Pesto?

Options
Hey all,

I have a grocery question. Where can I buy Pesto? Or pinenuts?

LOL, I know weird questions!

Thank you,

Ashton

Replies

• lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    in uk I just buy mine from the local supermarket, the red version as well as green.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can find a ready made pesto in the spaghetti sauce section in the grocery store. Pine nuts will be in the specialty section of italian food. The ready made pesto is ok, but making your our fresh is amazing and not hard to do either.There's plenty of recipes out there and you can taylor them to your liking - my son doesn't like pine nuts so I omit them and sometimes cut down the amount oil depending on what I'm using the pesto for
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I make my own pesto - the supermarket ones are loaded with oil/calories!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    La Scala make a good version - it'll be beside the other pasta sauces.

Pine nuts will be with the other nuts and seeds. And the smell of fresh basil if you're making your own pesto is just heavenly!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If there is a remote bank branch in your grocery store, you can take out a 2nd mortgage on your house and buy pine nuts.
  • vibral
    Options
    Our pinenuts aren't kept with the other nuts at our store. They're actually kept in the baking aisle with the smaller bags of nuts (like walnuts, pecans, almond slivers) that you would use in baking. Not sure why they're kept there, but that's where they are. Don't know if other stores do that or if ours are weird...
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

I'd love to see a recipe for making your own. Care to share?
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    The Fresh Market. Well you can buy pine nuts at a grocery store and basil too, but the fresh stuff would definitely be at the Fresh Market!
  • opalescentmirage
    Options
    I'd like the recipe too :) I've been missing Pesto...
  • opalescentmirage
    Options

I'd love to see a recipe for making your own. Care to share?

I'd like the recipe too :) I've been missing Pesto...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being rude, I always find Google very easy to use when I'm looking for recipes....

But I'd take a bunch of fresh basil, torn, 1 clove garlic, a handful of pine nuts, grated parmesan cheese, and good olive oil. Blitz in a food processor - you might have to stop and scrape down from the dies - adding more olive oil as required to make the required consistency.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You can find a ready made pesto in the spaghetti sauce section in the grocery store. Pine nuts will be in the specialty section of italian food. The ready made pesto is ok, but making your our fresh is amazing and not hard to do either.There's plenty of recipes out there and you can taylor them to your liking - my son doesn't like pine nuts so I omit them and sometimes cut down the amount oil depending on what I'm using the pesto for

Yep! Def try making your own. Fresher, yummier, and you can control the salt, oil and cheese amounts in it. GL!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Our pinenuts aren't kept with the other nuts at our store. They're actually kept in the baking aisle with the smaller bags of nuts (like walnuts, pecans, almond slivers) that you would use in baking. Not sure why they're kept there, but that's where they are. Don't know if other stores do that or if ours are weird...

I find them near the basil / in the produce section a lot, too. Stupid grocery stores trying to group items! It always throws me off.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love pesto. This is my favorite recipe. She uses raw almonds in lieu of pine nuts -- much easier to find.

It's important that you follow the directions as stated, especially adding the olive oil late in the game. The steel blades will turn the olive oil bitter if you add everything at once.

http://www.andicakes.com/2011/05/09/pesto/
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Aren't the homemade ones also loaded with oil and calories? I mean, the ingredients are basically olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan.

You can substitute stock or tofu or something, but, at least for me, they don't compare. Give me the oil and calories, please!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Aren't the homemade ones also loaded with oil and calories? I mean, the ingredients are basically olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan.

You can substitute stock or tofu or something, but, at least for me, they don't compare. Give me the oil and calories, please!

Unfortunately most (if not all) of the store brands are loaded with salt and soybean or canola oil, even if olive oil is in there too. :( Those oils have no place in pesto.