Eating out

Options
How do you track calories when eating out and not knowing exactly what is in it?
for example, yesterday we went for pancakes and i had a creamy chicken and mushroom crepe, but have no idea what calories to allocate to it.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't ever order something that complicated when in weightloss mode. It's difficult to determine amounts of ingredients especially things like butter,four and salt. You could search for a generic crepe and then a creamy chicken and mushroom sauce.
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    Check online. Most places have calories online. I usually check before I go places so I know if something is two serving to only eat half and save the rest. If it isn't online I try to type it in and go with whatever I can find closest and don't get too discouraged if I am a little off on my calories for the day. It is just a guide to get you to be more aware. Good luck! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    When I was really working at losing weight I would not eat at a place that did not have nutritional information available. There were a couple of times when we went in a restaurant, asked for nutritional information, and if they didn't have it walked back out. Now I am a little more flexible on things, but I still chose to spend my money where they are willing to give me nutritional information rather than elsewhere.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    Last night I went to a local restaurant for a friends birthday. Most chains will have the nutritional values listed, but if not like last night I just make a good choice and guess, or don't log dinner.

Last night I had a buffalo chicken sandwich (grilled) with no bun or dressing, and a side of veggies. I really eat out on average less than once a month since I feel like I have so little control over what I eat.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've handled this a few different ways. If I go to a chain restaurant, I will look up the nutritional values on their website. If the restaurant is not part of a chain, I will search for similar foods on the MPF database. (For example, at my office we recently had mexican food for lunch brought in from a caterer. I entered the calorie counts based on Pollo Loco foods. I figured this was close enough.) Finally, if it is a restaurant I eat at regularly and I have a frequent menu item I order, I will create a recipie on MPF that approximates the ingredients and at least gives me a ballpark calorie count. Doing this has really helped me to better understand portion sizes and ultimately make better eating choices.

Good luck,
    Sonia
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No idea.. to be honest. I dont know of many places over it, that does a break down, unless A fast food chain, but considering I dont eat out often. Its not something i have looked into yet, but, then maybe i need to....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You could try looking up several recipes for something similar ( I like epicurous.com and cooks.com ) and then using the ingredients you find there. [e.g., http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Crepes-with-Asparagus-and-Mushrooms-105117 http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739,152181-244200,00.html]
  • cclaborn22
    Options
    Eating out is difficult one to tackle. I do not do it very often, but when I do I try to stick with my regular meal plan. If its breakfast I'll ask for egg whites cooked dry (or with as little butter/oil) as possible cooked with spinach and other vegetables. If it's during the day I'll ask for a chicken breast cooked dry or with as little olive oil as possible, cooked without any butter or salt. Have that with a spinach salad or sauteed vegetables and your golden. Eating like that also helps track your calories on MFP. :smile: