I'm having trouble with my activity level

Options
I was laid off all winter and just went back to work for my first full day today. Today all I am doing is probably 85% standing in place (assembling baskets) and then carrying them and hanging them up. I had my activity level set to not very active while I was laid off and I just changed it to lightly active. But it still has my calorie goal set at 1200. Ive been eating and drinking 1200 calories for going on 2 weeks now which is fine but today I am so dizzy and lightheaded. And my lunch I brought was only like 240 calories. Moving my head to look around and walking make me dizzy. But everyday will be different. Soon I will be shoveling dirt, planting, carrying dirt filled pots and trays, loading bags of mulch, weeding, landscaping ect. I have no idea how to track this. But I need more calories. :( Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you have selected a fast rate of loss it can make you hit the minimum calories level for women - 1200 cals.
    Suggest you adjust that setting and also remember you are supposed to be eating back purposeful exercise calories as that energy expenditure isn't accounted for in your activity setting.

When you job becomes more active (shovelling, carrying etc.) bump up your activity level again.

Or simply start adjusting your daily goal manually to achieve a reasonabe rate of loss without making the whole process far harder than it has to be.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    First: you appear to be young. As you become even lightly active, you'll burn significant calories. Yay!

Second: Assuming you are healthy, you should get accustomed to increased activity pretty quickly, but the first few days may be tough. Plan to eat some healthy snacks during the day. Drink electrolytes!

Third, if you get overly paranoid about your calorie burn, get a tracking watch (apple, garmin, fitbit). They aren't perfect, but it at least gives you something to go on. (I like Garmin the best, btw.)

Finally, have a blast at your new job!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Before you even worry about "activity level", eat some food. Anyone who diets and gets dizzy and lightheaded from it needs to eat more food as the first order of business. Set your calories to something more reasonable like 1500 or 1600 and spend a week there and see what happens. THEN, when you are no longer having these symptoms, you can try reducing your cals a hundred at a time, carefully keeping an eye on whether you are feeling right.

Health first. Weight loss second.
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I’d say you need to adjust your activity level to active.

(MFP definition) Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)

(Mayo Clinic definition) Active: Include at least 30 minutes of moderate activity most days of the week, or 20 minutes of vigorous activity at least three days a week.

Based on that and “average” stats I put in (5’4” f 150lbs) I got 2100 calories for maintenance. If you eat at 1600 calories a day, you’re still going to lose weight at around 1lb a week and feel way better! I’d even venture to guess you may see more weight come off as your job gets more physical, because that will likely fall in the “very active” category. Feeling dizzy during your return to work is a good indicator you’re under eating.
    Side note: I couldn’t maintain 1200 calories while sedentary!!! 31yo f, 5’4” sw jan 11- 159, cw 149... I eat between 1300-1800 calories, most days are 1500-1600. I cut nothing from my “diet” still have alcohol, chocolate, etc. I have had at least 5-7 days that I ate 2000+ calories... I still lost 10lbs in 5 weeks! Don’t make things too hard on yourself!
    Add some calories and you’ll feel better and have better success with the proper fuel in your system! Good luck!!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic's definition sounds like it comes from a BMR/TDEE calculator - MFP's methodology is different. MFP calculates your calorie budget based on your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), so it's based on how active you are outside of deliberate exercise. You're expected to log deliberate exercise and eat those calories back. If you work out every morning but are chained to a desk for 8 hours a day for your job, you're Sedentary; if you don't work out at all but you have a job as a waitress, you're Active.
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic's definition sounds like it comes from a BMR/TDEE calculator - MFP's methodology is different. MFP calculates your calorie budget based on your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), so it's based on how active you are outside of deliberate exercise. You're expected to log deliberate exercise and eat those calories back. If you work out every morning but are chained to a desk for 8 hours a day for your job, you're Sedentary; if you don't work out at all but you have a job as a waitress, you're Active.

I understand the difference between TDEE and NEAT. I follow MFP’s NEAT calculation for myself as I want to keep things simple. I wanted to include both, because to me she is being more active at work (shoveling, hauling bags, standing all day, etc.) than someone who is doing an intentional 30 minute moderate workout most days of the week (to me that means a 5 day work week to a 5 day/wk moderate workout routine). From the work she described I’d say she falls in the active category by either standard which is what I was trying to point out. I don’t want to confuse anyone with the definitions or where they come from, but it seemed relevant to the OP as I think she’s put herself at a lower activity level than she really is and is struggling because she isn’t getting enough calories to accommodate her activity level.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    No, sure, for the OP I would agree that she's probably at least Lightly Active and definitely not eating enough at 1200cal/day - so very few people need to eat that little that anyone should be skeptical if MFP gives them that as a budget.