Indoor exercise for the overweight?

Options
It's too hot out to walk. It got me thinking about Winter coming up. Does anyone know of any good in door exercises to do. I have to start off slow. I was in a car accident and suffered whip lash, and some neck injuries,plus the added weight. so I have to be careful. I do have a Wii.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There are a TON of workout dvds out there. I know that there are even a couple that are walking ones (Leslie something or other.. sorry, not sure of her last name). The best thing to do is to look around and see what is available and what you think may work for you.

Check Ebay, Craigslist, or even a used video game/book store. That way you won't be spending a lot on them.
  • phnx72
    phnx72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Youtube!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try any of the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. They are short and you can do all the low impact walking without leaving the house. It is too hot to walk outside in Florida and I do her dvds at least 3 times a week. Do some simple weight resistance with 2 lb. weights for strengthening those arm muscles.

You don't have to strain yourself. Be safe.:flowerforyou:
  • michelle2566
    Options
    Well if you have a Wii get the Wii fit plus its great and you can work at your own pace and you can see how many calories you burn too,thats where I started and found it really good and it works....good luck
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable with On Demand? If so, you might be able to do Exercise TV. I think Leslie Sansone has a few workouts on there.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have access to the free zone from your cable company. They have lots of things to choose from at no charge. I recently purchased Jane Fonda DVDs, and I also use Lesline Sansone walking dvds. Easy instructions, and not too strenuous if you're just getting started or need to be cautious about your previous injuries. May be some dvds at your local library that could be rented for free as well. Good luck to you!
  • emj1978
    Options
    Try any of the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. They are short and you can do all the low impact walking without leaving the house. It is too hot to walk outside in Florida and I do her dvds at least 3 times a week. Do some simple weight resistance with 2 lb. weights for strengthening those arm muscles.

You don't have to strain yourself. Be safe.:flowerforyou:

I agree!
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There is an EA sport Active 2 personal trainer... I have one for the PS3 and I know that they make it for the Wii as well... I love mine... I am not an in-home work out person and this really works for me... You can customize the work outs to your capability... Each set of work out from day to day is different... There is a 9 week program, 3 week program, you can also just do a work out and not be on a program...

Hope this helps...
  • kavavisa
    Options
    What I usually do is: I have some workout DVD's (circuit training, pilates, etc.) and I work on them when i can't go out. I also bought an exercise mat and some weights to use them at home. And I watch some youtube videos that are really good.

All you need to do is to set up your space and get a workout DVD that can keep you motivated, a type of exercise you like :-)

_
    Katherine
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The simpliest...just walk. My treadmill is still not put together, for some reason...so I walk back & forth in my living room. It works, plus its easier to dance around when a good song is playing. :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I use my HealthRider, which is useful for cardio and strength training. You could probably find a gently used one, if you have room for one. Mine is in the living room. I don't have back pain, but some people who do swear it helps. I also use DVDs and walk laps through my living, dining, and kitchen areas. Having an open floor plan and no carpeting is helpful for the walking and DVDs. Another thing I enjoy inside is finding Zumba routines on YouTube and dancing along. I hope it cools off soon so we can go outside.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable with On Demand? If so, you might be able to do Exercise TV. I think Leslie Sansone has a few workouts on there.

Don't know about Cable on Demand, but Leslie Sansone has a few workouts on the Exercise TV website. Here's the 2 mile one.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/walking/2-mile-walk-5861
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Leslie Sansone recs. Before you buy any DVDs you can preview them on collagevideo.com...you can also order them from that site but there are cheaper sites.

Good luck!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love the Just Dance 2 for Wii. It's fun, and you're moving and sweating! But most importantly, it's fun! :)
  • scooby1298
    Options
    If you are thinking of Sports Active 2 for your Wii, just take it really easy. I used it for about 3 weeks over last winter having had heart bypass surgey in July 2010, and low & behold it came to pass that I was taken back into hospital because the exercises using the band were too strenuous for the wired ribcage, as a result I spent 49 hours back in hospital and have vowed not to use Sports Active until I know I am safe to do so. I am currently using Wii fit plus and all the walking and bike riding I do on it has helped me get much fitter in a very moderate pace. Obviously the more you can get out in the open air the better but the Wii does work for me when I can't.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Start with Wii Fit if you have injuries, you can do each exercise in your own time and the balance games are easy to start with, its also one of the most adaptable, games can be done from siting on board or sitting in a chair with legs on board and stepping (your weight needs to be over the board so sat forward) or standing holding onto something and just lifting heels slightly for some of them instead of lifting whole foot up and down. Wii Fit plus is better as when you advance you can put together your favourite exercises to make a longer routine and it has extra games on.

It's been great for getting me from not been able to do much to advancing to an hours cardio games likes boxing and tennis (which can be done from sitting)

Exerbeat is a good one if you might need to sit down to do some as it only registers what your arms are doing with the wii remotes or you can choose a video option to exercise along with... it has a good selection of Pilates floor exercises on there too.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I worship Wii Boxing, I can always feel the burn real well in my arms and legs after a few boxing matches. It can burn a good number of calories. When I get tired of boxing, or my arms get sore, I play Wii Tennis or Baseball. Sometimes I can watch the clock and push myself to go another 5 minutes. Other times I make sure not to look at the clock because I'll give myself too much leniency and say, "I've done 15 minutes, that's good enough".

These are on the Wii Fitness disc that comes with the Wii when you buy it. If you want more of a variety, there is also Wii Resort and it has many more exercising games, like Archery and Sword fighting.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Just got back on MFP, thank you everyone, great suggestions!!!
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Bump
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The Zumba game on Wii is great. Could be a little intensive, but it definitely builds up a sweat.