Who eats/drinks "diet" stuff?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
I only drink Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke for soda or Gatorade Zero when I want a "diet" anything.

I DON'T eat REDUCED FAT foods
I DON'T eat REDUCED SODIUM foods
I DON'T eat REDUCED SUGAR foods

I like to eat full flavor, full fat, full sodium and full sugar. I like to enjoy life. But I'm also diligent about not going overboard. To have fun correctly, you need to play by certain rules.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    To each their own. I'll drink a diet soda, but I put butter on my toast or use it to fry eggs. I might use reduced sodium soy sauce if I have it on hand or I'll just use what I have.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I don't normally eat reduced fat foods (at least I don't seek them out) and I don't waste my calories on drinks (unless I'm doing the liquid diet thing and have a protein shake) and I DEFINITELY don't eat reduced sugar. :)

I try to save my calories where I can tho so I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on bread and stuff like that.

I do try to stay low on sodium just in case it's why my blood pressure is normal. I still haven't figured out if it's normal because I keep the sodium low or if I don't have to keep the sodium low because it's normal. But I'm not a fantatic about the sodium thing. :)
  • ninerbuff
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't normally eat reduced fat foods (at least I don't seek them out) and I don't waste my calories on drinks (unless I'm doing the liquid diet thing and have a protein shake) and I DEFINITELY don't eat reduced sugar. :)

I try to save my calories where I can tho so I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on bread and stuff like that.

I do try to stay low on sodium just in case it's why my blood pressure is normal. I still haven't figured out if it's normal because I keep the sodium low or if I don't have to keep the sodium low because it's normal. But I'm not a fantatic about the sodium thing. :)
    My take on why sodium sucks for so many is because they don't drink enough water daily and get in potassium RDA in a day. That's NOT to day that there are those that have to be careful because of genetics with sodium.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I drink Coke Zero and Mountain Dew Zero, and put sugar free kool-aid packets in water bottles sometimes. Other than that, I'm mostly a full fat/ full calorie gal. Fat free (especially dairy) products aren't worth eating, IMO.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

My take on why sodium sucks for so many is because they don't drink enough water daily and get in potassium RDA in a day. That's NOT to day that there are those that have to be careful because of genetics with sodium.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You know what was really weird? When I was on weight watchers and didn't pay attention to sodium and never drank water....I hit a plateau and was doing research on what was causing it. I lowered my sodium and started drinking water and it didn't make a bit of difference. I figured I'd magically drop water weight but...nope!
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I drink diet sodas, and I add non-sugar sweetener to my oatmeal and sometimes hot chocolate (when I have cals to spare I use date paste instead. Love the stuff).

That's about it, really.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do use a few sugar free items(flavored syrup for coffee, sweet n low for tea, light Greek yogurt, unsweetened soymilk, coke zero/diet coke and clear sodas). I don't mind some reduced or low fat dairy items(like yogurt or milk).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You know what was really weird? When I was on weight watchers and didn't pay attention to sodium and never drank water....I hit a plateau and was doing research on what was causing it. I lowered my sodium and started drinking water and it didn't make a bit of difference. I figured I'd magically drop water weight but...nope!
    Well you may have had to see what your balance for sodium/potassium and water is to drop water weight. Lots of people miss out on potassium and that's what moves water out of the cells. If there's more sodium than potassium, water moves into the cells for what's called osmolality, meaning you need equal amounts of water inside and outside the cell.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Eh, some of both. I use light mayo and margarine. I do diet soda and sometimes do halo top. I use stevia in my coffee. I use unsweetened cashew milk for most things. Conversely my cottage cheese, yogurt, ranch and cheese are regular full fat stuff. If I want a baked good or chips, I'm going for the real thing.

Just depends on how much of a difference I notice. In some things, none. In others, a lot. When a lot I don't care, it's a painless way to cut some calories.

