Salt!

Options
Does anybody else have a tenancy to eat too much salt :( I usually don't go over on my sodium in my journal, but then again I don't always log salt -a dash here and there would add up for sure!! I am a salt lover thats for sure, I put it on everything...even a sprinkle on my boiled eggs that I usually eat for breakfast.....Are there any salts out there that are lower in sodium than others? I have cut back dramatically...but I don't want to cut it out all together :/

Replies

• mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump....im terrible for having too much salt :/ x
  • kimthomasandaimee
    Options
    I justify it by using Maldon Sea Salt so I am least getting some good trace minerals from it.
    Salt mined from the land is stripped of all minerals.
  • Mdfreeman
    Mdfreeman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can really relate since I don't reach for a salt shaker but there is often enough in the food (just don't get that hit of salt taste). One option if you are looking replace the salt - use pepper?
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Potassium Chloride is a good Salt substitue. Or try some salt free Mrs. Dash!
  • mrpearson253
    mrpearson253 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm in total agreement, too much salt in my diet too. Even skews my weigh-ins sometimes if I'm not paying attention (having salty stuff the night before type of thing). I've been using sea salt (more flavor and you can use less) and it seems to work nicely.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    1/8 teaspoon of Table Salt is 295g of Sodium. I love salt too and have been trying to cut back, it's so HARD!

One thing that's helped me is Mrs. Dash (an oldie but a goodie). And I use more lemon juice for flavor now too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I had to cut way down on sodium because of high blood pressure (at least that is what the doctors have told me) I don't add salt to things except in recipes I make, and I will make various things with lower and lower amounts of salt in it until it really negatively changes the flavor. I have found herb and spices are my salt now. I add lots of them to pretty much everything. I have also found, having done this now for more than a year and a half, that things I used to think were normal salt wise, I now find too salty with the salt covering up the real flavors of the food rather than enhancing them which is why we add salt to food. If someone has not said it 5ml/1teaspoon of salt will put you over for the day without eating anything. Hence my no longer adding any salt at the table to food.
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I go over my sodium level every day.

This is what I learned after doing some research on the web:

The food journal has 2500 mg maximum limit for sodium, which is close to the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) recommendation.

The AHA (American Heart Association) disagrees with the USDA. The AHA recommends 1500 mg maximum limit for sodium.

I have tried to limit my sodium intake, but the only way for me to get below either recommended level is to avoid ALL processed foods. Even bread and cheese can be high in sodium.

I don't know what to do.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

I have not been able to find Potassium Chloride in Ontario. I used to see it a long time ago (decades) when I didn't have to worry about sodium, but I don't see it anywhere currently. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I cut out all salt from diet on the advice of a Chinese herbalist, who said that we pick up enough from natural sources that we don't need it. My ankles swell up, so he thought this would fix it. So we stopped adding it to the food my family ate.

Then my college-aged daughter started to faint all over the place. Walking down the street: faint. On the bus: faint. She finally went to the clinic, and fainted right there. Thank goodness that it was at the McGill medical school, so she was hooked up to an electrocardiogram before she even regained consciousness. The problem: low blood pressure. The cure: salt. The doctor put her on Gatoraide, and recommended that she increase the salt in her diet. And take Gatoraide every time she felt faint. Problem solved. So now the family is back to eating salt.

The lesson learned is that you NEED salt, and some of us more than others.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can just try to use a little less than normal each time. You are aware of it, and that's the first step. If I add salt, which isn't very often, I like coarse sea salt from a grinder.

My favorite candy..... dark chocolate covered caramels topped with gray sea salt. Fortunately i have to drive a few miles so get them, so they are a treat I rarely have!
  • melbell213
    Options
    I as well intake way too much sodium each day due to most of my diet consisting of canned veggies, soup, frozen dinners etc. I did however start to ween myself off of the salt shaker. At this point I do not even use the salt shaker. I cut down a little at a time until it was completely out. Now I need to work on the processed food. One thing at a time!
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A friend recently told me about REAL salt. That is the brand name. It is mined from an ancient sea and is now found underground in Utah. It reportedly has tons of health benefits because it is a natural sea salt and has lots of minerals. It is supposed to help with blood pressure among other things. I just found it at a Super Target. Their website will tell you where to find it in your area. It is a light pink salt and comes in a shaker or a larger bag. Hope this helps someone.
  • Whatareherthings711
    Options
    I put way too much on. I even put it on my cheeseburgers thanks to my dad!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I never cook with salt & usually make everything from scratch. According to MFP I go over it in 10 folds, lol. I’m a running so it really doesn’t bother be too much though.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I have not been able to find Potassium Chloride in Ontario. I used to see it a long time ago (decades) when I didn't have to worry about sodium, but I don't see it anywhere currently. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.
    Try Nu-Salt. It taste like salt but is sodium free. www.nusalt.com

I just look at my diary, it said my eggs (fresh) & spinach (with no salt) had a total of 395 mg of sodium. WhatEV!
  • jayb123x
    Options
    It's in most supermarkets, usually under the name 'Lite Salt' which is Potassium Chl vs. Sodium Chl. Hope that helps.

• rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else have a tenancy to eat too much salt :( I usually don't go over on my sodium in my journal, but then again I don't always log salt -a dash here and there would add up for sure!! I am a salt lover thats for sure, I put it on everything...even a sprinkle on my boiled eggs that I usually eat for breakfast.....Are there any salts out there that are lower in sodium than others? I have cut back dramatically...but I don't want to cut it out all together :/

I used to have too much salt long way back but gradually cut down back significantly.I try to enjoy the natural food taste as much as possible.

There are few low sodium salts available here which says it has 15% less sodium but never used it.

http://www.tatachemicals.com/products/tatasalt_lite.htm