Help With On The Go Food Choices

Options
A few months back, I was an MFP queen working out religiously and tracking every bite. Now I have a new job in which my schedule is different, my workload has tripled, and I am having a difficult time adjusting. One major hurdle is that I don't have my morning break to eat a morning snack, then 3 days per week I am have a working lunch in which I have to attend meetings. I don't have time to heat anything up and must be able to eat my meal while typing on a laptop or writing notes. Any suggestions? So far, I have either skipped a meal or tried different things but I want some good healthy ideas. Help me out, MFPers!

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hummus and carrots (or other veggies). The hummus doesn't slop all over the keyboard ... too badly, anyway.
    Lettuce and turkey roll-up.
    Apple and PB. (Cut the apple up before hand and put some lemon or lime juice on it to keep it fresh.)
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What about veggie sitcks and some greek yogurt instead of dip? It is not a meal but it does make for a quick and yummy snack. Good luck :)
  • jkmcgee
    Options
    When I have a smoothie, made with whey protein powder and milk and fruits, I can drink/eat it while typing. If you don't have time to heat something up though, probably can't make a smoothie.
  • papa5280
    Options
    Sandwiches? You can have lean cold cuts with mustard on whole grain bread or sandwich thins for 250-400 calories. Add some grapes or other keyboard-friendly fruit and you can get through the meetings with no damage.

Hang in there!
  • 65kalena
    65kalena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I"ve been eating Trader joe's whole wheat with flax crakers ( qty. 8) and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese ( 1 wedge) with fruit (usually an apple or bananna). Having carrots or broccoli cut up in a zip lock bag is also very handy.
    Good luck with your new job!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge, I take the same thing almost every day because I only have a couple of minutes to eat. I mix together 1 cup of non-fat vanilla yogurt, 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and a couple of tablespoons of dried cranberries... you can use blueberries or banana or raisins... whatever you want... By the time I go to eat it, the flax seed has soaked up some of the liquid in the yogurt and it gets thick... kinda like the consistency of oatmeal. Tastes wonderful, quick, easy and will hold you until dinner. The flax seed is loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids and fiber with no discernible flavor.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I hope you get paid triple! That sounds like a crap job! I would make smoothies and put them in a thermos, salads, wraps. makes cold plates (lunch meat, cheese, veggies, pickles, hard boiled eggs), homemade soup in a thermos that you can drink, cold pasta salad
  • asallen7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas! You've helped me alot.
  • BasenjiMom
    Options
    Try food bars or liquid protein drinks, prepackaged. The liquid protein drink I use has 30g protein and 160 calories, 3 grams of fiber. Positive gain of protein for the calories, I think. If you have a food allegy or other problem with milk products, there are many soy-based ones on the market. For bars, the one I like is 150 calories for 8 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. there are zillions out there with just the protein-calorie-fiber that you need. The protein drinks often come in easily disposal soft containers and often with a straw attached! You've done so well, don't let a little thing like planning ahead get in your way of continued progress!!