Macros

Should I be focusing on being within my macros goal by the end of the day, OR am I supposed to be focusing on it for each meal?

Because as of now I am just making sure that by the end of the day I am within the limits that I set.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There's no real benefit to having macro goals for each meal (unless you find from observation that having a certain amount of protein or fat for a meal helps with your overall satiety and makes it easier to hit your calorie goal overall).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    For weight management calories are the thing to watch.

I make sure to hit those Protein and Fat goals, those are minimum numbers to hit. Carbs I don't pay attention because if I'm getting enough protein and fat that's the important thing (for health and general nutrition. Again, calories for just weight.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    And, yeah. Per day...not per meal. In time you may find you naturally balance out your meals. Focus on protein and getting 4-6 servings of whole fruit and/or vegetables every day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I don't try to hit them for a particular day, even. I look for a good balance of fats, carbs, and prots, balancing out over several days.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    For me, a little of both. I check my macros for each meal to use as a gauge for my next meal or two, ultimately keeping within my range for the day. However, I also have medical concerns that I am navigating. I keep my carbs between 40-50 % of my diet. If I drop below that I have to deal with dehydration and fatigue. If I go higher then I have a hard time getting my protein in. It was a bit stressful at first but I don't really have to think too hard about it now. Also, as stated above, keeping the calorie count where it needs to be is key for weight loss.
  • Mom2JGS
    Mom2JGS Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone!!
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    What is a macro?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    CMB44512 wrote: »
    What is a macro?

Food is made up of protein, fat, and carbohydrates (unless it's alcohol). Those three things are referred to as "macronutrients." Some people track macronutrients in addition to (or as a substitute for) counting calories. They do this either to meet specific nutritional goals (there's a certain amount of fat and protein that we need) or because they find that certain goals help them feel more satisfied while managing their weight.
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    CMB44512 wrote: »
    What is a macro?

Food is made up of protein, fat, and carbohydrates (unless it's alcohol). Those three things are referred to as "macronutrients." Some people track macronutrients in addition to (or as a substitute for) counting calories. They do this either to meet specific nutritional goals (there's a certain amount of fat and protein that we need) or because they find that certain goals help them feel more satisfied while managing their weight.

Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Mom2JGS wrote: »
    Should I be focusing on being within my macros goal by the end of the day, OR am I supposed to be focusing on it for each meal?

Because as of now I am just making sure that by the end of the day I am within the limits that I set.

Calories should be the main focus for losing weight. There is no particular "magical" macro ratio or universal one size fits all macro ratio...for example, a bodybuilder is going to have a much different macro ratio than say an endurance athlete.

I try to get in a good amount of protein and really, that's about it macro wise...I couldn't care less otherwise and even with protein, I'm only vaguely aware of where I might be because I don't log and just keep lose tallies of things in my head. I namely focus on a nutritionally sound diet...plenty of veg, some fruit, fibrous foods like whole grains, beans, lentils...lean proteins, and healthy fats. That's about as complicated as it gets for me.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Mom2JGS wrote: »

IMHO, part of this answer really depends on you. Do you need to manage them at a meal level in order to make your macro and calorie goals for the day? If so, then you may need to manage them at a meal level. Otherwise, just focus on hitting them for the day.

For me, part of being healthy is putting myself in a position to succeed at what I am trying to do. For example, it helps me to put the meals I know that I am going to eat today into MFP in the morning. It fills up a lot of what I will consume in the day and gives me a sense of where my macros are before I start adding the rest of the food. It allows me to make choices that enable me to hit the daily macros and protein goals I am setting for myself.

For me, there is a magical macro range for me when it comes to my body losing weight. It took me some time to figure out what works well for my body. Also, note this isn't a magical formula and my optimal macro ratio won't necessarily be the same as yours.

Also, my calorie requirements, protein levels, etc will vary with my activity levels. I need to fuel my body differently on days I plan to hike 12 miles in the mountains or play 2 hours of ice hockey. I have been enjoying learning what works better for my body and continuing to progress in that area.