How to not hate your body when losing weight?

Options
I was able to restart my CrossFit gym membership two weeks ago, and I switched to an app that counts my macros (and noticed my fat intake has been almost double what it should have been, yikes.) But I'm at the heaviest I've ever weighed, and it's hard not to hate my body in the meantime.

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Focus on what your body can do and being grateful for it. It can be something as simple as allowing you stay healthy, get out of bed every morning and being able to go to CrossFit. Not everyone can do that.

Practicing gratitude in general is a great habit to get into (I'm still learning). I'm not saying that by practicing gratitude you completely ignore things you'd genuinely like to change, but I feel this actually motivates me more than shaming myself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Even when I was obese, I didn't hate my body: How much fun could I have without it? Zero. Even fat, it could do lots of entertaining things.

Seriously, it's fine to want to improve, and work on it. But it's your current body putting in the work. Can you appreciate it for that, maybe: Its gift to future you?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It's going to be improving in so many ways through this journey. Can you not love the changes?
  • 190reasonswhy
    190reasonswhy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to think of this as a process. The in between phase from what I want to where I am. Bridges are function and usually not that great to look at.
  • chantellezxc
    chantellezxc Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don’t know, I would say it’s normal but it can be motivation to change. I definitely feel the same, I do really hate being bigger than the size I feel comfortable at. I really like seeing the weight come off and other changes in the right direction and that is making me feel more like myself again so I am happy still.
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I’ve never hated my body, regardless of my weight. My body didn’t make me overweight, my choices did that. God gave me life and limbs and the choice to do with them as I please. Focus on being grateful for your body, not your appearance.

Despite size, the human body can do amazing things. Find something else to focus on other than weight and looks. I have been getting various arts and crafts kits to help me find other joys in life.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Before losing weight, I hated the look of body, sure. I hated being unfit. But weight loss has given me more appreciation for my body.

Sure, I still hate my skin (particularly prone to stretch marks), and I can safely say I don't have any natural aptitude for sports. But otherwise my body has performed quite well. I lost weight as fast as intended (so my metabolism wasn't 'doomed' as I thought before) and thanks to regular exercise my fitness has increased a lot. I'm probably fitter now at 150lbs than I was at 135lbs in college.

No, while not perfect, my body allows me to do a lot of good and fun things, so I don't hate it 🙂
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Step back. Odd how the extreme mindset comes up so much and in so many different ways in weight loss.

Maybe try to find some other ways to talk and think about your current situation. And when I say talk, I mean literally. I’ve done this kind of thing. Stand in front of a mirror where you can get a good look at yourself and say out loud what you’re not satisfied with. As in I don’t like this and I don’t like that. What else can you say? It’s unacceptable? Unsatisfactory? You aren’t happy looking like that? Say anything other than hate.

Then try to dial it down some more. Say this or that need improvement. Say it can be made better. Saying you hate something first shot out of the box is too extreme. Try to find something more reasonable. It gives you something to work with.

I didn’t decide that I loved my 285 lb self, but I decided that I was still entitled to basic respect. And that included respect for my self improvement project that had weight loss at its core. Whatever you may see as your shortcomings, you still possess the ability to to change.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    There are people I love who are not perfect, their shape and size is irrelevant to me. I don't hate them for it.

I deserve to pay myself the same respect. I require kindness, empathy, understanding - this is all simply another aspect of self improvement, same as I have set other goals and achieved them.

If the plan isn't working it just means I need to re-adjust the plan. I have never found moralistic language around food or weight to be helpful. I take much better care of things that I love than those things that I hate.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I focused on what my body COULD DO...positive vs. negative thinking. Add 10 more lbs to a lift! Yea! More reps! Yea! I rarely ever even think about what my body looks like anymore. Except every once in awhile when I see my shoulders...and then I flex in the mirror a little bit like a total bro. Ha!
  • okbuddha
    okbuddha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I didn’t decide that I loved my 285 lb self, but I decided that I was still entitled to basic respect.

This definitely brought me back to high school. I don't know if other girls did, but I kept a close eye on my weight because I saw how mean and competitive it could get towards anyone who gained :/