Questions on collagen

I add half a scoop of hydrolyzed whey protein to my daily Greek yogurt to be sure I meet my protein and calcium numbers. Now I’ve been reading about the benefits of collagen. As usual, I’m confused lol. Research makes my brain hurt.

So do I add a pill form of collagen to my daily regimen, continuing with the whey?

OR replace the whey with the powder or liquid forms of collagen peptides?

Do you have brand recommendations

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Collagen will help with skin. But other than that, most studies haven't had any definitive benefits overall other than that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    I turned 50 this year, skin is starting to get kinda important lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Collagen will help with skin. But other than that, most studies haven't had any definitive benefits overall other than that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And there is questions of whether or not consuming collagen via a supplement will even help with skin much.

But from a protein standpoint, collagen is a terrible source of protein. Whey on the other hand, it's fantastic.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    edited February 2021
    Collagen is generally considered as poor quality protein.

Protein is digested by breaking it into amino acids.

Whey is a complete protein containing all amino acids and generally considered good quality protein.

I'm not sure how your body would distinguish or care to distinguish between amino acids that came from collagen or amino acids that came from whey when grabbing available amino acids to repair your skin

https://www.britannica.com/science/human-digestive-system/Proteins
  • psuLemon
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Whey is a complete protein containing all amino acids and generally considered good quality protein.

I'm not sure how your body would distinguish or care to distinguish between amino acids that came from collagen or amino acids that came from whey when grabbing available amino acids to repair your skin

The amino acid profile, especially as it relates to L-Leucine are significantly different. Just like there are different amino acid profiles in plant based foods vs meat/eggs/dairy.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    I knew I could rely on y’all to steer me in the right direction. Much thanks to you all!!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    edited February 2021
    psuLemon wrote: »

The amino acid profile, especially as it relates to L-Leucine are significantly different. Just like there are different amino acid profiles in plant based foods vs meat/eggs/dairy.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. My thought was more along the lines that I would not choose by preference the source of protein that is considered inferior.

However if you do believe that there would be situations where one would prefer protein from collagen I would be interested to learn about them as collagen is not a source of protein I seek for myself.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. My thought was more along the lines that I would not choose by preference the source of protein that is considered inferior.

However if you do believe that there would be situations where one would prefer protein from collagen I would be interested to learn about them as collagen is not a source of protein I seek for myself.

I got nothing. I would never prefer a collagen source, as it's generally inferior. But if you are eating fish, eggs or chicken, you can get collagen through that.

Personally, I focus my protein intake from sources like meats, fish, eggs and dairy.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I like collagen because my nails and eyelashes look better when I regularly consume a little collagen powder. My eyelashes do not grow longer with whey protein powder so my body seems to know the difference.

And I never wear sunscreen...although I'm not sure why that topic got introduced into this thread. That stuff is toxic to our bodies and ocean, increases incidences of skin cancer, and promotes low vitamin D. I have beautiful skin in my early senior years.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    I didn't see much difference to my skin when I took a collagen supplement, although I did notice my fingernails were less brittle. I do notice a difference when using a collagen serum on my face- it definitely reduces the appearance of wrinkles, although it's just a temporary effect. I also second wearing sunscreen any day you plan to be outside.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Sunscreen does not cause cancer and there are reef safe brands.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I like the OP "brain hurt" line.. there is so much information..and conflicting information and side bars to most nutrition questions. It is so hard to sort it all out. I think that's why the overall advice is to eat a varied diet in all colors of the rainbow.. and you have to get your protein one way or another.. that's an entire other brain hurting exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Sunscreen. Every day. Rain or shine. Broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) rays. UVB rays burn, UVA rays cause skin cancer and ore-mature aging. And are present on cloudy days.
    I'm lucky I guess. I hardly ever wear it. And my skin is fine. As I've mentioned I do a lot of moisturizing daily and that seems to do the trick. And my likelyhood for skin cancer is low due to my skin pigmentation. I just enjoy the sun every chance I get.....................unless it's over 100 degrees outside.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    There's also a genetic element to how skin ages
    My mum died age 70 with hardly any wrinkles and she couldn't moisturise/use sun screen as she had no movement in her arms
    I'm closing in on 40 and have my mums skin type, hardly a wrinkle and ill be honest I only moisturise once in a blue moon as I'm so busy I'm a wash and dress in a hurry type to get to the kids
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I don't know if I notice a difference in my skin since taking the supplement...maybe a bit more moisturized looking? My nails are slightly less weak, but not what they used to be.