Going over on sugar with fruit

Options
How bad is it to go over your recommended daily sugar portions with fruit? I had a fruit salad for lunch - a banana, kiwi, small plum, and a couple concord grapes. And I went over -9g..... I guess it is better that I go over by eating fruit, and not with a chocolate bar....and I wont go over like that every day, but really, how bad is it?

Replies

• paintitblack
    Options
    bump! I have a smoothie for breakfast sometimes and it contains nearly all my sugars for the day so I was wondering the same thing.
  • loubulou2209
    Options
    I'm over every day on my sugar because of the fruit I eat. I eat a banana, pineapple, mandarin, apple and melon every day so it's always really high.

I don't know if it's a truly bad thing...gotta be better than being over for eating chocolate and sweets.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I feel guilty about avoiding them (fruit, certain vegetables/tomatoes, even milk) because of all the nutrients that are good for me, but I feel even guiltier about the sugar. So I've been buying sugar free things and eating those preferentially, even though I know that I should just be eating the actual foods (given that I'm not diabetic). :-\
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've been focusing more on where the sugar is coming from. Many things contain sugar naturally, milk for example. I try watch out for added sugars, I have a sweet tooth, so its hard, but keeping an eye on my food journal has made me much more aware of where its coming from.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can say is sugar is sugar, and how bad it is to go over a bit depends on you, some people hand it okay, some don't

so the best i can say is, if you occasionally go over with fruit and it does not seem to effect your loss, then don't worry, if you notice a trend where when you have alot you stall or go up a bit, cut back
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my sugar because of my fruit intake...along with my greek yogurt (fage or chobani) that I snack on. I was wondering the same thing-is it bad? The red at the end of the day isn't fun to look at lol
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this! I'm on the highest dose of Metformin, not for diabetes but for PCOS. My doctor said that natural sugar (from fruit) is ok but I've heard others say sugar is sugar. I always go over my sugar "allowance" when I eat fruit that day ...

Bump for later..
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book "The Perfect 10 Diet" and it talks about this sort of thing. I haven't gotten to the natural sugar section of the book so I can't answer the question. However, I thought I would put the bug in everyone's ear that this book is very helpful when talking about low fat, high protein, low carb and those sorts of "diets" and why we are all buying into them yet are still overweight.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book "The Perfect 10 Diet" and it talks about this sort of thing. I haven't gotten to the natural sugar section of the book so I can't answer the question. However, I thought I would put the bug in everyone's ear that this book is very helpful when talking about low fat, high protein, low carb and those sorts of "diets" and why we are all buying into them yet are still overweight.

I have a neighbor who eats nothing but "low fat"...but yet she herself is fat. I don't buy into "low fat" or "low carb" diets
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How bad is it to go over your recommended daily sugar portions with fruit? I had a fruit salad for lunch - a banana, kiwi, small plum, and a couple concord grapes. And I went over -9g..... I guess it is better that I go over by eating fruit, and not with a chocolate bar....and I wont go over like that every day, but really, how bad is it?

i wouldnt worry about it personally!
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been told (by a friend who can actually afford a personal trainer and nutritionist) that as long as you take in the majority of your sugars early on in the day as opposed to at dinner or as an after-dinner snack, it's not as bad. So I try to make sure if I'm going to eat a certain amount of fruit, I incorporate it into breakfast or lunch. Seems reasonable.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have heard and I agree that while sugar is sugar, fruit is better than having junk mostly bc it general has fiber and water as well. I generally do not worry about going over from fruit as long as I'm within my calorie goal. Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from and will add up to extra pounds if consumed excessively but if you're within your planned calorie goal, I think you'll be ok.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would think as long as you are burning it off in your daily exercise you will be fine. I run & don’t really worry too much about it myself.
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When choosing fruit as a food, it is important to remember several things: glycemic values (index and load), portion size and timing of when the fruit is eaten. Another factor to consider generally is fiber content.

Some fruit, like watermelon, bananas and fruit juices are high glycemic and therefore more likely to contibute to higher blood sugar levels, possibly pushing levels over the quantity that can be handled by the body without tipping the point toward fat formation. So large portions of some fruits alone or in meals with high carbohydrate loads overall are eating situations to avoid. For instance:
    The timing factor is about when fruit is eaten. I reserve fruit for snacks, mid-way between meals so that they are eaten when blood sugar is low and the increase following eating the fruit will drop down before I eat my next meal. I also try to avoid foods sweetened with fruit so I can control the sugar impact. For instance, I buy plain yogurt and, for a nutritious treat, add a small portion of fresh fruit of my choosing.

The impact of your fruit salad is then based on the fruits included, the relative proportions of them in a meal/snack overall and the consumption of other, non-fruit carbohydrates in the meal. As fiber slows down the pace of digestion, it can level out blood sugar.. Pears are an excellent source of fiber while bananas and watermelon are not.

Some informative references are easily found on line on these topics..
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Im sure I"ve gone over OFTEN with fruit ( I don't have my sugar listed) It hasn't hurt my welght loss.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I have a neighbor who eats nothing but "low fat"...but yet she herself is fat. I don't buy into "low fat" or "low carb" diets

Low fat doesn't equal LOW calorie in some things!!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about sugar...

Scroll down a bit to see the "response" from Dr Mercola....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/29/foods-that-keep-you-thin.aspx
  • hecallsmeroses
    Options
    Everything in moderation, I think your fine and like you said its better than a chocolate bar. As long as you know you should be active to burn some of it off.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    The main problem with sugar comes with insulin sensitivity, whether it is glucose or fructose it does not matter. If you eat your 5 fruit a day you will be fine but once you go nuts with the sugar you might run the risk of becoming a diabetic in the future.

Sugar is also important as it is a simple carbohydrate which is high GI and helps transport nutrients to your muscles and restore your glycogen levels.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.