Red potatoes what can i do with them?

Options
lovinmamaxo
lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
So i had some red potatoes as a healthy entree at Applebees i don't know what they did to them but they were DELISH! My nutritionist told me they are healthier as well then the white ones. But i have no idea what to do with them?? What kind of seasonings, etc do i use? Any recipes for them?? =)

But my are they more EXPENSIVE as well!

Replies

• InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Do anything you do with white potatoes, but always leave the skins on, that's where the goodness is.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Cut them up and toss in crockpot with roast or porkloin and baby carrots.....season with dill and minced garlic!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into cubed pieces, I use my pamperd chef glass measuring cup, but you could use and glass microwavable bowl. drizzle a little Olive oil and some good seasons salad dressing powder. Mix them all up and microwave covered until cooked.

You can also use some garlic salt and pepper, or Mrs Dash if you are staying away from sodium.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    they are no healthier then a white potato but...

quarter them, lay them out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, granulated garlic and italian herbs. bake at 375 till tender and finish with a good amount of parm
  • leannmr2002
    Options
    I often cut them into quarters and add a little bit of olive oil, parsley flakes, salt & pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and put in microwave until almost all the way done....then I finish them up in a frying pan that I add a little bit more of olive oil. Cook until browned on all sides. I do not know how "healthy" they are but I'm guessing not too bad. Just don't use a TON of oil.

Can also grill them with carrots and onions in foil packets...can just google red potato recipes also and it will come up with tons!
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love roasting my red potatoes. I could eat it roasted with no seasoning but with a drizzle of olive oil (YUM!), but if you want to add some flavor, you could season with salt and black pepper and herbs of your choice.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I cut them into wedges (unpeeled), toss them with olive oil, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and paprika and roast them until they're crisp on the outside and tender in the middle. (350 degrees)

I recommend covering your baking sheet with foil and spraying it lightly with cooking spray. It keeps the potatoes from sticking.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into cubed pieces, I use my pamperd chef glass measuring cup, but you could use and glass microwavable bowl. drizzle a little Olive oil and some good seasons salad dressing powder. Mix them all up and microwave covered until cooked.

You can also use some garlic salt and pepper, or Mrs Dash if you are staying away from sodium.

How long do you cook them for? Thanks
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    steam them! :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

quarter them, lay them out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, granulated garlic and italian herbs. bake at 375 till tender and finish with a good amount of parm

This!!

And while the skin is red, they are still "white" inside But, supposedly that doesn't matter anymore. There are some "good for you" nutrients in "white" potatoes too. I read an article awhile ago that the biggest problem with white potatoes is what people do with them: fry them, "scallop" them, smother them in cheese and sour cream, etc. They also tend to be very large, and most people would do better just to have a half of one.

A recent study came out saying that the starches are better for you after the potato has been chilled, so you can whip up a healthy potato salad and not feel guilty about it.
  • lms32164
    lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I Love bay redskin potatoes. I usually will quarter them and put them in tinfoil with garlic, onions, summer squash and zuchinni with a Tbsp olive oil and spices like salt, pepper, basil and rosemary and roast them in the oven or on a grill. Yummy!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Red skinned potatoes, you mean? You can do lots with them! I like to make mashed potatoes with them (leave the skin on when you mash them). Or you can cube them (leave the skin on) and roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and spices.

I also like to buy the small ones and make "crash hot potatoes." Wash them and boil them whole until they're fork tender. Oil a baking pan with olive oil, and place the potatoes on the pan. Lightly score the skin on the tops, then mash them lightly with a potato masher, pressing down once and then turning the masher 90 degrees and pressing again -- just enough to smoosh them without breaking them apart. They'll look like little potato patties. Drizzle with olive oil or melted butter, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and whatever spices you like (I like cayenne and dill). Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Nomtastic.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I love red potatoes anyway you'd make white ones - except plain baked. You can mash them, make roasted potatoes (some olive oil and herbs and bake), potato salad (go easy on the mayo)...delish in a crock pot with a lean beef roast.

They are a bit more expensive....but if you can swing the $'s they have less starch.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Oven, 400* Quarter the potatoes, spread on baking sheet, spritz with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary, put a few extra sprigs of rosemary on the baking sheet, bake until crispy on the outside and fork tender. Delish.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have five kids so I usually do a whole bag, about 3lbs and I start at 10 min then I keep checking them with a fork. I would imagine for 2 people you would only need a few potatoes and seeing how you are cutting them up you should probably check them after about 4 or 5 minutes.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Oven, 400* Quarter the potatoes, spread on baking sheet, spritz with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary, put a few extra sprigs of rosemary on the baking sheet, bake until crispy on the outside and fork tender. Delish.

I was gonna say basically the same 'cept I pan fry them in the spritz of olive oil :)
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    Roasted with garlic, sage and rosemary is always yummy.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Taken from Food Network, but I leave the potatoes whole, cut down on the olive oil (just enough to coat), and dry rosemary works just fine. Increase cook time if leaving potatoes whole. I'm lazy, so I roast it on no-stick foil.

Ingredients
    4 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed, halved
    2 heads garlic, cloves separated
    4 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Kosher salt and pepper to taste
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss new potatoes and garlic cloves with rosemary. Toss with olive oil to coat lightly and add salt and pepper to taste. Lightly oil a sheetpan and spread potatoes out into one layer, cut side down. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before removing with a spatula. Serve hot or cold.
  • Nikki_Gets_Fit
    Nikki_Gets_Fit Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    they are no healthier then a white potato but...

I agree with this! I have red and white (skin) potatoes growing and I use them interchangeably or mixed, they cook exactly the same
    For the extra cost its the same with brown eggs... nutritionally there isn't a lick of difference between them but they charge more for a dozen brown eggs than they do for white... no good reason other than making you think you're getting something better for you by paying more (my chickens lay brown eggs)