Access to Super Cheap Track Spike Shoes. Worth it?

Options
Hello!

I found a pair of track spike shoes (hopefully) in my size for what would be after conversion, about 8 USD. They're Nike Zoom Rival 8's.

I have zero experience with track shoes, but might try running more outside if i have them, as I live near a pretty great place to run.

That being said, could shoes like this be used for things like a gym training session, or just walking, or anything that isn't track running? The spikes detach, and the midsole seems a little thicker than its counterparts which works for me.

It's just hard to pass up a pair of shoes that cheap.

Happy to hear input from experienced folks. Thanks!

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I found a pair of track spike shoes (hopefully) in my size for what would be after conversion, about 8 USD. They're Nike Zoom Rival 8's.

I have zero experience with track shoes, but might try running more outside if i have them, as I live near a pretty great place to run.

That being said, could shoes like this be used for things like a gym training session, or just walking, or anything that isn't track running? The spikes detach, and the midsole seems a little thicker than its counterparts which works for me.

Not really. The track shoes are not really designed to be used without the spikes. The spikes come out so they can be swapped (different lengths, when you need new ones, etc). I can't imagine they'd really be usable without the spikes, as they'd have little grip and weird balance.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Not really. The track shoes are not really designed to be used without the spikes. The spikes come out so they can be swapped (different lengths, when you need new ones, etc). I can't imagine they'd really be usable without the spikes, as they'd have little grip and weird balance.

You are probably right, but I did end up ordering them anyways. I live beside a really lovely park circling a river that turns into a forest, seems like it might work well. If I go on 8 runs, it would be a dollar a run haha
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Oh, no no no no.

I started as a new runner last year, not realizing how important shoes were.

OMG, if I could reach out and slap some sense into your head, I would.

When your first toenail turns black from the battering and falls off, you’ll smack your own self. Shin splints, ankle tenderness and worst of all, a tendency to trip badly resulting in badly skint knees, bruises, shoulder elbow and knee injuries from the flying falls.

BEST investment I’ve made was being professionally fitted for running shoes. Then, if you’re that cheap, get the model number off the tongue or box and find a cheaper source.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Track shoes are for competitive runners only. And, many of them only use them in competition and not in training. (e.g., my son on his high school cross country team.)

"Regular" running shoes are highly evolved to minimize repetitive stress injury. As @springlering62 says, it's even better if someone helps you with selection. But, even then, you need to find a brand that works for you. (And doesn't turn your toenails black, as has happened to me several times.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Track shoes are meant to be used on a track by competitive runners. I was a competitive track and field sprinter and that is all I wore them for and had different spiked shoes for high jump and long jump. The distance runners also had different shoes and typically wore regular running shoes for practice. Track shoes are not going to be great for regular recreational running. The only reason the spikes are removable is to change out for different lengths depending on the track you're running.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Track shoes are for competitive runners only. And, many of them only use them in competition and not in training. (e.g., my son on his high school cross country team.)

"Regular" running shoes are highly evolved to minimize repetitive stress injury. As @springlering62 says, it's even better if someone helps you with selection. But, even then, you need to find a brand that works for you. (And doesn't turn your toenails black, as has happened to me several times.)

I was under the impression that because these are distance shoes, they might be a little more flexible. I watched reviews on YouTube saying that the foam was a little thicker than the others on the market and might make them more viable for flexible use (running wise).

...$8 though... They're cheaper than house slippers, heck, I could use them as house slippers.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with jackets. ☹️
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    ...$8 though... They're cheaper than house slippers, heck, I could use them as house slippers.

Those spikes would give a good grip on the shag carpeting, I wager.

I have a free pair at home in my size as my son has left for college. I would never run in them!