That said I DID have to go specifically to some full fat versions of some stuff because apparently I went too far and was losing my actual crap from hunger due to not lack of calories but lack of fat.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I don't do low fat or low sodium as i think both are essential in any diet (unless it is something that has an excessive amount of sodium like soy sauce or the like)... or if it is something like canned tuna, I opt for packaged in water over oil. BUTTTT I do often use lower sugar or sugar free items... sugar free jello, pudding, diet coke, etc. I don't think sugar is necessary and it negatively effects me.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I keep a bag of monkfruit in the kitchen to sprinkle on over-tart fruit to sweeten overnight and enjoy sugar-free Jello. Once in a blue moon, I'll have a diet soda, but I'd rather get my fizz fix from sparkling water.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Oh. Sodium. I don't do low sodium. My husband does. One of us tends to eat a lot of canned crap and has high blood pressure. The other one is me and if I go low sodium I feel like crap, fast.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2021
    I am low sodium because I have kidney stones
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Diet coke or ginger ale.

If you want to count low fat stuff, 1% cottage cheese and 0-2% greek yogurt (depending on the use, and what I have on hand) and 90-95% lean ground beef (depending on the usage) and skinless chicken breast/thigh (although I probably have them skin on more often).

I've been making yogurt myself lately with whole milk, but once I am sure I have the hang of it I will try it with skim. I don't drink milk now, but grew up with 2% or skim, and for me full fat dairy (other than butter or cheese, of course, or ice cream, although I don't tend to eat sweets that often lately) has no taste advantages over lower fat, and the lower fat is just as satisfying and sating for far fewer cals. I'd rather get my additional fat cals from olives or avocado or nuts and seeds, or eating chicken with the skin on it, etc. -- more satisfying for me overall.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything. I don't eat stuff with added sugar enough to opt for lower sugar (other than the diet soda, of course). When I do have dessert, I figure might as well have one that is really delicious.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    No Diet Coke, etc. no erithritol, stevia, etc. but I prefer low fat in many recipes. I do eat fat, just picky about which ones.
    Won’t eat the fat that renders from meat. I often precook my meat, put it in the fridge overnight so I can skim the fat off and finish the dish the next day. I drink skim or 2% milk, But I will never give up my whipped cream or butter,
    I agree with enjoying life, but that will mean different things for different people.
  • Mondowefte
    Mondowefte Posts: 150 Member
    I have plenty of sugar free and artificially sweetened items, as I need to keep track of my carbs, and I have salt reduced as I often find fully salted foods overwhelming. But I love my full fat items, especially yoghurt. Many diet products take the taste out and replace it with disappointment.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Well, I don't drink diet soda. But I don't drink the regular version either 😁

I don't watch my sodium intake at all. I have borderline low blood pressure, so I don't need to.

I don't watch my sugar intake at all either, but I don't have blood sugar issues. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth either.

Low-fat dairy: I was raised on semi-skimmed milk, so that's what we still buy. My skyr yoghurt is 0 percent fat, but I'm not a huge fan of yoghurt anyway, just looked for the best high protein option for breakfast with not too many calories, so I have more calories left for the rest of the day, for food I really enjoy 😁
    We gave a diet version of Ben & Jerry ice-cream a try (since we always eat a pint in one sitting): I don't think it's low fat per se, more like aerated, so less weight for the same volume. It's was OK, but haven't bought it again.

I don't look for reduced-fat options generally speaking, I tend to look for options that are lower fat inherently. Simply for the reason that my calorie allowance is not as big as that of a buff guy who works out 😉
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited February 2021
    I do not like soda, juice, regular candy and most desserts do not make me feel good and there are endless ways I can have something that is like a treat. I am plant based, so no dairy. I do not use low fat but did for years. I do not buy things with added sugars except if a negligible amount. I do use Skinny Syrups, occasional Walden Farms syrups, unsweetened almond, coconut and cashew milk. I love Garden of Life Fit bars and some other products labeled as "Weight loss" but its because of nutritional profile. The name on a product can be misleading. There are a lot of "Diet" foods with questionable ingredients. I like using raw cacao, cacao powder, nuts, dates, figs, stevia, xylitol, erythritol and sugar free preserves. If it was between a "diet" cheesecake that was not vegan or a vegan cheesecake but with sugar I would go for vegan because I only have cheesecake on my birthday or a holiday and would rather have vegan than no sugar. I am thinking about ordering sugar free halvah because I love halvah! lol. I love hot chocolate and make my own with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia and skinny syrups. I have made desserts using protein powder, coconut flower, etc.

This is a great site for alternatives to foods and desserts-

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/