activity, I work landscaping, home improvements, and snow removal. Everyday works physical but I figured if I said light weight it would shave off a few calories daily and manage with what I have. So far I’ve been tracking for a little over a month and have lost 5pounds!
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    I appreciate all your advice everyone!

Touching on the subject that 2200 may be to high. I’m 5 foot 10, 220 pounds and 33 years old, and I typed in that I perform light activity. I just updated MFP and it says 2210 daily for a weekly lose of 1 pound.

That calorie target sounds reasonable. I'm 3 inches shorter, 45 lbs lighter and 21 years older than you and I eat around 2000 calories to lose an average of 1.5 lbs per week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

Nah...I'm 5'10" with a desk job...I walk 3 miles most everyday and usually get over 10K steps per day and then do purposeful exercise on top of that and I lose about 1 Lb per week anywhere from 2300-2500 calories per day...more if I'm on the bike a lot.