MFP protein goals seem high

Options
sarah7591
sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I am hoping I can explain this in a way that makes sense. On MFP my protein goal is 88. Does that seem high for a woman who is 5'6 124? I did some research and it looks like an average woman should have about 50 grams of protein per day. Why would mine be so high? Does the goal go up with the more exercise you do? I do run 4-6 miles daily. I have been drinking protein shakes to get to this level (non meat eater) and now I am wondering if I am getting more than I need. Is it unhealthy to get too much protein? Thanks in advance for reading this.

Replies

• strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not to argue, but there is some evidence to support an opposing viewpoint. If you're interested, I recommend a book called the China Study. The author suggests that excess protein intake can increase your levels of free radicals (if I remember correctly) and contribute to a variety of diseases. I don't buy into everything it asserts, but I do think it's wise to be balanced in terms of what we eat.
  • strebor337
    Options
    So opposing view points are unwelcome?
  • strebor337
    Options
    As I mentioned in my original post, I don't embrace all of the recommendations of that particular book, but it provides some points that are worth considering in a balanced consideration of the question at hand. Several people have suggested that there are absolutely no adverse consequences of eating an unlimited quantity of protein, but anything consumed in excess can be unhealthy including water and oxygen. All I'm recommending is that the original poster consider the benefits of a balanced diet.
  • Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    I’m 5’ 6” 169 pounds and aim for 130-180 grams. I notice it’s a lot easier to lean out, muscle recovery and keeps me full.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    On MFP my protein goal is 88. Does that seem high for a woman who is 5'6 124?
    No not at all, especially if you are dieting and/or exercising more than the mythical average person.

I did some research and it looks like an average woman should have about 50 grams of protein per day.
    For an average woman to avoid nutritional deficiency or as an optimal amount for someone maybe dieting and exercising? That's a very different scenario.

Why would mine be so high?
    It isn't. But protein goals are personal not universal.

Does the goal go up with the more exercise you do?
    Yes. But many people simply set and keep a minimum daily goal in grams in mind which is OK to exceed.

I do run 4-6 miles daily. I have been drinking protein shakes to get to this level (non meat eater) and now I am wondering if I am getting more than I need.
    Not seeing any evidence to support that view but "need" can be interpreted differently depending on your overall dietary goals - to be adequate or to approach optimal for example.

Is it unhealthy to get too much protein?
    You would have to define "too much" but there's nothing to suggest you are anywhere near having to consider that.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I am hoping I can explain this in a way that makes sense. On MFP my protein goal is 88. Does that seem high for a woman who is 5'6 124? I did some research and it looks like an average woman should have about 50 grams of protein per day. Why would mine be so high? Does the goal go up with the more exercise you do? I do run 4-6 miles daily. I have been drinking protein shakes to get to this level (non meat eater) and now I am wondering if I am getting more than I need. Is it unhealthy to get too much protein? Thanks in advance for reading this.

Yes, your protein goal will go up as you log exercise calories.

I plugged in the stats of yours that were available and am curious how you got to 88 g of protein. How old are you and what's your goal - maintain, lose, gain?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    88 g would be the default for 1760, which does seem a somewhat low cal goal for someone with OP's stats and activity.
  • strebor337
    Options
    strebor337 wrote: »
    So opposing view points are unwelcome?

Let's assume that study is true. In your words you referred to "excess protein". That nessitates a baseline amount (excess compared to what?)

I tend to follow the advice of roughly .8-1.2 g per lb of body weight. This is to help reduce the amount of weight loss that is lean mass instead of fat, and to help in potentially building more lean mass.

The book recommends that protein intake be limited to 10-15% of the dietary calories. Again, I don't necessarily agree with that number or the specifics of the author, but I take it into consideration in planning my own dietary goals.