Say hi to this newbie!

Hey all! Just joined today after exercising for a month 6 days a week and not losing weight! Would love some tips on healthy weight loss and finding some workout pals as well! Thanks! :blush:

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Your cat is so adorable.

Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. How are you trying to track your food? Do you use a food scale?
  • nazhar3103
    nazhar3103 Posts: 3 Member
    Heyy! You’re cat is really pretty, anyways you need to accurately track your calories to be in a deficit, but to do so you will really need to know your true maintainence calories which you will know after track your weight straight for a week, and counting the calories. Remember if your weight does not increase or decrease significantly then that’s your maintenance calories, now according to your needs and weight goals reduce the extra calories from carbs. Eg if your maintenance calorie is about 2700 then to achieve 0.5kg weight loss per week you need to eat about 2200 calories per day, just an example use a calculator my math not good
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,306 Member
    edited February 2021
    I’m here for the cat, too.

@nazhar3103 is correct to a degree, but you need to allow a lot longer than a week. But yes, if you’re genuinely not losing or gaining, congrats, you’ve found maintenance which is wonderful, because it means you know the exact point to begin adjusting up or down.

But....imho

You sound like you’ve went from zero to 100. If you’ve not exercised before and are experiencing muscle soreness, the associated water weight can mask weight loss. Your body retains water for repair during periods of soreness, pain, post surgery etc. The sorer you are, the more water, sometimes several pounds.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • LeeAWatt2021
    LeeAWatt2021 Posts: 14 Member
    You may be over-exercising. You muscles and body need time to heal. 6 days a week is a burn out schedule depending on what you are doing. Walking 6 days a week is fine but weight-lifting or running 6 days a week will lead to burn out or injury. My SIL is a personal trainer and she doesn't train 6 days a week. My daughter was a competitive dancer. She trained four days a week for dance then one day with a personal trainer. Two days were recovery days. You probably have a huge build up of lactic acid in your muscles which is leading to soreness and water retention.
  • IndyFitAgain
    IndyFitAgain Posts: 67 Member
    Hey all! Just joined today after exercising for a month 6 days a week and not losing weight! Would love some tips on healthy weight loss and finding some workout pals as well! Thanks! :blush:

HI!

Welcome to MFP! Check out both the app version and the web version as both offer some different aspects that the other doesn't. Don't be afraid to try things and ask questions. 🙂

Stay consistent and be persistent and good things will happen!