How do you guys log your miles?

Hey, how do you guys log your fastkwalk and jogging workouts if you don't have fitbits and you forgot to check the time when you left? I walked four and a half miles today and really pushed the last 2.5 or so, but because I went at varying speeds and I forgot to check the time, I don't know how to log this into my diary. Any ideas?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Speed is less important than distance in figuring out calorie burn. The difference between walking 3 miles an hour and 4 mph isn't worth worrying about. If you know the distance, then figure out a time that would approximate that distance. i.e. 4 miles at 4 mph = 60 minutes or 4 miles at 3 mph = 80. For my running, I usually end up doing progression runs where I start slow and speed up as I go. The average is 9:20 or so most days. However, I use 10 minute miles here because it is easy to do the math: 6 miles = 60 minutes, 7.2 miles = 72 minutes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I record the distance on a phone app (Strava) but don't use Strava's estimates as they are both gross calorie estimates and dreadfully exaggerated.

I enter the details of the the walk into this calculator and use the net calorie option.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I record the distance on a phone app (Strava) but don't use Strava's estimates as they are both gross calorie estimates and dreadfully exaggerated.

I enter the details of the the walk into this calculator and use the net calorie option.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Thanks for the link!
  • stefferdoos
    stefferdoos Posts: 1 Member
    I use the free Runkeeper app on my phone to track my time and distance. It also gives splits.
  • TheIncredibleMissE
    TheIncredibleMissE Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks, these are great! I eventually just did the math, and then figured out an average time estimate of how long it takes to walk the blocks in my neighborhood for the days I forget to check the clock again lol, but when I change my phone over and get a decent data plan I'm sooo going to try these apps 😊 thanks for the help!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Hey, how do you guys log your fastkwalk and jogging workouts if you don't have fitbits and you forgot to check the time when you left? I walked four and a half miles today and really pushed the last 2.5 or so, but because I went at varying speeds and I forgot to check the time, I don't know how to log this into my diary. Any ideas?

If you know the distance it's pretty easy to estimate net calories as long as you weren't race walking.

Weight (in lbs) X .30 X distance in miles

Speed has little to do with it, it's physics, it takes a certain amount of energy to move a give mass over a distance.

• TheIncredibleMissE
    TheIncredibleMissE Posts: 30 Member
    Hey thanks, that's pretty interesting!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2021
    Back in the old days, measuring on a map and guessing, then writing in a journal.

Then once I could drive, drive the route and use odometer.

Once mapping programs were invented, routing on those. I'll still plan routes using Google maps.

Then I got a Garmin watch 10 years ago.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    I use MapMyFitness from my iPhone or Apple Watch and link it to MFP. The calories are exaggerated but I just use them for comparison, not to eat back. Runkeeper is also a good app.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    For running I use ismoothrun on iOS and for walking my garmin watch. It cuts walks short unfortunately as the GPS isn't great, but it's good enough. Before getting this watch I guessed based on number of steps. Calories come from lbs * miles * 0.67 and lbs * miles *0.3ish
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Back in the old days, measuring on a map and guessing, then writing in a journal.

Then once I could drive, drive the route and use odometer.

Once mapping programs were invented, routing on those. I'll still plan routes using Google maps.

Then I got a Garmin watch 10 years ago.

I can relate - When Map My Run was first launched I could measure miles without having to get in the car. Still required calculating time/distance for pace. When I bought my first Garmin it was so much better. Today, there are several apps that leverage location services on your smart phone. It really depends how sophisticated you want to be. On occasions I don't have my Garmin, I estimate distance based on time and; pace based on perceived effort. Good enough for logging calories expended in a pinch.