Why no credit for strength training?

Options
Can somebody explain to me why when I put my exercise in that I don't get credit for strength workout. I do 5 separate abdominal exercises and I have them under strength. Is that where they should go? I am pretty sure I am burning something since I see smoke coming out of my ears after the workout! Just kidding but you know what I mean.

Also anybody over 50 that has any good ideas to help with workouts please pass them along......

Thanks,

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You have to log it under cardio.
  • Klchros
    Options
    There is a "strength training" option under Cardio that you can record it under to get your points.
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Post it under
    Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort

This is what I do.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Post it under

This is what I do.

Better yet, get yourself a good HRM with a chest strap so you know exactly what you're burning...
    Guessing usually ends up being way overestimated.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely get the credit for the ab exercises... are you adding the ab workout to your cardio section of the exercise diary? If you add the ab workout under the strength training section only it will not be reflected in your total calories …..you need to list it in the cardio section of your exercise diary as well.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You can put it there..in the strength training portion..but I have learned that it is also on the cardio portion and tells you what you have burned..but they are not always accurate..soo.. I found a site that actually says it is a calculator on what you have burned..here it is.. on pretty much any physical workout activity..hope it helps :smile:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Post it under

This is what I do.

Better yet, get yourself a good HRM with a chest strap so you know exactly what you're burning...
    Guessing usually ends up being way overestimated.

HRMs can't accurately measure strength training. They are made to measure repetitive cardio so the number you get is not technically correct as far as calories. My fiance uses a HRM for strength training and subtracts 100-200 calories to make up for it; I just consider strength training a bonus and only log my cardio calories.
  • dannylives
    Options
    I GOT THIS FROM THE "HELP" SECTION AT TOP OF THE SCREEN:

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I GOT THIS FROM THE "HELP" SECTION AT TOP OF THE SCREEN:

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.

Hence the reason I don't want to add them in for "calories burned" I eat enough calories back and since everything is a rough guess I figure what I do burn from strength training, makes up for the miscalculations of any food measurements...
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's too many variables for strength training to work. The category under cardio is a wild, shot-in-the-dark, guess. You really need to wear a HRM to find out your personal burn.

Me bench pressing 100# would be completely different from you doing it.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM that gives a calorie burn estimate when I do resistance work. I generally push myself pretty hard and have my heart rate around 130-140 during strength training. I feel it is quite accurate based on heart rate and perceived exertion.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM that gives a calorie burn estimate when I do resistance work. I generally push myself pretty hard and have my heart rate around 130-140 during strength training. I feel it is quite accurate based on heart rate and perceived exertion.

Agree that the HRM is the most accurate way to calculate calories burned. I just bought one and I love it!
  • SapphoSensei
    Options
    So glad I checked this thread. I do a "fitcamp" and was only registering my spin exercise. But I know I was burning something up during the core strength building part too!

Tip for over 50.... variety. I did a bootcamp this summer which was outside and fun. Lots of hard work. I am taking a fitcamp (5 people 1 trainer) at a local gym that is not the one I usually workout at. Sometimes I go to a 1x class just to move and do something different like zumba. Finally one of the best calorie burners for me is hiking. I try to do one moderate mountain hike a month.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Agree that the HRM is the most accurate way to calculate calories burned. I just bought one and I love it!

Same here.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I think what I am going to do is keep it under strength right now and not in cardio. I do between 60 to 85 minutes of cardio every day and that should be enough to cover me for calories burned. I'll take what I burn in strength as an unknown and not record that in cardio.

Again, you guys are great to go to and glad to be on here!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bumping in to read replies.

Thanks,

Gary