Tall squatters - calling for tips

serapel
serapel Posts: 502 Member
edited February 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a hard time getting parallel. I’ve been practicing by watching video recordings of myself with just a standard barbell.

I’m afraid of falling backwards and sometimes I do take a step back when try to keep straight.

I can parallel squat 110 lbs right now and I’m 129 lbs. anything heavier, I can’t get parallel

Replies

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    @KickassAmazon76 any tips you can provide???

I am the exact opposite of tall 🤣 but I worked on mobility for a straight year before I could even get parallel. I find lifting shoes with heel help for squatting and also I do a 30 minute warm up before squatting jaut stretching and opening my hips. It seems to provide so much deeper range of motion once I start.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    How tall are you? I don't know if it has so much to do with height as your anatomy and any limitations you may have in terms of things like ankle and hip mobility.

I personally worked on getting a deeper squat first before adding more weight. One thing that I think has helped for me was working ankle mobility and really tweaking my form.

There are people on here who are experts who can help you with getting a better ROM. Someone gave me tips after watching my squat that I incorporated, and have been helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    edited February 2021
    A raised heel helps. But instead of putting your heels on anything, opt for lifting shoes first that have a heel raise.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=power+lifting+shoes+women&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2021
    I’m afraid of falling backwards and sometimes I do take a step back when try to keep straight.
    This might be the issue. You don't keep you're back up completely perpendicular to the floor when squatting. Hips lead out first...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited February 2021
    Are you high bar or low bar? My husband (6'3) and I (5'2) dropped the bar lower on our backs, we both had an easier time reaching parallel. His feet placement also varied from mine. He needed his feet to be more straightforward...while I always turned my feet out. You might have to play around with the angle of your feet to find the best leverage situation.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    If you are falling backward the barbell is behind the center of balance which is the middle of your foot.

Perhaps you may need to lean your upper body forward a bit more while shoving your hips back. Also make sure you are forcing your knees out.

Definitely difficult to say though, without actually seeing you squat.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks everyone. I’m with my trainer tomorrow to practice. He says I’m doing very well and I’ll get there.

I practice at home with just an empty bar. I’ll video it next time and attach here 🤗
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    I have a hard time getting parallel. I’ve been practicing by watching video recordings of myself with just a standard barbell.

I can parallel squat 110 lbs right now and I’m 129 lbs. anything heavier, I can’t get parallel

Hey @jennacole12 thanks for the tag!

I'm 6'1"... So I know the long bar path problem. Lol

I have to think this through because it's become second nature now (and it will for you, too, with practice).

I would echo squatting with just the bar until you get comfortable with the range of motion.

I also often squat as low as I can with nothing, and really sit as deep as I can into it, using it as a stretch.

Some things that also helped in the beginning was setting a bench or stool at parallel height and practicing squatting down onto that.

When you squat, once you get under the bar, think about setting your body up for the squat... Contract your lats, core, tighten up... Then stand and step back from the rack one step. Square upm engage the core and lats some more and just feel your whole body engage. As you go down into the squat, imagine a straight line between the bar and the floor, and feel the weight of the bar transferring through your body into the ground. Push through the ground on your way up.

It takes some time, and lots of form checks, but it does get easier. It's harder to get the gains when you are tall and lean, but totally doable.

If you want to see my lifts... Check out the GIFt us your lifts thread. There's a lot of me in there. 🤪

And badass @jennacole12, too!