Should I take an iron supplement?

Options
When I read my nutritional analysis on MFP dairy I am always low on iron. I usually don't even get to the 50% amount. I am 63 and do take a "mature" multivitamin but it does not contain iron. I am a vegetarian and do not eat meat so I cannot get my iron through that. I am wondering if I should be taking a supplement? Do I even need extra iron at my age? Do you all meet your iron daily requirements on MFP app? Thanks in advance for reading this.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Get a ferritin test. It will show whether your body is storing enough iron. I'm a runner and my iron stores are low. I take a supplement. I knew my ferritin was low because my ability to run became noticeably slower and much more difficult after I had been running regularly for several years. My GP ordered the ferritin test and when it was below normal, she sent me for a colonoscopy to make sure that I wasn't bleeding internally. I wasn't. After 3 years of taking iron supplements, my iron is back within normal range, though I still feel the effects of being on the low side. I am not a vegetarian and am well past menopause, so the usual suspects don't fit. I know from reading about running that low iron is pretty common among athletes. However, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to take supplements until you actually know whether you need it. Too much iron is worse than too little.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I currently take an iron supplement, but I do so only because a doctor ordered it, and I routinely go for more tests so that I don't end up taking it if I get back to normal. There are a lot of supplements / vitamins that don't do much harm if you take them without needing them, but iron isn't one of them. It can do a LOT of harm.
    Check with your doctor! In the mean-time, look at your vitamin C intake. Adequate vitamin C increases the absorption of iron. You could also eat an iron fortified breakfast cereal / look for other sources of iron-rich food!
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't take an iron supplement merely because you are worried. Iron can be really low for some vegetarians or vegans (or also for other reasons) and it is a good idea to get a test done if you are worried even if you don't have symptoms of anaemia (I had no symptoms and was borderline iron deficient nearly a year ago. Test was done for other reasons, but I am glad it was.). But too much iron can be dangerous for you, too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    In addition to echoing those who suggest getting testing before supplementing, it's important to know that the 100% percent figure for iron is based on the needs of premenopausal women (18 mg). The RDA for men and post-menopausal women is 8 mg, or roughly 45% of 18 mg.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    If I was shown deficient, I always wanted to try cooking with an Iron Fish, a proven solution in developing countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-32749629

_83014550_ironfish_children.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Have your blood checked and ask your doctor. Too much iron in your system can become toxic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU all for your advice and opinions. I read and value everyone of them. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow to have my blood work done. I am a runner and have noticed my running has slowed down although I still go 4-6 miles daily ( I am 63 though!..dang!). I will report back when I get the results. Best to all of you.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Most iron supplements do bugger all if you're actually deficient, as they contain very little iron. I have to take 600+mg of ferrous fumarate a day to prevent chronic iron deficiency anaemia.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Most iron supplements do bugger all if you're actually deficient, as they contain very little iron. I have to take 600+mg of ferrous fumarate a day to prevent chronic iron deficiency anaemia.

I swear by iron bisglycinate. The VA has given me other forms over the years, but none got both my iron AND energy levels back up. I take two pills per day. Because I was so severely anemic last year, I've been getting tested every few months.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00013Z0QA/
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I actually asked this question a few weeks ago. At first, I thought someone responded to my thread when I saw this!

I recently had my ferritin and iron levels/iron absorption levels tested recently by a rhematologist (not because I brought it up, it was just part of her initial bloodwork). My ferritin was normal, but actual iron was a bit low. However, unless my doctor brings it up to take a supplement, I'm not going to do so.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I actually asked this question a few weeks ago. At first, I thought someone responded to my thread when I saw this!

I recently had my ferritin and iron levels/iron absorption levels tested recently by a rhematologist (not because I brought it up, it was just part of her initial bloodwork). My ferritin was normal, but actual iron was a bit low. However, unless my doctor brings it up to take a supplement, I'm not going to do so.

THanks! I must have missed that question. Wonder if there is any way to search for questions like yours?
    Also, I guess I should get my ferritin and iron levels checked? Not just iron?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »

THanks! I must have missed that question. Wonder if there is any way to search for questions like yours?
    Also, I guess I should get my ferritin and iron levels checked? Not just iron?

I think "iron level" is a casual term.

My hematologist checks:
    1. Hematocrit
    2. Hemoglobin
    3. Ferritin
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Also vegetarian and had chronic low ferritin in my younger years - post menopause I have been fine. I don’t think low iron/ferritin is a huge issue post menopause, but it doesn’t hurt to get it checked.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm hijacking your post a bit...I don't know if this matters in your case, but my rheumatologist checked the following:
    Ferritin
    Iron
    Iron-Binding Capacity
    Iron-Percent Saturation

In addition, I also regularly get the hematocrit and hemoglobin tested as part of my CBC as part of my annual well-visit, both which are regularly normal.

Interestingly, only my iron serum level was low (although I noticed the Ferritin, Binding-Capacity and Saturation levels were at the low end of the normal range. I'm assuming since neither the rheumatologist or my regular dr said anything, I don't need an iron supplement...at least I hope someone would've said something.