How many calories should I aim to burn each day?

Options
Hi Guys

I recently was at the Gym and burnt 350cals on the Xtrainer in 30 mins.
If I did this every week day that adds up to 1750cals burnt over the week - not included what I might possibly be burning doing my weights programe also.

If I stick to my Calorie limit of around 1400 per day - will I be burning enough calories or should I be aiming to burn more each week?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am trying to plan when and how long I will be going for each day this week and I have no idea if I will not be doing enough.

Replies

• LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    your doing more than enough there! great effort, keep iot up :)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I don't know your weight but it sounds like a reasonable combination.

You can use the tools on MFP to work out what your base calorie intake should be to keep the same weight, then reduce that to lose weight. Eg for me, at 93kg and wanting to lose 2lb/week I need a net calorie intake of approx 1380kcals. If I was burning 300kcals in exercise, I could eat up to 1680, but I'm trying to eat no more than about 70% of my exercise cals at the moment.
  • kiwili
    Options
    Thank you very much :)
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me exercising and eating are a treat... I enjoy them both the more I exercise the more it get to eat, bonus!. If you do high burn exercise, you will experience an after-burn effect. That is you need to be doing what you would call 'hard' or 'very-hard' exercise for around 20 mins or more and your metabolism is continue to burn calories even after you have stopped exercising! I have been loosing around a 1kg (2lbs) a week eating upto or under my calorie goal ( set previously by livestrong.com and now myfitnesspal).

From a point of sustainability, you will need to find fitness and food habits that you enjoy... Inasmuch you need to look at lifestyle change rather than dieting or an exercise programme. From the fitness point of view a focus on social challenges or personal learning goals which can give drive and motivation to your exercise. Such as cycling 500 km in a month or developing your freestyle swimming technique. I would encourage you to use dailmile.com. Which can be a good way to interact with others and track your progress / achievements.

Hope that helps :-)
  • kiwili
    Options
    Thanks Fisherdj. I am hoping to start training for a 5 or 10 km walk/jog soon for some extra motivation.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    that's great .... you may find www.dailymile.com a good way to keep track ;-)