So Tired Of Searching! (For the right diet)

Options
Okay, I started Tuesday officially on the Dr.Gott's no flour, no sugar diet. I need something that will consider that I am on foodstamps, and my budget is limited right now. Was doing well, but yesterday, I know I didn't eat enough, went to bed hungry, and woke up ravenous. So, I eat a healthy bowl of oatmeal, go to church, and come home starving again. I eat a light lunch, but all I can think of is bread! So, what do I do? Drive through Tim Horton's, buy one of the new french toast maple bagels, bring it home and toast it up, top it with some pb, and I am in Heaven! Now though, I feel like I blew it! Starting to re-think the no bread rule, I always, always get too hungry without bread at all in my day! I have tried the Abs diet, but get tired of that quickly too. Any ideas anyone? I have only about 25 or 30 pounds to lose.

Replies

• Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    try the MFP plan, which is to track(log) your foods and stay within your calories range...

good luck
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are addicted to bread/carbs. Bread isn't really as filling as other foods, and it's all empty calories. For example, a bagel is about 300 calories, all processed, refined white flour, no protien. For the same amount of calories, I can have a HUGE salad, including things like beans or hard boiled eggs for protein and that will fill you up and sustain you longer than the bagel will. I think if you can manage to go for a while without it, you won't miss it. The trick is going without it though! Drink more water maybe?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Life without bread, well, that's me. I'm allergic to wheat, so I don't get to have any bread at all. Or pasta, or anything baked with it and that's a lot, but I'm eating.

I think moderation would be best for you. Get the WW bread, or any other high fiber low calorie bread and use that. Unless you have a gluten or wheat allergy, then you should be able to eat bread.

The key is balance. If you really want to lose weight, you need to re-learn how to eat, and create a balance so you don't go crazy.

Personally, I can eat oats, so I get my oatmeal. I can also eat corn, so I use polenta. They do have wheat-free bread made with rice flour or tapioca flour and a bunch of other flours, but it doesn't even come close to what bread actually tastes like, and they are low fiber and if you don't toast the heck out of them they're like eating rubber.

So, don't beat yourself up. Look at other peoples diaries to see what they eat, including mine. See what's going to work for you and go for it. You should be looking to eat better for the rest of your life, not just to lose weight.
  • m_snow
    m_snow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience and opinion....I have never been a fan of the idea of cutting out food groups completely. Sure, substituting whole grains for white breads and pasta, but not deprivation of a type of food. I savor food and feel moderation is key. I feel I get farther by letting myself enjoy whatever I would like....of course with the aim of staying within my calorie goals. I must admit, though, that I do not beat myself up too bad when I fall outside of the range. I try not to make it a habit. Without a health concern - life is too short to restrict yourself too much. Best of luck.
  • lisab64
    Options
    The right diet is...................the diet that is right for you. Alot of help aren't I!!! :-) What I mean is -- If you know you need to eat bread to be full/satisfied than eat bread -- JUST DON'T GO OVER YOUR CALORIES. Personally I don't eat alot of bread and have found for me that by doing (also only eat pasta once or twice a month, rice maybe twice a year) that it has greatly reduced my cravings for sweets and starches. But if you know it won't work for you than don't do it cuz once you stop "dieting" you'll just go back to eating like you use to and gain the weight back.
    I've been at goal since April (and actually have lost almost 10 pounds since then -- figure I'll find them come winter) and am still eating the way I did when I lost weight (took 9 months to lose 50+ pounds) -- just eating more calories than when I was losing. For me the things I couldn't cut out or change are -- need to eat a big breakfast (typically have eggs, bacon, and one of those 100 calorie bread products), drinking milk (prefer raw so was drinking full fat milk during "diet"), not a big snacker (except at night) so I eat 3 meals a day (no 6 small meals a day for me) and usually have something sweeter at night. The big secret to weight loss is -- don't go over your calorie limit...
  • lisab64
    Options
    I can only speak from personal experience and opinion....I have never been a fan of the idea of cutting out food groups completely. Sure, substituting whole grains for white breads and pasta, but not deprivation of a type of food. I savor food and feel moderation is key. I feel I get farther by letting myself enjoy whatever I would like....of course with the aim of staying within my calorie goals. I must admit, though, that I do not beat myself up too bad when I fall outside of the range. I try not to make it a habit. Without a health concern - life is too short to restrict yourself too much. Best of luck.

Very well said.........and what I was trying to say...
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a bread lover, too. I could never give it up. I never block out a food group, I just cut back. I never feel like I am restricted, and for me that is the key. If I want to eat 500 calories in bread, I will, but I will cut back on something else to stay in my calories range. Portion size is what works for me.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options

Very well said.........and what I was trying to say...

^^ Agreed!!

Whenever I try to "cut" anything completely, I seem to crave it more. Some substitutions and moderation seems to work better for me.
  • Juleezz11
    Options
    Thanks all, for the tips. I have not gotten into tracking on here, I have sucky internet right now, only online because my neighbors let me log onto theirs, and often get bumped off a lot, so I check on stuff now and then. I guess I am going to stick with eating what I like, but watching calories, and keeping the sugar consumption to a minimum. I just can't seem to be happy without bread. But, as a once upon a time anorexic, I never want to obsess to much about weight. My worst problem is I used to be so active, I never really had to worry about what I ate, but since my injury, I can't be active as I once was. So, way, I will keep trying, and wish you all the best!