Fitbit/MFP Calories - accurate deficit?

Options
phonn1dodilo.jpg

201 active minutes!? I was on my feet alot today but what!? 1200 calories left today... Seems super high. Thoughts?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Seems possibly high but without knowing any details it's hard to say. Your calorie burn would partly depend on your stats, which would be helpful to know. Also, what kinds of steps were these...daily work/ activity? Working out?

Without knowing these, it would just be purely guesswork on anyone's part.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Seems possibly high but without knowing any details it's hard to say. Your calorie burn would partly depend on your stats, which would be helpful to know. Also, what kinds of steps were these...daily work/ activity? Working out?

Without knowing these, it would just be purely guesswork on anyone's part.

I am a 5"4 female and 177 pounds. I was on my feet from 8:30 am to 7:30 pm at my two jobs
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What is your MFP activity level set at? IF at sedentary and you spent 11 hours on your feet moving, it could be quite possible you have burned that amount on top of your basic sedentary (sitting and doing nothing but walking to the bathroom) rate of caloric burn. That being said it also has a lot to do with your fitness level and heart rate (assuming you have a model that tracks that). Anything from hormones to dehydration to anxiety can effect your heart rate which can cause an over estimation on caloric burn on a wrist fitness tracker which has a hard time telling the difference between say a steady paced medium difficulty walk and a dehydrated pace around a restaurant floor serving with a lot of standing time. As for fitness level, if you are new on your fitness journey it is much more likely to be closer to correct than if you have been regularly exercising at moderate to intense levels often enough to gain cardiovascular endurance. I burn 100-300 less calories now than I did a couple years ago doing the same 45-60 minute workouts both due to weight loss as well as a higher fitness level. I tend to err on the side of caution and not eat back all my fitbit calories especially when I know they are from a busy day more than intentional exercise. It might have to be something you play with a little and look at all your settings and in the end see how you feel.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I can't really guess if yours is accurate, but I've had my Fitbit over a year and I feel like it is very close on calories (perhaps a tiny bit low). Monitor it with actual weight loss for a couple of months to get a better idea how accurate it is for you.

This is mine today. 5'3", 56 yo, 117 lbs

I did about a one hour walk, 1.5 hour shopping trip, 10 minutes physical therapy, and general life at home. Mine always seems low on active minutes.

mleagzs11m2w.png
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a concern that my FitBit was overestimating my calories burned.

If I have a totally inactive day, literally at home all day, sat down aside from the odd few minutes wandering around the house, I have a burn rate of about 2200, and if I take a long, moderate intensity walk (90 minutes, moderate pace) it can go up to 3000. I was sceptical that a walk - even a long moderate intensity one - could burn 800 calories.

So I did some calculations. Over the past six weeks, I've logged 65513 calories on MFP. My fitbit says I've burned 120,623. That would imply a deficit of 55,110 calories, which should imply a loss of 15.75 lbs. Over that same six weeks, I've lost 10.8 lbs. That suggests that my CICO formula is out by about 400 calories a day.

Now - that's a crude measure. My rate of loss could mask some water weight fluctuations. My logging might not have been 100% accurate. But certainly, these figures suggest that some of my Calories Out calculated through Fitbit must also be out a bit as well.

I'm still happy with my rate of loss. But certainly viewing my Fitbit calories burned with some moderate scepticism.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I had a concern that my FitBit was overestimating my calories burned.

If I have a totally inactive day, literally at home all day, sat down aside from the odd few minutes wandering around the house, I have a burn rate of about 2200, and if I take a long, moderate intensity walk (90 minutes, moderate pace) it can go up to 3000. I was sceptical that a walk - even a long moderate intensity one - could burn 800 calories.

So I did some calculations. Over the past six weeks, I've logged 65513 calories on MFP. My fitbit says I've burned 120,623. That would imply a deficit of 55,110 calories, which should imply a loss of 15.75 lbs. Over that same six weeks, I've lost 10.8 lbs. That suggests that my CICO formula is out by about 400 calories a day.

Now - that's a crude measure. My rate of loss could mask some water weight fluctuations. My logging might not have been 100% accurate. But certainly, these figures suggest that some of my Calories Out calculated through Fitbit must also be out a bit as well.

I'm still happy with my rate of loss. But certainly viewing my Fitbit calories burned with some moderate scepticism.

Yes, this! For some people those estimates are spot on, for others they aren't. And for some of those another tracker with another algorythm might work. Or also not. And especially with regards to exercise it's important to remain realistic and not trust those shouting "Burn 800quadrilionandtwo CALORIES in just one Week with Our programme". For me, the old and trusted 0.3*weight in lbs*distance in miles works quite well for walking. But it's flat here and the weather barely so extreme that it would matter. In another location with more terrain this would likely not work. Btw, Fitbit also gave me something like 1500 calories for 15km of walking with occasional stops. Crazy!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this myself. I have a Fitbit Versa Lite. It seems some days it's fairly accurate, and others not so much. On days I strength train and time the workout on my Fitbit with "weights," the calorie burn is way higher than I think it should be. I wish it were accurate because I'd be losing weight more quickly, but unfortunately I don't think that's the case.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've owned a bit Fitbit Versa 2 for 2 months now, from what I understand (and seems legitimate), it not only tracks activity throughout the day, but also takes into account your BMR calories (Basal Metabolic Rate). This number is highly individualized based on the stat profile programmed into it.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Also keep in mind, elevated heart rates throughout each day translate into more calories burned, caffeine and taurine (coffee and energy drinks) contribute to that rate, not just exercise or NEAT activity.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    My guess from my own experience is that your heart rate gets elevated at work beyond the amount of effort you are exerting. The only time my Fitbit is really obviously off is when I have tachycardia (fast heart rate, due, in my case, to a congenital heart defect). It only happens occasionally, but it is funny to watch my calorie burn rise while I am literally on the couch with ice packs trying to get my heart to calm the f*** down.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    phonn1dodilo.jpg

201 active minutes!? I was on my feet alot today but what!? 1200 calories left today... Seems super high. Thoughts?

qxzpfvvjv5ir.jpeg
    iu26sfcaadoh.png

If you click on the food section, it will take you into a more detailed report. Just because the dashboard says you have calories left over, doesn’t mean you actually do. The dashboard is showing me the calories MFP says I should have, but once I go into it, I see the calories Fitbit says I should have.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    This happened to me! Your fitbit is malfunctioning.

My fitbit started getting weird about a year in. It started raising my heart rate to around 175bpm, thought I was having an anxiety attack because I was stressed at work, but it was just the fitbit. Made it seem that I was active for exaggerated amounts of time and calculating a huge calorie burn each day. It looked a lot like yours seem to be doing. And it just got worse and worse each day. I just completely stopped using it because it was throwing me off so much.

Hate to say it, but it may be time for a new one.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    This happened to me! Your fitbit is malfunctioning.

My fitbit started getting weird about a year in. It started raising my heart rate to around 175bpm, thought I was having an anxiety attack because I was stressed at work, but it was just the fitbit. Made it seem that I was active for exaggerated amounts of time and calculating a huge calorie burn each day. It looked a lot like yours seem to be doing. And it just got worse and worse each day. I just completely stopped using it because it was throwing me off so much.

Hate to say it, but it may be time for a new one.

Mine started doing this, too. Because I had had it less than a year, I returned it to Fitbit and they replaced it for me.